Fast Food/Takeaways and Restaurants

I had an iced coffee at a cafe recently which was $6.50 on the menu. When I asked to pay by card, it came up as $7.03 on the eftpos terminal. How are they allowed to charge 8% surcharge for not paying with cash? You’d think it would be to their advantage not to handle so much cash in these places.

2 Likes

Short answer is they are not. They can only charge 0.5 - 1.0% for debit cards and 1.0 - 1.5% for credit cards. ACCC surcharges

3 Likes

I was ripped off. :open_mouth: Is there any other reason they could add a surcharge? It was a regular weekday afternoon. :man_shrugging:

Maybe you just LOOK dumb and they thought you could be taken for a ride :grin:

Charming as always. Usually, I question these things but this time I didn’t want to kick up a fuss in a busy cafe. But I should have.

1 Like

Streaming service BINGE and burger brand Grill’d have teamed up on a new burger collaboration that is sure to please fans of ‘The Walking Dead’.

Maroondah City Council and VCAT have blocked a plan by developer Jasbe Bayswater North to transform the corner of Canterbury and Dorset roads in Bayswater North (in Melbourne’s outer east) with a 24/7 super service station, which would have included drive-through Carls Jr and Guzman N Gomez restaurants and a cafe, with room for more than 200 diners.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/outer-east/bayswater-north-vcat-blocks-bid-for-super-servo-including-drivethrough-carls-jr-guzman-y-gomez/news-story/57fc61a07dc918dcfd9d6eb81cad23f9

1 Like

Five years after entering Australia, Carl’s Jr has finally opened its first Sydney store this morning.

4 Likes

It appears it replaced a Red Rooster.

2 Likes

The Boiling Crab opened its doors in Glen Waverley on March 12. I happened to walk past the restaurant last weekend because of roadworks outside, which forced pedestrians to go around the site.

1 Like

Would love a store in Perth

If it’s anything like their rollout in other states the first store will either be at the airport or somewhere like Bunbury. They’ve had stores in regional NSW for years before actually opening one in the Sydney metro area.

3 Likes

Zambrero is opening in my town very soon and everyone is excited. Is it as good as they say? I’ve never tried it before. Guzman y Gomez is the closest alternative I’ve tried. It was ok.

I dont mind it, but I dont have a Guzman close enough to enjoy on a regular basis.

1 Like

Guzman Y Gomez is much better than Zambrero’s pulverised meat options IMO.

3 Likes

Not a fan of Guzman. I think it’s the bean mix that doesn’t agree with me. Tried Taco Bell for the first time a couple of months ago on the NSW south coast and really enjoyed it.

Anyone remember the name of the mexican outlet that used to operate downstairs in Westfield Miranda? Used to go there regularly several years ago.

1 Like

Salsas Fresh Mex?

The Mad Mex is still there. They also have El Camino Cantina in the new restaurant section.

1 Like

This one? I remember going there.

SMH, 1 March 1998

1 Like

That sounds right. Loved their enchiladas.

1 Like

Being from Perth I was super excited when a store opened up down the road from me in Melbourne. Whilst it was ok. It was not that great I’m afraid.

Almost a copy version of HJ’s/BK. I thought it’d be a bit more like In’n’Out or Shake Shack.