Eurovision Song Contest

##sbs’s new Eurovision hosts are Myf Warhurst an Joel Creasey

Radio host, presenter and music buff Myf Warhurst, together with comedian and sequin buff Joel Creasey are the new duo who will host SBS’s broadcast, and provide commentary of the Semi Finals and Grand Final of the Eurovision Song Contest, May 12 – 14 on SBS.

SBS Managing Director Michael Ebeid said: “Australians have embraced Eurovision since SBS’s first broadcast more than 30 years ago and as a nation, we feel incredible warmth and admiration for the countries, their cultures, the contest, and what it represents. Already loved by Australian audiences, Joel Creasey and Myf Warhurst perfectly capture this spirit, and we’re thrilled to welcome them as SBS’s new Eurovision hosts.”

Long-time lounge room fans, first-time attendees, Myf and Joel will have their very first Eastern European taste of the world’s biggest song contest when they land on the ground in Kyiv, Ukraine.

Besides getting into the patriotic flag-waving spirit and guiding Australia through our Isaiah’s journey from Semi Final 1 to fingers-crossed-hold-your-breath glory at the Grand Final, our new duo will be immersing themselves in all the wonderful, and the more wacky parts of the contest. Myf and Joel will dive behind the scenes as 43 acts from around the world prepare to take the stage, hoping to win over the voting public and jury for those douze points.

Myf Warhurst said: “I truly fell in love with Eurovision back in 1998 when Guildo Horn performed a sweaty bell solo mid song for Germany, and from there, it was love at first sight. I’ve hosted Eurovision parties ever since. It was an honour to be a member of the Aussie voting jury last year, but now, getting into the arena and actually hosting the glittery Olympics of music…. It’s an absolute dream gig for me. I’m still pinching myself!”

Joel Creasey said: “I couldn’t be more ready to accept the job of Eurovision host, and give Aussies an all-access pass that I think we truly deserve as gatecrashers. I’ve started studying up on this years’ acts and am going to need to map out my plan of dressing rooms to sneak into backstage – I’ve got my eye on the Swedish backup dancers and Romanian rap yodelers at this point.”

The Eurovision Song Contest, 7.30pm, 12 - 14 May on SBS, with LIVE early morning broadcasts from 10 May.

2 Likes

If we can’t have Julia and Sam then I think Myf and Joel would be good replacements.

If only we had a better entry. There has absolutely no buzz since it was announced whereas the last few years people were talking about Dami and Guy all the way through to the competition.

1 Like

I’m not a fan of Myf at all but great to see Joel get the gig. He is a great choice.

1 Like

Chairman of the Eurovision Song Contest Reference Group, Frank Dieter Freiling, said the group strongly condemned Ukraine’s ban on the singer.

"We believe it thoroughly undermines the integrity and non-political nature of the Eurovision Song Contest and its mission to bring all nations together in friendly competition.

###Eurovision 2017

Get behind Isaiah, May 12 – 14 on SBS

The Eurovision Song Contest is about to begin in Kyiv, Ukraine, as Isaiah takes the stage representing Australia for our shot at Eurovision glory.

After Dami Im’s runner-up finish last year planting Australia firmly on the not-so-geographically accurate Eurovision map, this year’s Eurovision is set to be the most exciting yet for Australian audiences full of anticipation on what we will bring to the world’s biggest song contest.

Brand new hosting duo Myf Warhurst and Joel Creasey are at the helm of SBS’s Eurovision coverage, on the ground from the International Exhibition Centre in Kyiv, Ukraine, to bring Australians every angle of the contest as they explore the razzmatazz, kitsch, political voting, showbiz, cultural displays and heart of Eurovision – the artists and songs.

With both early morning LIVE broadcasts for immediate results and voting along with Europe, and a primetime Eurovision weekend made for fabulous Euro-themed parties around the country, there are plenty of opportunities to get behind Isaiah and join in the fun of picking favourites from the other 41 competing nations, each bringing a taste of their own musical culture to the contest. Some of this year’s standout acts include bookies pick Italy featuring a dancing gorilla, an attractive Swede with slick choreography, a second Aussie to cheer on with Anja Nissen performing for Denmark, and the return of yodelling courtesy of Romania.

As well as full coverage of the song contest across television, radio and online, SBS introduces a brand new show, Eurovision Top 40 Songs, which kicks off Eurovision week on Wednesday 10th May. This will be hosts Myf and Joel’s introduction to the Eurovision world, complete with backup dancers, exclusive in-studio performances and a huge countdown to Australia’s favourite Eurovision track of all time!

###ON TV

Eurovision Top 40 Songs
Wednesday 10 May at 8.30pm on SBS

It’s the world’s ultimate, crazy song competition and Australia has been watching for over 30 years. There are so many highlights in the contest’s history, now it’s time to decide our top 40 favourite songs. Myf Warhurst and Joel Creasey present the Top 40 songs from Eurovision’s 60 year history as voted by Australia’s Eurovision fans via the SBS Eurovision website. What will #1 be?

The countdown features interviews from six past Eurovision winners including Mans Zelmerlow (2015) and Loreen (2012) from Sweden, Conchita Wurst (2014), Katrina and The Waves (1997), Bucks Fizz (1981), and Brotherhood of Man (1976).

Funny and pithy moments in Eurovision Top 40 Songs come from Irish comedian Jason Byrne, UK comic Stuart Goldsmith, Australian funnyman Dave O’Neil, songwriter Casey Bennetto, music theatre star Lucy Durack, Please Like Me writer Becky Lucas, Here Come The Habibs star Tahir, comic Tessa Waters, Eurovision Professor Alison Lewis, and Australia’s own esteemed Eurovision former judge Richard Wilkins. With performances by Dami Im, Paul Capsis and Bjorn Again.

The Eurovision Song Contest

Primetime evening broadcasts
Semi Final 1 – Friday 12 May, 7.30pm SBS ** FEATURING ISAIAH
Semi Final 2 – Saturday 13 May, 7.30pm, SBS
Grand Final – Sunday 14 May, 7.30pm, SBS

LIVE early morning broadcasts
Semi Final 1 – Wednesday 10 May, 5am (AEST) SBS ** FEATURING ISAIAH
Semi Final 2 – Friday 12 May, 5am, (AEST) SBS
Grand Final – Sunday 14 May, 5am, (AEST) SBS

Myf Warhurst and Joel Creasey will be in the commentary booth to guide viewers through all the acts in the Eurovision Semi Finals and Grand Final, and will also report backstage with exclusive interviews and gossip with contestants and a behind the scenes look at the contest.

For the first time, this year chef and Eurovision mega-fan Adam Liaw serves up Adam’s Euro Bites; Euro-themed recipes and snacks perfect to impress guests at lounge room Eurovision parties around Australia. In the ad breaks, Adam will be cooking up tasty traditional treats from around the globe, including such culinary delights as ‘Bitterballen’ from Netherlands, Sausages with beer mustard from Germany, ‘Smorgastarta’ from Sweden and even Kyiv Nuggets from Ukraine.

Australians will have to be ready as Isaiah performs in Semi Final 1 this year and must be voted through to then compete in the Grand Final.

Australians will be able to vote again this year during the early morning broadcasts and then join in the conversation using the hashtag #sbseurovision during the interactive evening primetime broadcasts, with tweets and party pictures on screen.

As per the official Eurovision rules, viewers can vote in the Semi Final in which their country is participating, as well as the Grand Final. The viewers’ votes make up 50% of the final result. The other 50% of the vote is decided by a National Jury in each participating country. Australia’s jury will be announced soon. The jury and Australian public can vote for any country except Australia.

For Australian viewers, this means they will need to tune into the LIVE broadcasts of Semi Final 1 Wednesday 10 May, 5am (AEST) and the Grand Final Sunday 14 May, 5am (AEST) and text or call the numbers that appear on screen during these live broadcasts.

###ONLINE sbs.com.au/Eurovision

The SBS Eurovision website is the hub for all the latest news from Kyiv, and articles delving into Eurovision culture, politics and the artists.

Check in with Myf Warhurst and Joel Creasey, catch up on all of Isaiah’s preparations for the big event, as well as all the latest gossip, exclusive videos, pictures and behind-the-scenes video interviews with artists.

Across all three nights of Eurovision weekend, May 12 - 14, the Eurovision website is the number one destination for the complete interactive experience for Aussies. Viewers can rate their favourite performance, join the social chatter and post party pics on Twitter and Instagram using #sbseurovision and the best ones will end up on screen during SBS’s broadcast!

###ON RADIO

SBS Radio kicks off Eurovision celebrations early with SBS Eurovision Radio, a non-stop soundtrack to the world’s biggest song contest, broadcasting 24 hours a day from Monday 1 to Sunday 14 May.

SBS Eurovision Radio listeners can tune in to the simulcast of the SBS coverage of the Semi-Finals on Friday 12 May, Saturday 13 May and the Grand finals on Sunday 14 May at 7.30pm AEST including all the behind the scenes action from Kyiv.

Listeners can tune in for LIVE Semi Final and Grand Final simulcasts Wednesday 10 May, Friday 12 May and Sunday 14 May at 5am.

Listeners can catch SBS Eurovision Radio on SBS Radio 4 on digital radio or stream online or via the SBS Radio App.

1 Like

I always watch Eurovision and look forward to it each year, but just not feeling it this year. I hate the choice of Isaiah - he’s a nice guy, but it’s a joke that he’s representing this country after being dragged through an incredibly lame season of X-Factor last year. I hate that Sam and Julia have been replaced by Joel and Myf. Even the promos of Joel walking around with his arse out - so pathetic. I hate that Russia has been barred, after Ukraine was allowed that political song last year which shouldn’t have won.

3 Likes

###Eurovision announcements:

###Jury

SBS announces Australia’s 2017 Eurovision Jury members

Viewers in countries of participating broadcasters, including Australia, are invited to vote for their favourite songs in the Eurovision Semi-finals and Grand Final by televoting, which makes up 50% of the total vote.

The other 50% of the vote is decided by a National Jury in each participating country. Each jury comprises of a team of respected local music/entertainment figures with extensive experience in the industry and, of course, a passion for the world’s biggest song contest.*

Meet Australia’s 2017 Eurovision Jury,:

Lucy Durack
Lucy is one of Australia’s leading ladies of the stage, with a list of major roles to her credit. She has won awards for her roles of Glinda in Wicked and Elle Woods in Legally Blonde the Musical. She performs regularly in concert and has a popular radio show ‘My Soundtrack’ on the ABC.

Jordan Raskopoulos
Jordan is a comedian, musician and digital content creator. She is best known as the lead singer of The Axis of Awesome, a world-renowned musical comedy group and YouTube Juggernaut. Jordan also hosts ‘This is About’, a narrative non-fiction podcast on ABC.

Steven Capaldo
Steven is a conductor and music educator working with symphony orchestras, wind orchestras, chamber ensembles and in community music and education. He is an active composer and arranger. His works have been performed and recorded in Australia, Canada and the U.S.A.

Jackie Loeb
Jackie maintains her reputation as a stand-up comedian, while distinguishing herself as an actor, musician and writer. She has performed cabaret shows at New York City’s ‘Don’t Tell Mama’ and had a sell-out season at the Adelaide Cabaret Festival. She has released two albums, and brings her latest stand-up show Forty-five to the Sydney Comedy Festival this week.

Peter Hayward
Peter has been working professionally in the entertainment industry for over 15 years. He has performed as a Music Director across Sydney and as a backing vocalist and percussionist for numerous live events. Peter is Creative Director of Southern Stars - The Arena Spectacular and Associate Director of the Schools Spectacular.

###PUBLIC VOTING

In each Semi-Final, 10 contestants are chosen to qualify for the Grand Final. As per the official Eurovision rules, viewers in all countries taking part in a particular Semi-Final are invited to vote via the official app, telephone and/or SMS. Australian viewers are eligible to vote in Semi Final 1 (in which Australia’s Isaiah will perform) as well as The Grand Final. The voting window for Semi Final 1 and the Grand Final opens after the last song has been performed, and ends 15 minutes later.

For Australian viewers, this means they will need to tune into the LIVE broadcasts of Semi Final 1 Wednesday 10 May, 5am (AEST) and the Grand Final Sunday 14 May, 5am (AEST) and text or call the numbers that appear on screen during these live broadcasts.

Jury members and public voters can’t vote for their own country.

##australia’S EUROVISION SPOKESPERSON

SBS World News presenter and TV icon Lee Lin Chin will once again resume her essential role as Australia’s Eurovision Spokesperson. The inimitable newsreader will once again present Australia’s allocation of points with her spot on pronunciation and one off legendary fab outfits.

1 Like

Eurovision Top 40 Songs, a special on SBS before the contest starts, Wednesday 10 May at 8.30pm.

1 Like

Also see above

1 Like

Speaking of Bucks Fizz I heard “The Land of Make Believe” on Old Skool last week.

1 Like

Eurovision rivals Isaiah Firebrace and Anja Nissen not playing politics but flying flag for love
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/entertainment/television/eurovision-rivals-isaiah-firebrace-and-anja-nissen-not-playing-politics-but-flying-flag-for-love/news-story/91ce3bda49fb7ffa7b8c6f0b7ae11e00

I heard Makin’ Your Mind Up this morning on SBS Eurovision Radio. Catchy song. Land of Make Believe was good too.

They also play Guy Sebastian and Dami’s song a lot. Both great songs the sound fantastic on the radio.

I just don’t feel the same about the song this year :frowning:

1 Like

Unfortunately this seems like a case of who and who??

Isaiah is the Aussie entry, Anja is Denmark’s. The latter was also born here and won The Voice Australia in 2014.

2 Likes

Isaiah has struggled in his performance in the first semi final. When I first heard he was chosen, i thought it was a mistake to send somebody so inexperienced and I was right.
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/entertainment/television/eurovision-2017-isaiah-firebraces-vocal-hiccup-in-first-semifinal-could-prove-costly/news-story/e563c15dd511eda8107d123fcb4bff06

1 Like

Naturally, he makes it into the Grand Final.

1 Like

:joy: Eurovision is a strange beast.

1 Like

Apparently he nailed in the jury rehearsal on Monday night, which accounts for 50% of the vote. Thats likely why he made it through. I am also suprised Greece,Cyprus and Portugal made it over Latvia, Finland and Iceland.

1 Like

Did anyone catch the top 40 Eurovsion countdown last night?

It was done in the style of 20 to One with “personalities” (most comparative unknowns) commenting on and giving background to songs that had been voted the top 40. One of the most infuriating shows I’ve ever fast forwarded through. Apart from the inane comments that kept telling us how important a song that everyone wished they had never heard again was, the comments were interspersed throughout the songs - what’s the point of having a music countdown if they music isn’t played?

I watched it. I enjoyed it. If people wanted to listen to just the songs they could have looked them up on youtube. It was obvious that this was going to be a 20 to 1 style countdown from the description in the press release.