Eurovision Song Contest

It’s just going to be seen to the public like any other reality television singing contest with the way they are doing it over many weeks. I don’t see it doing well.

All Eurovision: Australia Decides song have now been released for next weeks contest. At this stage Voyager and Paulini’s songs are my faves. There’s too many boring slow songs and ballads otherwise.

Hot hits: Listen to all the songs of ‘Eurovision - Australia Decides’ 2022 | Guide (sbs.com.au)

2 Likes

NITV will also show Eurovision - Australia Decides 2022 this Saturday at 8.30pm. In NSW, ACT, VIC and TAS it will be a live simulcast with SBS while in other regions it will be a delayed broadcast on NITV due to time difference.

1 Like

All 11 songs revealed for Eurovision – Australia Decides 2022

• Watch the Live TV Final on Saturday, 26 February 8.30pm AEDT on SBS and cast your vote.
  • Be a part of history and see the event live on the Gold Coast.

With just one week until show time, SBS and production partner Blink TV have announced the final three songs for Eurovision – Australia Decides , setting the stage for a show like no other.

Artists and fans will soon be arriving on the Gold Coast, with the Live TV Final broadcast live and exclusive on SBS on Saturday 26 February. The national final will showcase some of Australia’s biggest acts, singing original songs, for the chance to represent Australia at the Eurovision Song Contest 2022 in Turin, Italy.

The final three songs to be revealed are G-NAT!ON’s edgy pop anthem Bite Me , Seann Miley Moore’s inspiring My Body and Erica Padilla’s soulful ballad To The Bottom .

G-NAT!ON said:Bite Me is all about being confident, fierce, and owning who you are. We wanted to perform a song that left us feeling a sense of empowerment and Bite Me definitely does that.”

Seann Miley Moore said: “Be bold. Be brave. Be YOU! Because that is #Be-YOU-tiful, and remember Australia, ever-BODY is welcome in SMM’s world! #MYBODY #body ody ody.”

Erica Padilla said:To The Bottom is pretty much my life story. It’s about pushing yourself to achieve your goals and doing whatever it takes to not fall back down to your rock bottom. It’s a triumph song and a song that was created to inspire, empower and leave anyone who listens to it with the drive to conquer the world!”

The final eleven acts vying for their shot to represent Australia on the world’s biggest stage are: Dynamic duo Isaiah Firebrace and Evie Irie with When I’m With You , six-piece girl group G-NAT!ON with Bite Me , charismatic pop star Andrew Lambrou with Electrify , multi-media artist Jaguar Jonze with Little Fires , pop newcomer Charley with I Suck At Being Lonely , the fabulous Seann Miley Moore with My Body , Perth’s metal quintet Voyager with Dreamer , singer-songwriter Jude York with I Won’t Need to Dream ,avant-garde performance artist Sheldon Riley with Not The Same , powerhouse entertainer PAULINI with We Are One , and TikTok Wildcard Erica Padilla with To The Bottom .

Joel Creasey and Myf Warhurst will be at the helm of SBS’s Eurovision – Australia Decides coverage, and will be joined by Eurovision Greenroom host, Dylan Lewis.

The event will also showcase Eurovision royalty with two special guest acts confirmed to perform: winner of the 2020 Eurovision – Australia Decides Montaigne will return to the stage where it all began, and will join Norwegian supergroup, KEiiNO for an unforgettable performance.

During the Opening Night Show on Friday 25 February, a Jury of artists and industry experts will vote for their favourite performance. The Australian public are eligible to vote for their favourite performances via SMS from Friday 25 February at 10pm AEDT until Saturday 26 February at approximately 9:45pm AEDT. The public vote makes up half of the overall vote. The artist and song that receives the most points overall will go on to represent Australia at the Eurovision Song Contest 2022 in May.

Be a part of history and see it live at the Gold Coast Convention and Exhibition Centre. Audience members are encouraged to embrace the glitz and glam that is Eurovision, and wear their Eurovision inspired masks at the live shows!

To purchase tickets: https://premier.ticketek.com.au/shows/show.aspx?sh=EUROVISI22

1 Like

The former Savage Garden singer is joined by vocalist Alexandra Rotan from Norwegian 2019 act KEiiNO, Millie Petriella from APRA-AMCOS, Emily Griggs SBS Head of Food and Entertainment, and Creative Director and producer Paul Clarke.

2 Likes

I noticed on the TV Tonight poll that Andrew Lambrou was way ahead in voles. I like the song. Electrify sounds like a very Eurovision song.

The EBU has kicked Russia out of this year’s Eurovision. Statement.

The EBU has announced that no Russian act will participate in this year’s Eurovision Song Contest.

The Executive Board of the EBU made the decision following a recommendation earlier today by the Eurovision Song Contest’s governing body, the Reference Group, based on the rules of the event and the values of the EBU. The Reference Group recommendation was also supported by the EBU’s Television Committee.

The decision reflects concern that, in light of the unprecedented crisis in Ukraine, the inclusion of a Russian entry in this year’s Contest would bring the competition into disrepute.

Before making this decision the EBU took time to consult widely among its membership.

The EBU is an apolitical member organization of broadcasters committed to upholding the values of public service.

We remain dedicated to protecting the values of a cultural competition which promotes international exchange and understanding, brings audiences together, celebrates diversity through music and unites Europe on one stage.

3 Likes

That’s good. 2nd time in 6 years tho, Russian act in 2017 got kicked out becuase of performing in Crimea.

I don’t know about this, Eurovision can’t just be apolitical when it suits them. If they ban Russia now they shouldnt be allowed get get away with the apolitical excuse whenever they are asked about Israel’s involvement.

They are either apolitical or they are not.

2 Likes

I was impressed by a lot of the performances on “Australia Decides” tonight. Many were better than I was expecting.

1 Like

Sheldon Riley won tonight’s contest after getting 50 points from the public vote, finishing with 100 points. The top three (Sheldon, Voyager, Jaguar Jonze) was so close only separated by only nine points after public votes were added to jury votes. Sheldon actually received the second highest amount of points in both jury and public voting (50 each).

Jaguar Jonze received highest points (51) from the five-member jury but only 40 from the public. Voyager received most points from the public vote (60) but only 37 from the jury.

I listened to all 11 tracks this morning and watched the telecast tonight. Jaguar was one of my three favourites alongside Charley and Isaiah and Evie.

Jaguar also had arguably the most dangerous performance of the night: the fabric on the metal frame she was wearing burnt from the spark as she sang. I think she rehearsed this performance a few times to ensure she could safely walk away while the fabric turned into ash.

Sheldon Riley’s performance gives me some Loreen Euphoria vibes. It’ll go far I reckon.

I just finished 3 hours of live tweeting the show. I voted for Jaguar Jonze, most of the other acts weren’t impressive.

As the winner of Australia Decides 2022, Sheldon also received a gold crown trophy whose design was inspired by the headwear worn by Kate Miller-Heidke when she won in 2019. I wonder if it will be the perpetual trophy from now on.

1 Like

I thought his performance was brilliant and was one of the biggest surprises of the night. I had him in my top 3. Watching it again a second time, I’m convinced he was probably the best performer with one of the best songs.

I thought Voyager performed surprisingly well and it was a very good Eurovision style song. But I didn’t think Jaguar Jonze was very good and was worried she was going to win based on that high jury vote.

I thought Paulini and Andrew Lambrou were better. Paulini was great but maybe that song was a bit ten years ago. I felt like Andrew’s performance was high energy and he might have been let down by some of his performance being missed by the director, cutting away at the wrong times and some of the special effects weren’t quite timed right for the cameras.

1 Like

Other news to this: shortly before a meeting was planned on Monday to discuss the stripping of their memberships, as told by the Director General of the Georgian Public Broadcaster, Tina Berdzenishvili, to the broadcaster’s news website; reports are suggesting that all three of Russia’s EBU members have left the organization, in retaliation of the country’s exclusion from Eurovision.

“We are a member of the European Broadcasting Union. I am personally a member of the Media Committee. It’s been a few days since Russia took over Ukraine’s lands, and then the European Broadcasting Union responded”.
[…]
According to Berdzenishvili, the issue of suspending the membership of Russian broadcasters will be discussed at the board meeting of the European Broadcasting Union on Monday.

However, there have been reports that all three members (Channel 1 Russia, VGTRK and Dom Ostankino) have resigned, prompting this response from the EBU:

https://twitter.com/EBU_HQ/status/1497622816983814146?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^tweet

2 Likes

Interesting observations. I was at the show and thought the quality was really good. There were 4 songs I really liked - Voyager, Jaguar, Isaiah/Evie and Andrew Lambrou.

I really wasn’t into Sheldon at all. I personally can’t see it doing well but who knows. I don’t like the gimicky face covering and the song was boring to me.

Loved Voyager and Jaguar. Then Isaiah/Evie and Andrew. I would have been happy with any of those 4 going through.

I’m really surprised Andrew didn’t do better than he did. I thought the song was great and the energy was fantastic. I was surprised how much I liked Isaiah/Evie.

Oh well, we’ll see how Sheldon goes, but personally not a fan.

2 Likes

SBS reveals Australia’s 2022 Eurovision Song Contest representative

Sheldon Riley has been crowned the winner of Eurovision – Australia Decides during the Live TV Final on SBS on Saturday 26 February.

The 22-year-old avant-garde performance artist took to the stage to perform his song Not The Same alongside some of Australia’s biggest names in music. The scores of the viewing public and jury were combined for the official results.

After winning over the Australian public with 50 points and a jury of industry experts with 50 points, an impressive 100 points overall, Sheldon Riley has been selected to represent Australia at the Eurovision Song Contest to be held in Turin, Italy, and broadcast live and exclusive on SBS in May 2022.

In a nail-biting finish, Perth’s metal quintet Voyager took out second place with 97 points overall leading the public vote with their song Dreamer , while Jaguar Jonze came in third place with Little Fires with 91 points overall.

Sheldon Riley said: “I’m speechless, this is everything I have worked for and dreamed of since I can remember. I am so incredibly honoured to represent Australia on the biggest stage in the world. I have said this a few times throughout this Aus Decides experience that people will choose different when given the chance to see it. Thank you for giving me my chance to prove that”.

SBS Head of Entertainment Emily Griggs said:Eurovision - Australia Decides 2022 had a wonderful sense of camaraderie among the artists but onstage, competition was fierce. With such an impressive line-up there was no clear winner which was exciting. I am thrilled that Sheldon Riley will be heading to Turino in May. His performance was mesmerising and his passion for Eurovision is undeniable. I can’t wait to see Sheldon continue on the road to Italy.”

Creative Director of Eurovision – Australia Decides and Director of Blink TV Paul Clarke said: “Sheldon has worked so hard to create this song and staging, and he will shine as the original artist he is on the biggest musical stage of all.”

2022 Eurovision – Australia Decides Jury Member and Singer-Songwriter Darren Hayes said: “Congratulations Sheldon Riley! Not The Same perfectly captures the feeling of being different, something I related to in my own life and I’m sure many other fans throughout Europe will connect with too. Married with his incredible vocal and dramatic performance, Europe will be floored by him. All the best in Turin, Sheldon!”

Gold Coast Mayor Tom Tate said: “From the Gold Coast to Italy - what an incredible journey. I’m so proud our city hosted Eurovision – Australia Decides and wish our finalist success when Eurovision concludes in Turin in May. Go Australia."

In association with the Queensland Government via Tourism and Events Queensland, Major Events Gold Coast, Screen Queensland, APRA AMCOS, TikTok, and official artist accommodation partner Dorsett Gold Coast, Eurovision – Australia Decides was presented at the Gold Coast Convention and Exhibition Centre. The Queensland Government, via Tourism and Events Queensland, is proud to support Eurovision – Australia Decides , which features on the It’s Live! in Queensland events calendar. Moroccanoil supported the event with hair styling.

Hosted by comedian Joel Creasey , and music buffs Myf Warhurst and Dylan Lewis , the national selection showcases the best of Australian music and brings the nation closer to the Eurovision action.