Rural Aid Concerts

Hay Mate: Buy a Bale Concert

Saturday 27 October at 7:00pm

A BENEFIT CONCERT FOR THE FARMERS

From 7.00pm on Saturday, October 27, the Nine Network will continue its support of Aussie farmers by joining forces with the legendary Glenn Wheatley to broadcast the Buy a Bale: Hay Mate drought relief concert when it rolls into Tamworth with artists John Farnham, Daryl Braithwaite, Guy Sebastian, The Veronicas, Jon Stevens, Andrew Farriss (INXS), Adam Harvey, Tim Wheatley, Aleyce Simmonds and Nat Conway all on board.

John Farnham will lead this cast of Aussie entertainers with funds raised going to Rural Aid. “Farmers are the backbone of this Country” Farnham said. “I understand what they are going through. They are doing it tough through this drought. It’s a shame we did not do something sooner. But we are acting now!”

Nine’s support for Hay Mate follows the network’s hugely successful TODAY Show Farm Aid Telethon, where Aussies dug deep and helped to raise over $8.5 million for our farmers going through the worst drought in living memory.

Nine’s Head of Content, Production and Development, Adrian Swift, said: “Nine is hugely committed to helping Australia’s farmers who are suffering through the worst drought in 100 years. And the job isn’t over yet – working with Glenn Wheatley and Aussie music legends like John Farnham represents another massive opportunity to show support and raise more money. Hay Mate will be a major television event featuring some of Australia’s biggest musical acts with all profits going to Rural Aid.”

Hay Mate: Buy a Bale , will be held at Scully Park Wests Leagues Club in Tamworth and is made possible by the generosity of partners: Qantas, Toyota, Woolworths, News Corp, Optus and the Nine Network.

Rural Aid’s Buy a Bale program supports Aussie farmers and rural communities throughout Australia, by providing meaningful support for farmers, delivering hay and other essential items for those who have no feed left for their livestock.

The Buy a Bale program in association with Toyota and Woolworths has, so far, distributed over $3 million worth of fodder to farmers around Australia, but with the worsening drought and the need for a lot more has these companies are committed to distributing more through the funds raised at the HAY MATE concert.

Nine are throwing their weight behind the Hay Mate concert and will be running a national telethon live from Scully Park with the help of all the drought relief partners on Saturday, October 27 at 7.00pm on Nine.

NINE’S DROUGHT RELIEF APPEAL RAISES MORE THAN $9 MILLION FOR AUSSIE FARMERS

The legendary Aussie spirit of mateship and generosity has shone through, with viewers around the country so far raising an astounding $9,025,114 for Nine’s FIGHTING FOR OUR FARMERS Drought Relief Appeal .

Donations of all amounts are coming in from far and wide to help those affected by the country’s worst drought in 100 years. All donations are being administered by Rotary Australia and distributed to drought-affected farmers with the aid of the National Farmers’ Federation.

The latest allocation of the money raised has been announced by the National Farmers Federation (NFF), with these organisations handed funds to continue to undertake their amazing work:

CWA of NSW - $250,000 Financial assistance for household expenses up to $3000 per farm

Queensland CWA - $250,000 Financial assistance for household expenses up to $5000 per farm

Salvation Army/NSW Farmers Drought Relief - $250,000 Financial and pastoral support for farm households, including gift cards for use in local shops.

Drought Angels - $250,000 Wide ranging support for farmers in Qld, from fodder and water, to household expenses, mental health services and more.

Rotary Clubs of Longreach, Moranbah and Pioneer Valley - $250,000 Volunteer visits, mental health support, bill relief and education expenses.

Rotary District 9630 (Southern Qld) - $250,000 Financial assistance for food and other household necessities for farming families in drought affected areas of Southern Qld.

The Lions ‘Need for Feed’ initiative, which was allocated $500,000 from the Drought Relief Appeal last week, will see 70-90 trucks loaded with feed and other necessities for farmers throughout NSW hit the road this Friday.

National Farmers’ Federation President, Fiona Simson, says : “We are overwhelmed by the generosity of Australians. We are committed to seeing that every single dollar is translated into the help that our farmers need. We’re already seeing the charities, who have received funds from the appeal, delivering significant help with fodder, water, and household expenses. The only way this drought can be fixed is by rain, but in the meantime, the generosity of Australians will help ease the burden for our farmers.”

1 Like

NINE’S DROUGHT RELIEF APPEAL RAISES $10 MILLION FOR AUSSIE FARMERS

The generosity of Australians has shone through, with viewers and businesses around the country so far raising an astonishing $10,031,467 for Nine’s FIGHTING FOR OUR FARMERS Drought Relief Appeal .

Donations of all amounts are coming in from far and wide to help those affected by the country’s worst drought in 100 years. All donations are being administered by Rotary Australia – whose army of volunteers have symbolised the outpouring of community support – and distributed to drought-affected farmers with the aid of the National Farmers’ Federation.

Hugh Marks, CEO of Nine, said: “All the individuals and companies who have supported the Today Show’s Drought Relief Appeal have helped us raise more than a staggering $10 million. A massive thank you to the many Australians who have chosen to help our farmers through this effort. I’m sure the farmers have been encouraged by this response and, although what they really need more than anything right now is rain, these funds will help them until it arrives.”

With key partners Westpac and Optus throwing their resources behind the cause, the Drought Relief Appeal has seen everyday Australians and big business come together to show their support for our farmers, with all donations being distributed to key charities on the frontline of the crisis.

One such charity has been the Country Women’s Association, which has received $1 million to offer grants to help with household bills.

CWA NSW President, Annette Turner, said: “So far we have been able to get $1 million out to 634 families and we still have a long way to go thanks to the donations that are coming in. I’d like to say thank you to everyone that has donated…they have touched the hearts of farmers for a long time to come.”

But with summer just around the corner and no major rainfall in sight, all Australians are being encouraged to get behind our farmers for the foreseeable future and let them know we have their backs.

National Farmers’ Federation President, Fiona Simson, said : “Generous Australians can be assured that their donations are already helping our farmers. So far, $2.5 million has gone to directly helping farmers with hay for their animals and assistance with everyday household expenses. With the warmer months upon us and still no drought-breaking rains, we’re treating the distribution of relief funds as a marathon not a sprint.”

The appeal has been boosted by $200,000 worth of donations from McDonalds customers across the country. For a breakdown of where donations are being distributed, click here: https://www.9now.com.au/today/2018/extras/latest/august/drought-relief-fund

A Benefit Concert For The Farmers
https://www.9nbn.com.au/content/2018-hay-mate

1 Like

HAY MATE: BUY A BALE hosts CONFIRMED

Saturday 27 October at 7.00pm

Entertainment guru Richard Wilkins and TODAY Extra hosts Sonia Kruger and David Campbell will add sparkle to the stage when John Farnham headlines the fundraiser on Nine and 9Now.

The Nine Network is bringing its star hosts to Tamworth for the Hay Mate: Buy a Bale benefit concert and telethon for Australia’s drought-stricken farmers on Saturday, October 27, at 7.00pm.

The Hay Mate : Buy a Bale national telethon will broadcast live from Tamworth’s Scully Park, with other big-name Aussie artists Daryl Braithwaite, Guy Sebastian, The Veronicas, Jon Stevens and Andrew Farriss from INXS confirmed to rock the stage.

All funds raised from this concert for the farmers will go to Rural Aid, who provide frontline counselling services for farmers to deal with the financial, emotional and physical stress of drought.

Nine’s entertainment editor, Richard Wilkins, is a big fan of pulling on his Akubra, and as soon as he heard Nine would broadcast the concert he was the first to put his hand up and get involved.

“With so many families facing so much adversity, to have the opportunity to help is the least we can do. We have an amazing lineup of talent and I can’t wait to support this great cause,” Wilkins said.

Born in Queensland’s Darling Downs region, TODAY Extra co-host Sonia Kruger is a country girl at heart who has seen firsthand what the crippling drought is doing to regional Australia.

“This is a devastating time for our farmers so it’s a privilege to be involved with the Hay Mate: Buy a Bale benefit. Our aim is to raise a huge amount of money and provide some much-needed relief to the farmers and families suffering out there,” Kruger said.

With rock music running through his veins, TODAY Extra co-host David Campbell knows all too well what triumphs the entertainment industry can deliver when it bands together.

“Our industry is an amazing beast when it unites for a good cause, and what better cause is there than the backbone of our great nation. I’m honoured to be involved in the Hay Mate concert and can’t wait to get out there and help our Aussie farmers,” Campbell said.

Also, Natalie Conway will perform her brand new single So Loud during the Hay Mate concert.

I’m a little underwhelmed with tonight’s telecast, by the way I hate being even the least bit critical about such a great cause, so I’ll try and be careful.

But apart from some great acts/songs, the set-up is just too one dimensional for me. It just doesn’t seem like a TV-made event, which it’s not I guess. I’m sure if I were there in Tamworth I’d love it a lot more. I don’t think most will watch the entire 3.5 hour telecast, though I’m sure some will. And it’s also bound to rate well, I mean if a football award count can to 600k in one city for 3 hours!

But well done for Nine’s effort, not a whole lot else good on tonight, well there is actually, but this would be probably the pick or equal pick.

What do others think? I am keeping in mind a lot of the artists will relate more with older audiences too.

3 Likes

Shown at the end of the night - for the final number you need to watch Sunday Today.

3 Likes

Full video of John Farnham - You’re The Voice.

1 Like

It’s interesting that last night’s concert was not promoted during the week in the local paper The Northern Daily Leader which is based in Tamworth. I think the main reason is that NDL is owned by Fairfax while News Corp is a co-organiser of the concert. Media rivalry rears its head again.

At least one article in the past week, and a couple the week before, but not much else.

NINE’S HAY MATE TELETHON RAISES MORE THAN $2 MILLION FOR AUSSIE FARMERS

Nine’s Hay Mate: Buy a Bale concert, a star-studded event to support Australia’s drought-stricken farmers, has raised over $2 million.

Sonia Kruger, David Campbell and Richard Wilkins tonight announced the final tally for the fundraiser – with the proceeds going to Rural Aid – to a rapturous crowd at Scully Park in Tamworth, the venue for the concert broadcast.

The legendary John Farnham brought the house down with his hit You’re the Voice as well as an encore performance of Long Way to the Top with Daryl Braithwaite, Andrew Farris, Guy Sebastian, Jon Stevens and The Veronicas.

Nine’s Head of Content, Production and Development, Adrian Swift, said: “In an overwhelming show of support, Australians have dug deep for our struggling farmers and shown them what their hard work and resilience means to the nation. No doubt these funds will provide some much-needed relief to those suffering hard times. I’d also like to say a big thank you to Glenn Wheatley and John Farnham for their passion and leadership in pulling this great line up together and for showing rural Australia just how much we care.”

Nine’s Entertainment Editor, Richard Wilkins said: “It’s been an incredible night. The performances were fantastic and I am utterly amazed at Australia’s generosity. I hope our farmers doing it tough feel the support and can breathe a little easier tonight knowing Australia is backing them.”

The entertainment industry united behind this great cause on Saturday night in a concert that opened with Andrew Farris and Jon Stevens performing the INXS classics What You Need and Never Tear Us Apart . Daryl Braithwaite had the crowd singing in unison to his cult classic The Horses , and Guy Sebastian performed four of his hits including Like It Like That , Before I Go , Bloodstone and Battle Scars . Queensland’s singing sensations, The Veronicas, took to the stage and performed Untouched and Hook Me Up .

“I speak on behalf of our farmers and say a huge thank you. And to the generous team at Nine, thank you for broadcasting into homes across Australia. It has been an amazing ride and I look forward to seeing the smiling faces of those families and farmers who have benefited from tonight’s efforts. It’s all been worth it,” said the event curator, Glenn Wheatley.

“This event would not have been possible without the generous support of the sponsors, Qantas, Woolworths, Toyota, News Corp Australia and Optus, to do something special to improve the plight of our farmers.”

Viewers also saw performances by Adam Harvey and Nat Conway, and had the chance to speak to their favourite stars when calling through to the celebrity phone bank to make their donations

Although the appeal was successful from a fundraising perspective, I think Nine would be extremely disappointed with last night’s metropolitan ratings for the concert - beaten by the umpteenth repeat of Harry Potter & The Order of the Phoenix on Seven in all five metro markets! :open_mouth:

With the benefit of hindsight, it probably wasn’t the smartest idea (particularly from a TV perspective) for the concert to be held/scheduled against the Closing Ceremony of the Invicus Games. Probably should’ve waited until November 17 or 24!

3 Likes

Hay Mate Concert proceeds deliver help to farmers in Tamworth

Rural Aid’s Buy a Bale program begins delivering hay from the proceeds from the Hay Mate Concert for the Farmers in Tamworth on Tuesday, December 11.

The Hay Mate concert was a massive undertaking and featured John Farnham, Guy Sebastian, Daryl Braithwaite, The Veronicas, Andrew Farriss, Jon Stevens, Tim Wheatley, Adam Harvey, Aleyce Simmonds and Nat Conway, all of whom donated their services to raise funds for the farmers during this time of drought.

The Hay Mate concert was supported by the Nine Network who broadcast the event live across Australia raising over $2.8 million dollars.

Today crossed live to Tamworth this morning (Tuesday) for the massive hay giveaway to show Australians how their donations are being used to deliver one of the biggest hay drops of 2018.

The Hay Mate Concert organiser and promoter Glenn Wheatley will present CEO of Rural Aid Charles Alder the cheque from the concert fundraising effort in Tamworth as 255 farmers come to town to collect over 2000 bales of hay to keep their animals alive as the summer bears down. According to Glenn, “This hay drop, and others across NSW, will see the proceeds from Hay Mate delivering support when our farmers need it the most. This is a massive effort on the back of amazing donations from the Australian public.”

The Tamworth region drop will bring $800,000 in hay to the region. Hay Mate will also be providing gift cards and dog food to the families. Total value of this drop will be in excess of $1,000,000.

Further drops of hay are planned for the Milparinka/Tibooburra/Camerons Corner region (far North West NSW). More than $300,000 of hay and transport has started being delivered.

Deliveries have also started in the Peak Hill/Tomingley/Tullamore region (South West of Dubbo). More than $250,000 of hay and transport. started on the weekend and will continue for the next week.

Other regions to receive hay include Brewarrina, Coonamble and Narrabri.

As the long-term weather predictions talk of a very hot summer, the funds raised from Hay Mate is making sure as much assistance is delivered before Christmas with up to 1500 tonnes of hay being distributed each week across NSW, Qld and SA.

“We’re thrilled to see the first roll out of proceeds from Hay Mate being put into action, especially coming in time for Christmas, said Adrian Swift Nine’s Head of Content, Production & Development.

“Everyone who donated on the night of the Hay Mate concert should be proud of the contribution they’ve made to help ease the burden on our farmers.”

These hay drops, hamper giveaways and fuel cards will help make the Christmas period more bearable for our Aussie farmers. Many have struggled to afford the basics and this generosity will help many families and their towns get through.

“We’ve been able to buy large amounts of hay from South Australia and deliver to hundreds of farmers.”
Charles Alder said.

“Drought is decimating communities across Australia, but with programs like Buy a Bale, and more fundraisers like the Hay Mate Tamworth concert, we can all help these communities to make it out the other side,”

Glenn Wheatley added,’ Thank you to all who supported Hay Mate. Qantas, Toyota, Woolworth, Nine, News Corp and all the generous people from across Australia who donated, we are going to make a difference for the farmers.

The second annual Hay Mate concert will be held at Mornington Racecourse on Victoria’s Mornington Peninsula on Sunday, December 15, this year. Like last year’s concert, Hay Mate Bush Christmas Appeal — A Concert for the Farmers will be shown on Nine. Tickets go on sale via Ticketmaster this Friday, November 1.

Hay Mate - A Bush Christmas Appeal for our Aussie Farmers

SUNDAY 15 DECEMBER AT 8PM

Join us from Mornington Racecourse for a special benefit concert for drought-stricken farmers to raise funds for Rural Aid. Some big names taking the stage include John Farnham, Daryl Braithwaite, Jon Stevens, Vanessa Amorosi and more!

Rock Legends Unite for a Great Cause

Sunday 15 December at 8.00pm

Australia’s premier rock talent will spread Christmas cheer by singing for a great cause at Hay Mate: A Bush Christmas Appeal for Our Aussie Farmers on Sunday, December 15, at 8.00pm on Nine and 9Now.

Aussie superstar John Farnham will again lead an all-star lineup to help raise money for Rural Aid, which provides economic and other assistance to drought-hit rural communities including hay, water, and a counselling service.

Farnham will be joined by Jon Stevens, Daryl Braithwaite, Vanessa Amorosi, The Black Sorrows with Vika and Linda, John Williamson, All Our Exes Live in Texas, Tim Wheatley and Little Georgia.

This year’s Hay Mate concert, featuring headliners brought together by Farnham’s manager, Glenn Wheatley, will be held at Mornington Racecourse in Victoria.

John Farnham said: “Our farmers are the backbone of this country. Right now, they are doing it tough as we go through the longest drought in many years.

“We are doing Hay Mate for them. We hope to raise a lot of money to buy hay and water to help keep their stock alive through this incredibly tough time.”

Richard Wilkins and Rebecca Maddern will host the concert and Nine will again run a national telethon for the appeal. Brooke Boney and Tom Steinfort will join a star-studded lineup of talent lending a hand and taking viewers’ calls.