Federal Politics

What are everyone’s thoughts on this news that a survey says that half of all University students have been sexually assaulted, with the overwhelming majority of them being women?

I personally find it extremely difficult to believe. It would mean that almost all women going to university have been assaulted within the past year!

I suspect that there is an agenda being pushed, and that they are using a very low benchmark for the word ‘assault’.

3 Likes

It’s complete rubbish…some sort of bizarre feminist agenda. I’m sure 90% of female Arts students would claim rape if they were even looked at by a male in their tutorial.

2 Likes

This is from the report.

2 Likes

That chart seems about right, especially over the course of 2 years considering the questions asked.
The way the results have been communicated… not so much.

4 Likes

This is the frustration with the stupidity of that view (which you’re describing, not your view); if people hate pollies, then why want another one (which is what we’ll get if the public vote for someone for president)?

While I don’t want a popularly-elected president, if a majority of idiots, sorry voters, vote for some nutter (or useless sportsperson), well then yes (sadly) that person does representing a majority of that country…welcome to democracy.

2 Likes

Yes the numbers in that chart are believable (sadly), while the misleading mess of numbers in the reporting (including on ABC News just now) is disappointing.

The problem with harrassment is the subtle ones can be subjective and so can be dismissed as misunderstandings, but also in some cases where someone has been a victim of harrassment it wouldn’t surprise me if that person is then hyper-vigilant, perhaps misunderstanding/reading more into conduct than intended, fearing where someone else may not even notice.

Too often all it takes is a few bad people who run rampant harrassing and worse many victims until they finally get stopped.
It’s a shame much of the reporting hasn’t been better at trying to clearly show the problems and what should be done.

I believe it. From the stories I’ve heard, absolutely it’s as bad as those figures suggest. All fuelled by alcohol.

as a current student - i don’t.
this survey stinks and the results do not reflect what i see daily on campus

@Firetorch Do you have a blog?

As with all surveys, need more information regarding who has compiled it, and the methods used.

Half of all the women you know at uni have been sexually assaulted? :thinking: *cough * Bullshit *cough *

Why are they major advantages?

I see them as major disadvantages.

1. that’s like saying the CEO of Coca Cola Amatil can only drink Coke - personally, I would want someone that has a wider breadth of outlook heading the company. (In any case, she’s the Queen of Australia - that makes her Australian).
  2. as with the Chancellor of a university, or a Chairman of the Board of the company, I see the element of detachment as a plus.
  3. the world is becoming more interconnected with many supra-national organisations having significant influence; our connectedness in such a fundamental way with other nations is a plus.

No why?

Mark Latham had a website and a YouTube show and I’m asking if you have a similar outlet.

True - but we have democracy in the form of the election of our government (and indirectly, our PM).

Just as carbon and iron are stronger combined as steel, I find the combination of different forms of appointment at the top of our governance a major plus - a democratically elected government, and monarchy is much stronger in my view than a democratically elected government and democratically elected President.

1 Like

I’ve seen it from both sides. I had mates (no longer really see them) who talked about their nights with very obviously drunk women - weren’t even trying to hide the fact that whoever they slept with was obviously too drunk to be responsible.

I’m not sure if the statistics are necessarily accurate (although a sample size of 40,000 is massive), but I can see it being close to the mark. Even if the numbers were half what they were, they’d be unacceptable.

1 Like

Do you think I should start one? Do I have my first subscriber already? Haha!

1 Like

In most of those cases the males are obviously very drunk too - nothing is ever said about whether the male has the capacity to consent, though.

It’s a large sample, if so - but if it’s self-selecting, it’s junk statistics.

I don’t believe it would be more than 5%, if that.

This is just a lazy attempt by dopey Australians who read about the “rape culture in US universities” wanting to apply it to Australia, with no thought or critical analysis as to how far-fetched it sounds.

Another thing - unis in Australia are mostly frequented by those who live in the same city - ie. drive or PT in, attend classes, drive or PT back out to home. The proportion of on campus colleges compared with the US and UK is TINY. Where are these sexual assaults even happening? 80% of Australian females at university catch PT in for a tute at 9am, study in the library til 1pm, attend a lecture and then head home.

Total bullshit statistics.

Pleeeeaaaasssseee don’t politicise this.

1 Like

It’s literally junk statistics compiled to play politics. Your artificial attempt to earnestly pretend that I am somehow being inconsiderate by questioning statistics designed to smear, is quite bizarre.