Federal Politics

How embarrassing for Victoria.

1 Like

What a shame. Would’ve loved to see Palmer’s millions of dollars spent on his ludicrous campaign blow up in his face without one seat. I guess if you keep banging on about the same thing some will fall for it eventually.

2 Likes

I don’t know. A lot right parties get a small percentage of the vote. It just so happens it was United Australia here. They did do a lot of campaigning here and went to the protests. So it’s bound to happen. It’s less than 6% of the vote they got in the senate so it’s not that embarrassing.

Shattered

All the independents still complaining about staffing resources are starting to lose me. These types of highly political issues are the exact type of things people vote for independents to get away from.

There are a lot of advantages to being an independent, but the downside is not having the resources of a big party machine. That is the deal they should have realised they were signing up to.

1 Like

The extra staffing was only brought in by Morrison and Turnbull as a way of keeping the independents happy. It was basically corruption.

or democracy, depending on which side you fall. Whether people like it or not the system is set up on the system of you scratch my back, and I’ll scratch yours.

Good news. Probably will get a mention on Media Watch next week.

2 Likes

Bernard Collaery should not have been charged in the first place. Remember he only revealed the secrets after he asked the Inspector-General of Intelligence and Security for advice.

The next step should be the passing of new laws protecting whistleblowers so it won’t happen again. A federal ICAC should also be set up to investigate the East Timor operation and press charges.

The East Timor bugging saga has seriously damaged diplomatic relations between it and Australia, and will take years to repair.

2 Likes

Do you think Scott Morrison will be forced to resign before the next election?

There are so many scandals he has been involved in and I just wonder how he can survive his shady past.

2 Likes

Can’t be forced to resign by anyone, only thing that may come up could be something in contravention of s.44. Worst that could happen is he’s booted out of the Liberal Party but that won’t happen to a former PM however bad he is.

Could he be forced to resign in the event that a federal Corruption integrity board is formed?

Possibly, but that would probably be tied into s.44 if he were to be charged and convicted of a crime. Surely even he would resign before it got that far.

1 Like

Failed to win a single seat in either the HoR or the Senate