Federal Politics

Its not Perth, its Adelaide

1 Like
2 Likes

Wow. I’m surprised. I wonder what the written judgement will say to explain the court’s reasoning for rejecting both complaints.

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/comment/free-speech-denied-in-the-high-court-of-australia-in-bernard-gaynor-case-20170824-gy3enh.html

The drawbacks with the status quo are demonstrated through a simple counterfactual: what if Gaynor had instead vocally praised the ADF’s approach? He would still be an army reservist. Indeed, this is what the APSC wants of public servants – its guidance stressed “this doesn’t stop you making a positive comment on social media about your agency.” But the contest of ideas – the Miltonian concept underlying much of the philosophical grounding for free speech – becomes moot if only one side can speak. Such “content-based” restrictions on expression should be subject to exacting scrutiny.

Whether we agree with their views or not, every member of Australian society should be able to engage in political debate without fear of retribution by the state. That includes public servants and those enlisted in the armed forces. In refusing to hear Gaynor’s appeal, the High Court has missed a significant opportunity to protect freedom of expression in this country. Our democracy is poorer for this omission.

A shame that adding an explicit freedom of speech to the Australian Constitution has also been rejected; while public servants obviously should be careful about being impartial and so not openly criticising - nor praising - the gov’t of the day, don’t recent events show why the current situation (a lack of constitituonally protected speech) is a problem?

Ha. Now they’re interested in freedom of expression. :roll_eyes:

Who (“they”)?

R E S P E C T F U L

1 Like

Are rape jokes also respectful? Asking for a friend.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/coalition-disgust-over-vile-filth-tweets-of-gay-vows-campaigner/news-story/af7579ee984fd04c6702a61377c2d340

Given News Corp’s paywall I’ll just have to guess what threat of violence is in that report (until it is reported elsewhere).

On the ABC Radio Melbourne thing, it seems someone (Faine?) screwed up by being so surprised as to ask for clarification and so running out the delay. Hopefully a warning for other radio call-ins.

Try this link: http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/gay-marriage/coalition-mps-lash-out-at-vile-tweet-by-samesex-marriage-advocate/news-story/9aa68a1b5dd19bd9e29015bae099d80c

But here was the tweet.

A sad day when the Central Committee of the Supreme LNP are engaging in central planning for private companies:

So much for the LNP being the party of business & less government interference?
Where’s the Finance Minister lashing out about the Soviet threat from his own party?
Will the LNP at least shut up with their overblown nonsense about Labor somehow being a bunch of communists who are going to destroy business?

In hindsight Faine probably should have dumped it. But surely more people would be thinking “gee Don, you’ve overstepped the mark this time” than be nodding in furious agreeo.

One thing I like about Raf Epstein is he’ll read out the vile texts other ABC presenters usually won’t touch in order to shine a light on the scumbags like Don.

Outrage! Outrage! Outrage!

In reality, it was probably some far-left loser characterising what he thinks is a far-right view, in another fake-hate incident. They’re becoming really boring (and so obvious to spot by anyone with half a brain!).

That radicalised far-left “news” site indeed looks as its labelled - junk.

1 Like

Ha. Thanks for posting that ando, shows once again quite clearly how only some isolated incidents from hateful individuals concern those on the far-left.

The thing that irks me about this ‘we shouldn’t have a debate over same sex marriage because it involves civil rights’ thing is that such a blanket reason (we shouldn’t do X because Y involves [concept generally everyone agrees on]) can be applied to so many different topics to shut down discussion even though a lot of people will object to it.

Here’s an example.

Imagine if someone said that we shouldn’t have a debate on, say, whether we should ban animal products (primarily large volume sales like meat) from sale in Australia.

If you look at it from one perspective, it makes total sense to ban sales of meat. Animal welfare is clearly something that everyone agrees on. Anyone who disagrees with promoting animal welfare is a total piece of shit who should be totally disregarded because they think that animals don’t deserve to live a life without needless pain and suffering.

Even with ‘humane’ killing, most animals are kept in squalid, unnatural conditions for most of their lives which obviously distress them. We live in a modern world where other plant-based alternatives for the most common animal products are available. Why should people be allowed to buy products made from slaughtered animals which have been kept in poor conditions for their short lives just because they find it more palatable and enjoyable?

Of course animal products would probably still be required for certain medicines and other applications, but far fewer animals would be required to be killed…

Now, there is the other side of the story which most people who are not vegetarians today would believe, which is that…animal lives are worth considerably less than human lives/we’re at the top of the food chain, and so it’s OK to kill them for food. There’s also the argument that we ‘naturally’ have evolved to eat meat, so we should be allowed to continue eating meat.

Any point brought up by people opposing the change could be opposed with “We’re no longer barbarians. Tradition is no excuse for cruelty or harm - If we continued traditions we’d still have slavery, ritual sacrifice of children, etc. Have some empathy for the poor animals who are suffering for your dining pleasure.”

So tell me, why shouldn’t the Australian Government legislate to ban the sale of most animal meat products effective immediately? Why should we have a debate over this when the logical conclusion is so clearly in favour of banning meat products?

Now let’s change a few things around…

Imagine if someone said that we shouldn’t have a debate on, say, whether we should allow gay people to marry (polygamous marriages still not permitted though) in Australia.

If you look at it from one perspective, it makes total sense to allow gay people to marry. Civil rights is clearly something that everyone agrees on. Anyone who disagrees with civil rights is a total piece of shit who should be totally disregarded because they are probably homophobes, racists and bigots.

Even with ‘traditional’ marriage, around 33% of couples will eventually divorce, which flies in the face of the supposed ‘sanctity of marriage’. We live in a modern world where LGBT people are well-accepted in society. Why should LGBT people be excluded from being permitted to marry their significant other just because they are of the same sex?

Now, there is the other side of the story which most people would believe, which is that marriage is sacred and traditions, etc. etc. etc.

I could probably refute any point that anyone brings up with “We’re no longer barbarians. If we continued traditions we’d still have slavery, ritual sacrifice of children, etc. Have some empathy for the people who can’t marry the people they love.”

So tell me, why shouldn’t the Australian Government legislate to allow LGBT people to marry effective immediately? Why should we have a debate over this when the logical conclusion is so clearly in favour for legalising it?

I hope people can understand where I’m coming from here. The first block of text with the meat ban is something that would be scoffed at today (as the article linked below probably was), but in 20-30 years I’d imagine there would be a fairly strong push for it (maybe sooner if they make a few advances in lab grown meat…).

The second block of text with same sex marriage is something you’d probably have seen written in a university magazine 20-25 years ago, was scoffed at at the time, yet it is something that is agreed with by (probably) a majority of people in this country.

I guess my point is, everyone has a different perspective of the issue, and that’s why it’s important for a diverse range of opinions to be aired to understand the reasons why people think the way they do.

A few things:
I should say that I am a total omnivore and consume meat for entirely selfish reasons.
I’m also voting Yes in the survey (have I mentioned this enough?).

4 Likes

:heart::blue_heart::green_heart::yellow_heart::purple_heart:

Mmmmm… bacon…

1 Like

Sure sweetie, that’s totally what happened.

Why is it the right has a complete lack of standards (consistency)?
In one breath saying That’s obviously lefty-generated fakery, then immediately turning around with Look at this proof that the left are hateful!

It’s an easy answer. Because it’s easy to blame a boogieman. And because, despite the fact we’re all Australians, segments of the right have shifted into believing that left-wing politics is their mortal enemy.

You’re starting to see the right wing take sides with, or at least defend the actions of, neonazis and white supremacists. They hate us more than people who advocate putting others (Jews, LGBT) to death. And we’re going to see a lot more of that happening.

It’s scary, because these are our fellow countrymen.

1 Like