Federal Politics

2 Likes

Mmm hmm :thinking:

Iā€™m sure tens of thousands of refugees and asylum seekers would disagree

It was not known back then how it would turn out. If the pandemic had dropped out, theyā€™d be calling for his head for spending billions on a contract with big business for their mates on something that didnā€™t turn out.

It was, who still uses it? I never even downloaded it. Donā€™t each of the states and territories have their own one now?

That doesnā€™t make sense.

Absolutely.

I respect someone for generally being right-leaning because they prefer more self-reliance, less regulation, etc., but ignoring the Morrison governmentā€™s gross incompetence, blatant waste of taxpayers money, running up the highest debt on record (before the pandemic, which brings to mind the LNPā€™s hypocrisy after their prior ā€˜debt & deficitā€™ exaggerations), and neglecting their responsibilities, is totally unreasonable.

Claiming Morrison & his ministers are competent seems to be either deranged or trolling, the latter of which is obviously fun for some people.

In case Iā€™m wrong, to the original question; I think Laborā€™s good a very good team. There are quite a few who were very good ministers before the 2013 election (including Penny Wong & Tanya Plibersek, who werenā€™t mentioned in the question) plus newer MPs who appear both competent and interested in doing a good job.

Labor seems to have a good reserve of potential/future ministers too, whereas the LNP appear to have been scraping the bottom of the barrel for years now (otherwise why ignore past scandals & bring back to the ministry Barnaby Joyce, Bridget McKenzie, Stuart Robert to name just three?).

The LNP need a good amount of time in opposition and to hopefully get new/fresh talent into Parliament in a couple of elections; until they do, they deserve to stay in opposition.

6 Likes
1 Like

Iā€™m struggling to work out how anything he has said there (re: Kyrgios) could be construed as a swipe at Grace Tame. If there is a reference there (and Iā€™m inclined to doubt it), heā€™s done a very good job at being subtle.
That in itself makes me think thereā€™s no reference that heā€™s made as subtlety is, to be fair, just one of the many things that arenā€™t his strong suit.
I think Sarah Hanson-Young might be drawing a bit of a long bow here and implying things where there is nothing substantial to back it up.

Those are two different things. The swipe at Grace Tame happened the day before when he made the comment about himself and his wife welcome people to their homes with a smile, after there werenā€™t smiles all round for the cameras. The praise for Nick Kyrgios speaking his mind happened the day after that.

2 Likes

Thanks for clearing that up, appreciate it.

Each state has their own one now which is a much more manual process - ie you physically need to scan and check in because there was so much confusion and misinformation about the original government one. Everybody and the media were jumping on the ā€œI donā€™t want the government to track me and who I meet withā€ bandwagon even though it wasnā€™t going to do that. It was also designed and made before Apple and Android made changes to make features for similar tracking apps available and built into the OS. It was doomed to fail because the media was so against it and kept pointing out all the flaws whether they existed or not and so it would never get any traction.
In the end, QR codes have probably been better but did require every state to develop their own app.

Newspoll: 56-44 to Labor

The first Newspoll of the year, courtesy of The Australian, is a horror result for the Morrison government, crediting Labor with a lead of 56-44, out from 53-47 in the final poll in December. Labor is up three on the primary vote and the Coalition down two, to 41% and 34% respectively, with the Greens up one to 11% and One Nation steady on 3%.

4 Likes

Gotta love The Australianā€™s effort at pie charts.

6 Likes

Seriously. :roll_eyes:

Libs attacking Libs

1 Like

so i have crunched the dates for a possible election. percentages are my guess it will be called for that day. think of it like a meatorolgist forcasts rain.

Election Day Must be called by Notes
March 5 Jan 31 won't happen. 0%
march 12 Feb 7 Long weekend in ACT, TAS & Vic. 10% at best
March 19 Feb 14 SA Election. 25% chance.
March 26 Feb 21 33% chance. depends on if he wants to go pre or post budget
April 2 Feb 28 33% chance also.
April 9 March 7 Qld & ACT School Hols. 25%
April 16 March 14 Easter weekend. 0%
April 23 March 21 ANZAC day long weekend. Campagin would include easter. 5% at best
April 30 March 28 0%. Federal budget is set for March 29. if he gets this close, they will do the buget due to the free press.
May 7 April 4 First Chance post budget. Campagin period would include easter. possible. 50%
May 14 April 11 This is the day if he wants to go post budget. 90% chance.
May 21 April 18 Last possible day. this reeks of desperation. 75% chance.
6 Likes

Bad news for Scott Morrison overnight #Libspill

That pie chart was produced by the Fox News graphics department.

1 Like

I think this is a pretty good summation of the possible election dates.

I would agree that the May 7-14-21 block is the most likely timing for the election. Morrison has said in the past that the wants to go full term, and if the current poll numbers are any indication, heā€™ll want to stick by that for now.

It seems highly unlikely he will call a March-early April election now. Right now the biggest issue is RAT supply, and it will be fresh in voters minds. You can basically rule out April with the combination of school holidays, Easter, and ANZAC Day.

May, as you said, allows Morrison to deliver a budget, which he can pack full of the traditional pre-election sweetners.

Donā€™t forget the remote possibility of a split House and Half-Senate election. He can leave a House election until September and just have the Half-Senate by May 21, but this seems incredibly improbable.

the only reason i gave March 19, March 26 and April 2 the percentages i did was in case he wants to go before parliament comes back to avoid the issues of last sitting where there were backbenchers who went full rogue and refused to pass anything until the govt gave in to them.

canā€™t see it happening. iā€™d give this sub 5% when they run on being better economic managers having a 2nd polling day would kill this.

I think there will be nothing pre - may 7 and it is possible - do the budget, run to the GG and pirogue parliment before estimates can examine his budget.

i think May 14 is the day

1 Like