Fast Food/Takeaways and Restaurants

I’m pretty sure that red and black design came after New Tastes Menu finished. I remember having to sticker up all the prices - what a pain in the ass that was.

One of those PDF’s I posted has the full catalogue of those translites.

1 Like

Apparently that New Tastes Menu was meant to be a permanent feature…

2 Likes

It was designed to be permanent with 4 items rotated monthly. Probably would have remained if it wasn’t for Super Size Me.

Thanks for those!

One of my earliest McDonald’s memories from the early 1980s was their “Southern Fried Chicken”. It was very similar to KFCs though.

1 Like

All day breakfast is better than any menu item McDonalds have ever or will ever produce.

2 Likes

I read somewhere a while ago that McDonald’s Southern Fried Chicken was discontinued in favour of Chicken McNuggets in the mid to late 80’s.

1 Like

4 Likes

The colonel cleans me out fairly quickly after I’ve eaten it.

6 Likes

Maybe KFC’s next step is into toilets. :wink: :rofl:

4 Likes

KFC= Slow to serve, with a quick exit.

They even have an ad on SC Central

3 Likes

Makes me think of the Scientology videos :flushed:

1 Like

McDonald’s just launched a new burger … and it’s truly huge

AS PART of its Big Mac 50th celebrations, from today Macca’s will be serving up more of the iconic burger, with the arrival of the Grand Big Mac.

According to the press release: “The Grand Big Mac burger is packed full of all the classic Big Mac ingredients but with more special sauce over two larger 100 per cent Aussie beef patties, with more lettuce, cheese, and onions, all served on a larger sesame seed bun.

Sounds delightful…

People who say that the Big Mac has definitely gotten smaller are looking through rose tinted glasses. The burger has remained the same in weight and dimensions ever since Maccas launched here and I’ve seen the evidence that shows this is true.

It’s just that people have gotten so used to massive portion sizes that they simply refuse to believe what they once saw as a humongous burger is now relatively small.

This Grand Mac appears to be basically a Double Quarter Pounder with lettuce, an extra bun dividing the patties and Big Mac sauce instead of the ketchup. So essentially a heart attack on a bun.

Don’t forget last year’s (I think) Mega Mac, which had four all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed buunnn…

I remember the Mega Mac cost something bloody ridiculous - in excess of $10 just for the burger which made me change my mind when I went to buy one.

Carl’s Jr does a pretty good knockoff of the Big Mac called the Big Carl. It doesn’t have the middle bun, but it does taste really good compared to a typical Big Mac.

5 Likes

From memory the reason why so many thought the burger shrunk is that the diameter of the buns has shrunk slightly over time, the actual size of the beef patties (1/10lb) has always stayed the same and the change to the overall weight of the burger is negligible.

I’m sure McDonald’s also had the Mega Mac once back in the 90s.

Probably one of the worst burgers I’ve ever had!

The meat was too dry, not enough sauce or anything else with it.

Oporto seems to be expanding around my area. It’s second store to open within a year and 2-3kms from the first one.

This one will at Broadmeadows Central in the food court where Salsas Fresh Mex Grill was.

1 Like

Oporto has never been big in Melbourne like it has in Sydney. There are only a few restaurants south of the border.

I guess the Melburnians don’t like the “Bondi Burger” moving in on their territory?

1 Like

I think the Oporto store at Broadmeadows Central will do far more better than the Roxburgh Park store which is only a few kms apart.

I find that they take far too long to make your order. Sometimes I go through drive-thru at Roxburgh Park it feels like it takes forever. Since Burger Edge opened in the same precinct I rather go there.

Although, one of them will probably close within the next 6-12 months