Fetch TV

Thank you for that.

Is Fetch having some kind of subscription sale? I added a pack and was charged $4.26 instead of $6?!

Maybe you’re being charged part of the month to bring you in line with your other packages and then next month it will be $6.

2 Likes

hmmm maybe. It was only the 2nd Jan though. Maybe they have odd billing cycles. Will have to see.

The minimum term is supposed to be one month, at least if you got Fetch directly - but if you got Fetch through your ISP rather than a standalone box, maybe they’re aligning it with your monthly internet billing?

1 Like

They will leave Fetch on March 31 according to @Blackbox.

2 Likes

So Fetch is losing Net Geo, Nat Geo Wild and MSNBC ?

Are they gaining any extra channels to replace them?

I’m guessing you mean E! and not MSNBC?
It’s pretty hard to get replacement channels when Foxtel just buys the content rights and makes their own channels in house. Not a lot of linear channels are being launched in Australia that aren’t owned by Foxtel.

2 Likes

No, I’m referring to MSNBC as it’s content will be available on the Flash streaming service in March, as has been mentioned in the foxtel discussion.

So how is Fetch “losing” MSNBC…? It’s just not exclusive anymore but they’re not losing it entirely like Nat Geo

The question is will Foxtel have ‘exclusive’ rights to MSNBC, via Flash, on Feb 1. If it’s not exclusive, then it will obviously be staying on Fetch.

This is following a worldwide trend - Foxtels current business model needs linear channels so it makes sense that they’re doing it with their own branding

1 Like

It’s actually two separate channels/streams here which might be being conflated, which I’m going to paraphrase TV Blackbox on:

• MSNBC will be on Foxtel from March 1, on Foxtel mainline as well as Flash
  • There will also be the NBC News Now stream, which will be available on Flash from March 1 (it’s currently available as a YouTube stream here and I suspect that won’t change).

I don’t see anything yet saying that Fetch are going to lose MSNBC, but if they did I suspect they’d be keeping mum on it until next month. I don’t see a reason why NBCU would want to remove reach for its news streams though.

It is, of course, going to lose E! at the end of January like Foxtel is, given most of that content will be on 7Bravo now. That info is made clear(ish) on their site already, with the E! box in the streaming packs page replaced with a message to that effect.

3 Likes

https://ausdroid.net/2023/01/27/fetch-and-foxtel-lose-national-geographic-channels-sky-nz-likely-as-well/?amp

Confirmed Nat Geo and Nat Geo Wild will be gone from Fetch on 31st March as it will only be available on Disney+.

Looks like a global strategy by Disney to close down their linear channels and put all content onto Disney+.

1 Like

Yes, hopefully Comcast won’t what WarnerMedia did with CNN, when it went down the ‘exclusivity’ path and it was subsequently removed from Fetch and other streaming platforms worldwide nearly 2 years ago, to focus on one distribution partner per country or territory.

If MSNBC disappears - CNBC will too

4 Likes

I reckon there will be an increase in FAST channels to compensate for the imminent channel removals. You and I know that would be a shit compromise but I reckon the average viewer would be oblivious to how low value they are.

4 Likes

FETCH TV renews its channel distribution agreement with NBCUNIVERSAL

5 Likes

C21 reports that Fetch TV has appointed Alex Glass as chief product officer and chief technology officer. He brings more than 20 years of industry experience in senior roles at Sky (UK), Comcast (US) and The Platform (US).

In addition, Fetch chief operating officer Fred Hopley, a 14-year company veteran, will be departing the firm mid-year to move into the field of clean energy.

4 Likes

Nice resume! Interesting times ahead

2 Likes