Fast Food/Takeaways and Restaurants

Remove 24 nuggets? Then what will I have after a big session?

4 Likes

Most places I go to either say “Is that all” or “Anything else”.

2 Likes

KFC nuggets by far. HJs nuggets are good too, they’re like a hybrid between KFC and Macca’s nuggets.

2 Likes

That bucket was still around in some McDonalds when I was last in Japan in 2016, albeit the price wasn’t all that great. The 200 JPY deals they had at the time were extremely good though, as they were still in that period of redemption where they were trying to win back Japanese consumers after a bad run of publicity.

3 Likes

Clever advertising by McDonald’s over the Australia Day long weekend.

Like this :slight_smile:

1 Like

Carls Jr opened another Melbourne store in the Docklands the other week. I went to check it out on Saturday night and it was pretty busy… at least a 25 min wait for our food. Although of all the American food chains that have come here, for me Carls Jr is one of the rare ones that I actually like better here than the US. I was never a fan of Carls Jr over there (it came across more like Hungry Jacks to me) but in Aus it seems to be a bit more gourmet burger. Probably my second fave burger joint behind New York Minute.

1 Like

Heading over to NZ next week so I might give Wendy’s a go; they have an outlet in South Dunedin according to Google. I hope I don’t regret it afterward!

I will also probably visit Queenstown’s institutional Fergburger again; the trick there is to go mid-late morning when the hangover/breakfast crowd diminishes.

1 Like

I’m assuming that Wendy’s NZ is more like Wendy’s in the US rather than Wendy’s in Australia.

Wendy’s in NZ is the same as Wendy’s in the USA, they have both Wendy’s, Australia and US versions. Wendy’s AUS recently rebranded in NZ as Shake Shed & Co.

1 Like

Wish Wendy’s US would come to Australia :yum:

2 Likes

I’m also in NZ next week and plan on trying out Fergburger. Probably overrated but gotta give it a go.

Doesn’t that just roll off the tongue

1 Like

Having had Shake Shack in Japan in recent weeks and found myself pleasantly surprised that it was on par with when I last had it in NYC in 2013.

Would be great to see them expand into Australia. It is very apparent that a lot of burger restaurants rip off (or pay homage too) the style of burger that Shake Shack makes.

Grill’d is launching a new menu from March, which will feature more vegetarian and vegan burger iteams. Its aim is to have half of its burger menu plant-based by 2020.
https://www.heraldsun.com.au/business/the-big-change-coming-to-popular-grilld-burger-chain/news-story/fa8b94e972e89d3e3bb405c146caf2b4

Retail Food Group is looking to sell Donut King, Crust and Pizza Capers in a bid to cut their horrendous debt. RFG also announced a loss after a write down of their brands, an after tax profit of $6.6 million, and multiple sackings. They are in trouble.

When you’re essentially just selling a name - what exactly is the value of these master franchises?

They don’t own anything besides seeking rent from franchises that are suffering - of course they aren’t going to be profitable. Their attempts at becoming profitable on the backs of those franchises are what’s putting them in a death spiral.

I walk past a Crust every single day, but have never gone inside - why would I buy an expensive pizza from a chain like that, when I’ve got so many options around of local premium pizza places - or indeed just places with a nice old oven.

I think I’ve been to a Donut King in the last year, but there’s a 50/50 chance it was actually a Wendy’s. They aren’t memorable enough for me to care about the difference. I can get better donuts elsewhere, or just get some ok ones from a supermarket bakery.

The only hope for them finding buyers will be the US companies eyeing off entrances into the market - though every Crust turning into a Little Ceasers is unlikely, companies seeking aggressive expansion are about the only ones who would find any value in what they are trying to offload.

2 Likes

I prefer Wendy’s over Donut King, even there hot cinnamon donuts taste better than Donut King’s donuts.

Crust pizzas are actually quite good - I tried them when I went to the MCG for an AFL game.

I agree but they are just way too overpriced for takeaway pizzas. Why would I go there when I can get pizzas at Domino’s for a third of the price.

1 Like