Fast Food/Takeaways and Restaurants

The original Hungry Jack’s in Sydney, cnr George St and Liverpool St, was two levels, ground and basement. Haven’t been there for a while but I assume it’s still two levels. It opened early 1980s(?) and for a long time was the only HJs in Sydney.

It’s not there anymore, shut down last year.

I remember that Hungry Jack’s store in Sydney. I ate there on two occasions.

1 Like

That’s a pity. :frowning: I loved the Yumbo hot ham & cheese roll.

The Yumbo hasnt been around for like 30 years lol

Exactly! Bring it back!!

My Dad loved the Yumbo, he told me he used to eat it all the time! If Hungry Jack’s brought it back, I’d love to try it!

1 Like

There’s still a two level HJ’s on Oxford Street. The CBD Light Rail works mean that most restaurants on George Street no longer get regular evening customers parking their cars at night (there’s no longer any convenient parking spaces), and it was a pretty filthy joint, so that’s probably why they closed it down. Another late trading restaurant across the road put back their trading hours to 5pm afterwards as well.

I went to the Golden Gaytime pop-up store (called “crumb shed”) at Topshop store in Melbourne’s Emporium this afternoon. It is located on level 1 of Topshop, just inside the store entrance. There are five flavours available for $6 each. Once you choose the flavour the staff will retrieve a Golden Gaytime from the freezer, dip it into chocolate, quickly cover both sides with toppings before serving it on a small open carton with more topping. I chose the crumb choc millionaire flavour:

3 Likes

Looks nice!

Are customers then told to take it outside the store?

Having said that, it would be difficult to eat that and look at clothes in the store at the same time.

No, the staff did not say anything about that. There is space between the store and the clothing racks and some customers may choose to eat there.

1 Like

You can also get tins of Gaytime crumbs for $6

That seems entirely reasonable.

Whats the point of this?

4 Likes

Yeah that Chiko Roll takeaway place is the only place I ever really see them these days. I have always wondered if that’s the only store of its kind or if there are others. I must admit if I’ve been going past Southern Cross on a weekend prior to a night out I’ve grabbed one from time to time.

That sounds bizarre to have a Hungry Jacks directly next door with pretty much the same layout. That end of Elizabeth street and that McDonalds is just feral and surrounded by junkies. Hopefully with the tunnel project and some new stores they can clean it up a bit but I doubt it.

Corn Jacks > Chiko Rolls.

Sadly both have animal products, so not safe for vegos (Corn Jacks have animal fat).

Apparently Yowies are making a comeback and expected back in Australian stores by the end of the month.

2 Likes

…after they’ve been inexplicably available for years, but only in the US.