Rural Aid Concerts

Shown at the end of the night - for the final number you need to watch Sunday Today.

3 Likes

Full video of John Farnham - You’re The Voice.

1 Like

It’s interesting that last night’s concert was not promoted during the week in the local paper The Northern Daily Leader which is based in Tamworth. I think the main reason is that NDL is owned by Fairfax while News Corp is a co-organiser of the concert. Media rivalry rears its head again.

At least one article in the past week, and a couple the week before, but not much else.

NINE’S HAY MATE TELETHON RAISES MORE THAN $2 MILLION FOR AUSSIE FARMERS

Nine’s Hay Mate: Buy a Bale concert, a star-studded event to support Australia’s drought-stricken farmers, has raised over $2 million.

Sonia Kruger, David Campbell and Richard Wilkins tonight announced the final tally for the fundraiser – with the proceeds going to Rural Aid – to a rapturous crowd at Scully Park in Tamworth, the venue for the concert broadcast.

The legendary John Farnham brought the house down with his hit You’re the Voice as well as an encore performance of Long Way to the Top with Daryl Braithwaite, Andrew Farris, Guy Sebastian, Jon Stevens and The Veronicas.

Nine’s Head of Content, Production and Development, Adrian Swift, said: “In an overwhelming show of support, Australians have dug deep for our struggling farmers and shown them what their hard work and resilience means to the nation. No doubt these funds will provide some much-needed relief to those suffering hard times. I’d also like to say a big thank you to Glenn Wheatley and John Farnham for their passion and leadership in pulling this great line up together and for showing rural Australia just how much we care.”

Nine’s Entertainment Editor, Richard Wilkins said: “It’s been an incredible night. The performances were fantastic and I am utterly amazed at Australia’s generosity. I hope our farmers doing it tough feel the support and can breathe a little easier tonight knowing Australia is backing them.”

The entertainment industry united behind this great cause on Saturday night in a concert that opened with Andrew Farris and Jon Stevens performing the INXS classics What You Need and Never Tear Us Apart . Daryl Braithwaite had the crowd singing in unison to his cult classic The Horses , and Guy Sebastian performed four of his hits including Like It Like That , Before I Go , Bloodstone and Battle Scars . Queensland’s singing sensations, The Veronicas, took to the stage and performed Untouched and Hook Me Up .

“I speak on behalf of our farmers and say a huge thank you. And to the generous team at Nine, thank you for broadcasting into homes across Australia. It has been an amazing ride and I look forward to seeing the smiling faces of those families and farmers who have benefited from tonight’s efforts. It’s all been worth it,” said the event curator, Glenn Wheatley.

“This event would not have been possible without the generous support of the sponsors, Qantas, Woolworths, Toyota, News Corp Australia and Optus, to do something special to improve the plight of our farmers.”

Viewers also saw performances by Adam Harvey and Nat Conway, and had the chance to speak to their favourite stars when calling through to the celebrity phone bank to make their donations

Although the appeal was successful from a fundraising perspective, I think Nine would be extremely disappointed with last night’s metropolitan ratings for the concert - beaten by the umpteenth repeat of Harry Potter & The Order of the Phoenix on Seven in all five metro markets! :open_mouth:

With the benefit of hindsight, it probably wasn’t the smartest idea (particularly from a TV perspective) for the concert to be held/scheduled against the Closing Ceremony of the Invicus Games. Probably should’ve waited until November 17 or 24!

3 Likes

Hay Mate Concert proceeds deliver help to farmers in Tamworth

Rural Aid’s Buy a Bale program begins delivering hay from the proceeds from the Hay Mate Concert for the Farmers in Tamworth on Tuesday, December 11.

The Hay Mate concert was a massive undertaking and featured John Farnham, Guy Sebastian, Daryl Braithwaite, The Veronicas, Andrew Farriss, Jon Stevens, Tim Wheatley, Adam Harvey, Aleyce Simmonds and Nat Conway, all of whom donated their services to raise funds for the farmers during this time of drought.

The Hay Mate concert was supported by the Nine Network who broadcast the event live across Australia raising over $2.8 million dollars.

Today crossed live to Tamworth this morning (Tuesday) for the massive hay giveaway to show Australians how their donations are being used to deliver one of the biggest hay drops of 2018.

The Hay Mate Concert organiser and promoter Glenn Wheatley will present CEO of Rural Aid Charles Alder the cheque from the concert fundraising effort in Tamworth as 255 farmers come to town to collect over 2000 bales of hay to keep their animals alive as the summer bears down. According to Glenn, “This hay drop, and others across NSW, will see the proceeds from Hay Mate delivering support when our farmers need it the most. This is a massive effort on the back of amazing donations from the Australian public.”

The Tamworth region drop will bring $800,000 in hay to the region. Hay Mate will also be providing gift cards and dog food to the families. Total value of this drop will be in excess of $1,000,000.

Further drops of hay are planned for the Milparinka/Tibooburra/Camerons Corner region (far North West NSW). More than $300,000 of hay and transport has started being delivered.

Deliveries have also started in the Peak Hill/Tomingley/Tullamore region (South West of Dubbo). More than $250,000 of hay and transport. started on the weekend and will continue for the next week.

Other regions to receive hay include Brewarrina, Coonamble and Narrabri.

As the long-term weather predictions talk of a very hot summer, the funds raised from Hay Mate is making sure as much assistance is delivered before Christmas with up to 1500 tonnes of hay being distributed each week across NSW, Qld and SA.

“We’re thrilled to see the first roll out of proceeds from Hay Mate being put into action, especially coming in time for Christmas, said Adrian Swift Nine’s Head of Content, Production & Development.

“Everyone who donated on the night of the Hay Mate concert should be proud of the contribution they’ve made to help ease the burden on our farmers.”

These hay drops, hamper giveaways and fuel cards will help make the Christmas period more bearable for our Aussie farmers. Many have struggled to afford the basics and this generosity will help many families and their towns get through.

“We’ve been able to buy large amounts of hay from South Australia and deliver to hundreds of farmers.”
Charles Alder said.

“Drought is decimating communities across Australia, but with programs like Buy a Bale, and more fundraisers like the Hay Mate Tamworth concert, we can all help these communities to make it out the other side,”

Glenn Wheatley added,’ Thank you to all who supported Hay Mate. Qantas, Toyota, Woolworth, Nine, News Corp and all the generous people from across Australia who donated, we are going to make a difference for the farmers.

The second annual Hay Mate concert will be held at Mornington Racecourse on Victoria’s Mornington Peninsula on Sunday, December 15, this year. Like last year’s concert, Hay Mate Bush Christmas Appeal — A Concert for the Farmers will be shown on Nine. Tickets go on sale via Ticketmaster this Friday, November 1.

Hay Mate - A Bush Christmas Appeal for our Aussie Farmers

SUNDAY 15 DECEMBER AT 8PM

Join us from Mornington Racecourse for a special benefit concert for drought-stricken farmers to raise funds for Rural Aid. Some big names taking the stage include John Farnham, Daryl Braithwaite, Jon Stevens, Vanessa Amorosi and more!

Rock Legends Unite for a Great Cause

Sunday 15 December at 8.00pm

Australia’s premier rock talent will spread Christmas cheer by singing for a great cause at Hay Mate: A Bush Christmas Appeal for Our Aussie Farmers on Sunday, December 15, at 8.00pm on Nine and 9Now.

Aussie superstar John Farnham will again lead an all-star lineup to help raise money for Rural Aid, which provides economic and other assistance to drought-hit rural communities including hay, water, and a counselling service.

Farnham will be joined by Jon Stevens, Daryl Braithwaite, Vanessa Amorosi, The Black Sorrows with Vika and Linda, John Williamson, All Our Exes Live in Texas, Tim Wheatley and Little Georgia.

This year’s Hay Mate concert, featuring headliners brought together by Farnham’s manager, Glenn Wheatley, will be held at Mornington Racecourse in Victoria.

John Farnham said: “Our farmers are the backbone of this country. Right now, they are doing it tough as we go through the longest drought in many years.

“We are doing Hay Mate for them. We hope to raise a lot of money to buy hay and water to help keep their stock alive through this incredibly tough time.”

Richard Wilkins and Rebecca Maddern will host the concert and Nine will again run a national telethon for the appeal. Brooke Boney and Tom Steinfort will join a star-studded lineup of talent lending a hand and taking viewers’ calls.

Can anyone tell me that is live telephon part is comeing out from Sydney studio.?
Look like the Today Show Studio for me
I just Noitice that Concert is not live at all

2 Likes

Yep, the studio segments are being hosted from a modified Today studio in Sydney, hosting from a new desk where the Today desk normally is, and the call centre is in the soft set.

6 Likes

It’s a small world isn’t it? 1min up the street from me. I had fun this afternoon :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Surely these weren’t the originally planned hosts?

I saw this last year. It felt very clunky because it was so clearly visible that it was pre-recorded.

thank you for that TheEditor

1 Like

Way too many packages. And not enough of the concert.

Edit. And way too many ads.

2 Likes

Hate to be political. But shame those farmers voted for a government that doesn’t support them financially, has no long term solutions for water/dams and doesn’t believe in climate change.

5 Likes

Totally agree with you. I won’t say much else because this could get heated :upside_down_face:

2 Likes