Eurovision Song Contest

Yeah agree. It feels like the second year in a row where not a lot of thought/effort has gone into it and they are just reaching out to artists that previously came close in Australia Decides.

1 Like

Agree. And I think if they were going to go down that path there were others that come close in Australia Decides that would have been better - Jaguar Jonze and Vanessa Amarosi for a start.

1 Like

Its really only in the final we do poor with the televote. Australia has been top 8 in the televote everytime in the SFs except for 2017 and 2021. We have even won our semi 3x, including the televote only semi last year with Voyager.

1 Like
1 Like

Australia will perform 13th out of 15 entries in semi-final 1 of this year’s ESC.
Electric Fields are sandwiched between Azerbaijan and Portugal in what’s a rather lacklustre 2nd half of SF1.

1 Like
1 Like

Well, IMO the Electric Fields song wont do much to eradicate the lacklustre feeling.

1 Like

Australia is in a great slot IMO and Electric Fields will elevate the song massively through their live performance + staging, they are fantastic live performers. Being placed between Azerbaijan and Portugal boosted their chances of qualifying.

1 Like

Kapsis will represent Cyprus and will perform Liar in the competition.

Based on betting odds we are in the bottom 10. Yes I know a lot can change and I havn’t compared that with who we are against in the semi final
 but I think at best we will be lucky to scrape into the final.

I was hoping that our song would grow on me but actually after a few listens I’m liking it less. It’s time Australia puts a bit more thought and energy into the selection process if we are going to compete. Even Sheppard have mentioned that they were in the running to compete, so SBS are seemingly only casting their net as wide as those that came close in the Australia Decides.

2 Likes

I guess a lot will come down to staging and how it is performed live

For me, it’s the first year that I haven’t favourited the song on Spotify and listened to on repeat. That feels a bit sad.

2 Likes

The lack of public involvement in the country’s song selection contributes to a lack of enthusiasm. Seems a big contrast to other countries. Perhaps SBS doesn’t have the money for a big staged event, but surely there are ways to use social mead to have a public contribution. Are they worried the public won’t do a good job?

2 Likes

I agree 100% with all that. I like the song less the more I hear it. If we make it into the final we’ll be bottom 10 or 15 IMO

1 Like

I really don’t care at this point, as long as we get to the final.

15 other countries had internal selections this year. I don’t think SBS has the money to hold national selections at the moment.

I do agree there but to be honest at Eurovision only the first impression will count, 90% of people will not have heard the song before.

Pro for Australia: there are only 15 songs competing in SF1 - two-thirds will qualify.

Cons: Australia typically does much better in juries - semis are now public vote only.
There are A LOT of beige up-tempo songs this year that are likely to get lost among each other. Sadly, I think this is one of them.

1 Like

I believe that Australia will never win Eurovision because of the public vote. We could however try and pick better songs than this years! Compared to what it set out as Eurovision is now a travesty with all the political voting etc.

2 Likes

We don’t do that bad with the televote in the semis, it’s the final where we really struggle. In 2016 we were 2nd in the televote in our semi, 7th in 2018, 2nd again in 2019, 8th in 2022 and 1st last year. We have only failed to qualify with the televote twice in 2017 and 2021.

1 Like
2 Likes