FIFA Women’s World Cup 2023 Coverage

Coverage finished at 8:37 pm

9 Likes

Broadcast concludes at 20:35 (AEST)

3 Likes

Pfff, Our Cathy™ surely did better, probably 20 million, and that’s even with our population only being 18 and a half mil in 2000!

:crazy_face: :crazy_face: :crazy_face:

Sorry, I’m being a dope, and don’t take that any way but that :slight_smile:

Though given it seemed like the Deakin survey was a web form mainly going around via word-of-mouth… it’s certainly close to a plausible number but that’s all it could ever be, speculation, and maybe something for Deakin to put out in a news release or something in The Conversation as unis do these days (which I haven’t seen them do).

On a serious note, will be interesting to see how tonight turned out and also tomorrow’s final. Despite the sputtering out at the end, I suspect fourth place for the Matildas was still a lot better than anyone realistically imagined, especially after the horror start of losing Sam Kerr for most of it (our collective hope, of course, went a lot further!).

2 Likes

I thought I’d seen her do better on Optus (back before she was 7News sports reader).

2 Likes

As mentioned on the Sunrise thread:
At 1030am, Seven will be showing “Celebrate the Matildas: Brisbane Fan Event” (live)

The Matildas will be given the Keys to Brisbane in that special event.

(i’m assuming that The Morning Show Highlights Show will be out in Eastern States)

3 Likes

Matildas v Sweden draws 6.25 million

The Matildas’ inspiring FIFA Women’s World Cup 2023™ journey came to an end last night as they faced Sweden in the battle for the third-place position.

Sweden’s 2-0 win over the Matildas reached 6.25 million Australians, with the match drawing an average national total audience of 3.38 million on Seven and 7plus.

The game’s average audience of 3.38 million included a national broadcast audience of 2.99 million viewers on Seven (2.14 million in the capital cities) and another 398,000 viewers on 7plus.

The Matildas v Sweden match was the #1 broadcast program last night nationally and in the capital cities in all people, 25 to 54s and 16 to 39s.

The pre-game program was the #3 broadcast program nationally with 966,000 broadcast viewers. Seven delivered the top six programs nationally in 16 to 39s last night and top five in 25 to 54s.

7plus dominated BVOD viewing yesterday, with a 67.1% share. In live streaming, it had an 77.9% share.

The game peaked at 3.63 million viewers on broadcast and dominated its broadcast timeslot with a 72.7% commercial audience share in total people, 79.8% in 25 to 54s and 85.2% in 16 to 39s.

Seven’s coverage of the FIFA Women’s World Cup 2023™ has reached 14.48 million broadcast viewers so far, plus another 3.64 million on 7plus. More than 488 million minutes of content has been watched on 7plus to date.

Managing Director Seven Melbourne and Head of Network Sport, Lewis Martin, said: “Last night’s incredible match showcased the Matildas’ unwavering determination and passion on the global stage. Their journey may have ended, but their legacy will continue to resonate with every Australian for decades to come.

"As we gear up for the exhilarating FIFA Women’s World Cup 2023™ final with the world’s eyes upon us, this global event demonstrates the power of live and free sport to unite the nation and inspire a future generation.”

7 Likes

Seven might regret not airing Voice tonight, though possibly was unavoidable due to run time (even with editing) and WWC Final start time, as Block will be able to air at least 60min before the soccer begins and there might not be the same interest in the Pre Game.
It also could be because they want to maximise 6pm news exposure and lead-in for tonight’s game vs Voice’s probably different demographic at least for a large portion and if the game doesn’t rate as high as expected might’ve done worse than if Voice lead-in.
However, IMO given recent ratings results (regardless of Matildas), tonight should be set for another ending with a bang.

4 Likes

David Basheer and Grace Gill calling the final for Seven tonight. I thought Seven would use the world feed commentary instead.

4 Likes

Nikki Webster was a guest at the Matildas celebrations today singing Strawberry Kisses.

9 Likes

I think there are hoping for some interest in the match - and I think there will be. Keep familiar, local voices.

6 Likes

Spain beat England 1-0 in the Final.

Post match presentations was held on the field. Medallions were given to the referees. And then Spain lifted the trophy.

Then went to the “Seven Studio” at the stadium. It’s still airing. Of course Seven are extending the post-match segment as much as they can.

4 Likes

Will be interesting to see how much the ratings drop off. It’s just dragging on and on now… hurry up with The Latest:

3 Likes

Coverage eventually finished… at 10.56pm.

There was a couple of minutes of a “highlights package” shown at the end of their coverage.

7 Likes

What does anyone think of tournament coverage by Optus Sport and Seven?

I think from the technical point of view Optus has clearly learned from the debacle of men’s World Cup 2018. Apart from occasional glitches at live sites, there had not been many complaints about the Optus broadcast. The experience Optus gained during the WWC will be invaluable in its bid for the rights to the 2026 men’s World Cup and the 2027 women’s World Cup.

As for Seven, it definitely secured a bargain for the reported $5 million cost for the sub-licence, thanks to the run of the Matildas. Its coverage had been generally good, but I am not sure if Bruce McAvaney was really needed.

10 Likes

He’s a legend of Australian sports broadcasting. So I understand why he was brought on to the coverage.

https://x.com/keepupau/status/1693197426679751003?s=46&t=p849RpnWCeGGuzI4QaykiA

He summarised the World Cup quite well

6 Likes

5 Likes

They would have asked him and I would say he would have wanted to do it.

2 Likes

Good to know re Optus broadcasts, I’ve long been sceptical about the reliability of streaming for major sports broadcasts, but I think having Seven broadcast the main games like the Matildas and semi finals onwards took a lot of pressure off its infrastructure.

Only $5 mil for those huge ratings?! They certainly won’t get it that cheap next time around, though that will depend on location. Would be interested to see how they priced ad spots for the last 3 Matildas game, I suspect they may have underestimated what the ratings would have been and those customers would have gotten some great bang for their ad bucks.

2 Likes

I have to agree. His comments were quite pointless and interrupted the commentary by the true soccer legends. He was obviously just rolled out for nostalgic value.

4 Likes

I do wonder whether 10 considered putting in a bid to Optus for this. $5 to $10 mil for a Matildas run seems like a bargain.

3 Likes