Fast Food/Takeaways and Restaurants

Yowie chocolates were awesome. I remember as kids every Friday night Dad would bring us home a Yowie each. We collected so many of those toy animals that they still have a little shelf at my parents place with them all displayed on them.

1 Like

For some unusual reason Yowie chocolates are currently sold in the US and a couple of other countries, but not here.

@alancramer Hi Alan! Our Yowie range was discontinued a while ago & Cadbury no longer owns the rights to the brand. Thanks!

— Cadbury Australia (@CadburyAU) June 6, 2016
1 Like

Good thing you asked them about it three months ago!

4 Likes

Had an inkling that someone here would be asking about them

3 Likes

[quote=“Chris, post:202, topic:336, full:true”]
Yowie chocolates were awesome. I remember as kids every Friday night Dad would bring us home a Yowie each. We collected so many of those toy animals that they still have a little shelf at my parents place with them all displayed on them.
[/quote]Yes, same!! I’ve still got mine somewhere at my parents house (same with the Kinder toys! :yum:).

Kinder Surprise were just as awesome. I collected hundreds and hundreds of the little toys inside the plastic shell. :slightly_smiling_face:

I also had an obsession with Nerds and Zooper Doopers (I’m pretty sure they used to be called something else when I had them at the school canteen in the late '90s though). :grin:

Zooper Dooper’s are the shit!

They we’re a dank meme around January and here’s a great song!

https://soundcloud.com/zooper-dooper-au/zooper-dooper-theme

[quote=“TheHubMan, post:208, topic:336, full:true”]
Zooper Dooper’s are the shit!

They we’re a dank meme around January and here’s a great song[/quote]I know that “song” all too well :grin:. That was constantly played at the BBL earlier in the year as they are a sponsor of the tournament.

As I said, not 100% sure they’ve always been Zooper Doopers or were previously under another name or not. Haven’t had one in over ten years now. :yum:

Yeah I do remember that them not being Zooper Dooper’s and them having a totally different package design. Maybe a re-brand or something between 2007-09 happened. Wikipedia doesn’t even have an article on them, so even though it isn’t the best source, it would be cool to know some info on whether this is right haha!

I’ve been kicking around for decades… And they have always been Zooper Doopers. My mum used to find me in the playground during school days and give me one. Unless they were called something else interstate.

There used to be a competitor product called “funny face” though.

1 Like

I always preferred Yowie’s to Kinder Surprise. Yowie’s were all at least themed animals you could collect whereas Kinder toys were quite random. Kinder was probably better tasting chocolate though. From memory Yowie’s were identical to those Cadbury easter eggs.

I’d never heard of Zooper Doopers until last year, our canteen had Funny Faces which were exactly the same. Maybe if you were in Tassie that’s what they had too.

I think a few companies have done their own equivalents to Zooper Doopers over the years. I think that Golden Circle or one of the other fruit juice companies had their own version at some point?

As for the comments about Funny Face ice blocks, White Wings did those. Here’s an ad for Funny Faces circa 1987 (clip credit: retrooldcommercials), which is on the quirky side if you ask me:

Anyway, I’m not really big on freeze-able ice blocks these days. Generally I stick with ice cream! :slight_smile:

They’ve always been Zooper Doopers. They’ve also got a new sours version - I picked some up last week.

Quelch and a few other brands have fruit juice versions too - that’s what used to be sold at my primary school.

3 Likes

Any good?

Yeah, I mean I used to buy them occasionally at primary school, but the bogan kids would absolutely love them for some reason.

Sour version is great! I too picked up a pack not long ago, while they were on special at woolies

1 Like

Speaking of chocolate. Have to wonder what the hell those at Cadbury were thinking with Vegemite chocolate. Seriously. Were there some magic mushrooms consumed by those marketing gurus with ponytails porches and earrings?

Wonder how they got rid of all that was produced cause when I went to the visitors centre of the Cadbury factory down in Hobart last year there was none to be seen.

Funny thing is I love Peanut Butter Ice Cream that Coles sell

It’s probably cheap to produce. That’s why they keep cutting back on their nut based blocks, like Macadamia, and Roast Almond which I barely see any more, to give us stuff like Pineapple, which is full of cheap sugary filling.

[quote=“Chris, post:212, topic:336, full:true”]
I always preferred Yowie’s to Kinder Surprise. Yowie’s were all at least themed animals you could collect whereas Kinder toys were quite random. Kinder was probably better tasting chocolate though. From memory Yowie’s were identical to those Cadbury easter eggs.
[/quote]The Yowie animals were better as a collector I must admit, but Kinders were far tastier to eat. :slightly_smiling_face:

[quote=“SydneyCityTV, post:214, topic:336, full:true”]Anyway, I’m not really big on freeze-able ice blocks these days. Generally I stick with ice cream! :slight_smile:[/quote]I’m the same these days. Haven’t had one of them in well over a decade I reckon. I much prefer the various ice creams these days (particularly the more peculiar out there combos).

[quote=“AlanCramer, post:211, topic:336, full:true”]
I’ve been kicking around for decades… And they have always been Zooper Doopers. My mum used to find me in the playground during school days and give me one. Unless they were called something else interstate.[/quote]

[quote=“Ryan, post:215, topic:336, full:true”]
They’ve always been Zooper Doopers. They’ve also got a new sours version - I picked some up last week. [/quote]Interesting. Maybe they were called something different in some states. They definitely weren’t called ‘Funny Faces’ as I’d remember them otherwise. If only I had a better memory. :yum: