Federal Election 2016 Media Coverage

Exactly the same reason Seven hid Chris Bath for the last 18mths of her time at 7, to cover the fact the weekend presenter is better than the main presenter.

5 Likes

How did they hide Bathie? Off the top of my head, she was involved in the last State Election night, she co-anchored major coverage of the Malaysia Airlines crashes and was sent to Gallipoli to anchor Anzac Day coverage during her last 18 months at Seven (I’m sure there are more examples).

Similarly, Mel is Seven’s first pick for major news coverage (ie Paris last November and numerous other trips over the last few years). It just happened that she wasn’t available this time because the election has fallen right in the middle of the school holidays.

Any updates on any TEN coverage tomorrow night? If they’re bothering to do anything outside of the 5pm
national bulletin, it’s all been kept very quiet at this stage.

Embarrassing for them if WIN News has more coverage than they do, I think I read somewhere they plan on having reporters in most markets to report on developments.

5pm only at this stage as 7.30pm To Be Advised is now a repeat of MasterChef Australia.

That will be for the Monday I believe for WIN. Not on the Election night.

Part of 60 Minutes on Sunday

ELECTION 2016: THE RESULTS
Charles Wooley reports the latest results from Election 2016, the winners and losers, and assesses where Australia is headed now.
Reporter: Charles Wooley
Producer: Ali Smith

http://forums.mediaspy.org/t/insiders/765/14?u=tv.cynic

Wrong.
She read the 6pm news and was not involved in any other coverage.

You only have to look back on the number of occasions that Seven Sydney have hit the “Mark Alert” button on weekends in recent times and how Mark only had about 2-3 weeks of Summer holidays and a small handful of nights off during the year to know that they really want to do as much as possible to pretend that their Friday/Saturday newsreader in Sydney isn’t superior to their fairly average presenter on Sunday-Thursday. But that’s for another topic.

While I’m sure that Melissa Doyle won’t be involved in the coverage purely because it coincides with her mid-year holidays which were probably booked months ago, I wouldn’t be terribly surprised if Seven only allowed Mel a small role in their Federal Election coverage compared to Mark Ferguson if she was available…

A special edition of News Breakfast will be airing tomorrow . Hosted by Virginia Trioli and Michael Rowland from 6am-10am.

Presenting the peak half-hour of the evening counts as being involved in my book. They would have had Mark present that half hour if they had been deliberately trying to exclude Chris as was originally suggested.

You’re stretching now to suit your argument. She was merely involved in her regular job - reading the Saturday night news then wasn’t seen again which was ridiculous considering she had been front and centre on election nights for years.

Ferguson is going to get absolutely steam rolled by Latham, Jones and Lambie. Get the popcorn ready if you’re silly enough to sit through it.

3 Likes

I agree.

And to be honest, I think that Seven would probably only give Melissa Doyle a minimal (or none at all, outside her usual role of reading Sydney’s 6pm bulletin like any other Saturday night) role in their Federal Election coverage if she was available for it.

Huh? I thought it was meant to be Offspring?!

that is what I thought but seemingly though I am wrong.

The Sydney EPG has 7:30 MasterChef.

I was quite careful to say that she was “involved on election night” rather than in the actual election coverage.

I am as critical as anybody about the decisions that Seven has made in recent years but I do think it’s unfair to say that Chris was “hidden” away.

Early look at ABC’s set and graphics

6 Likes

Yep, as I expected. The ABC for me on election night.

ABC Election day coverage

1 Like

If Michael and Virginia were on, what were Andrew and Miriam doing?