Fast Food/Takeaways and Restaurants

I often often ask for a water as part of my meal deal at Maccas.

I makes me feel less guilty about the Quarter Pounder and Cheese and large fries that I just ate!

1 Like

When I have bought a meal with a cappuccino as the drink, and have occasionally asked for a bottle of water I have sometimes been told I can have a cup of water for no charge.

I worked at McDonalds in Wynyard (Sydney city) 20 years ago. We use to give free meals to the police. Does that still happen today or would it be considered bribery?

Pretty certain all the major fast food chains still do this.

Thanks for letting me know Squee. I always thought it was a bit dicey giving the police free food. I am sure Maccas did it so they would receive preferential treatment if they ever called 000. It was kind of weird and not quite above board.

It looks like some things never change.

2 Likes

There’s a Sulvaki shop in Melbourne that boasts about giving free food to all ESO’s (Emergency Service Officers)

Yeah I’ve never been a fan. I’ve observed it personally a few times, always thought it was a little weird especially for police. It’s an even bigger thing in the US IIRC.

1 Like

Free :doughnut: in the :us: ?

2 Likes

Pretty sure they get half price, not free. I believe the intention is to encourage regular police presence.

1 Like

It took a few days, but Subway Australia has finally updated their website to carry the new look branding and logo, but instead of updating the current website, they’ve merged the Australian Brand with the US website and its layout. Typing in www.subway.com.au now automatically redirects to www.subway.com/en-au

Previous website (with elements of the lime green US branding):

New website with US layout:

A nice little Subway wrapper esque footer at the bottom with the previous logo:

Wow, that global Subway website is very dated looking compared to what Subway AU was before.

2 Likes

It’s probably optimised for tablets and phones. Big buttons and large areas to tap on are all the rage these days.

Carl’s Jr’s third Australian store will open at Mount Barker on the Adelaide Hills this Saturday (July 22). Who’s going to try the burgers there?
Can’t wait for the burger joint to open in Melbourne soon.

Mt Barker is a very unusual location for Carl’s Jr but when you look at where there other locations are, they haven’t gone to the CBD’s or major shopping or high traffic areas.

1 Like

I had a Subway roll in store yesterday.

One of the other changes is that the food is now served in little green baskets.

1 Like

Domino’s are apparently revamping their menu, increasing prices and reducing pizza sizes…

Some will probably remember when they were Silvio’s Dial-A-Pizza in Brisbane:

[https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6cjseF0t4M&t=223]

(wow the production values on that ad!)

The founder of that chain, Silvio Bevacqua, explains the story:

My ‘first’ venture into hospitality began with my brothers Felice, and my younger brother Aldo. Italian of course! In the small suburb of Red Hill in Brisbane, we created a small family restaurant called ‘Silvio’s Dial A Pizza’. Our family pioneered the Pizza Home Delivery business as it is known in Australia today. Growing to ultimately buy the defunct and failed Dominos Pizza Australasian Master Franchise after multiple failures by many previous owners. The initial intention was always to convert the then liquidated Dominos Pizza stores to Silvio’s Pizza, then use these to grow in to a market we had not yet capitalised - metro Sydney. However, after meeting a very successful Dominos Pizza multiple store owner and Franchisee,Michael Yaw from Arlington Texas, the plan changed. This individual had a profound impact on us and ultimately would see us convert our business also to the Dominos franchise.

We agreed to trial a conversion. After some very attractive financial incentives from DPI, the owner of the international brand, this resulted in the great decision that ultimately saw us convert our entire business to Dominos Pizza Australia.

During this period I was exposed to some amazing individuals, processes and systems. Together with those individuals and financial backing from DPI, our company, along with individual franchise store owners, resulted in the development of one of the most successful franchise business models in the world - and still is today.

There’s a half dozen far better non-chain Pizza places around me, being cheap is all they have.

1 Like

Yes exactly…although if you see the prices they charge in the UK for example, it’s amazing they’re still in business there!

1 Like

Disgusting ‘pizzas’, same with Pizza Hut.

1 Like

Don’t think Dominos realise just how much of their business is reliant on coupons, discount codes and $5 pizzas.
They’ve made a similar move before a couple years ago. It was about a month before the discounting came back.

5 Likes