Eurovision Song Contest

I’ve not seen anything confirmed but I imagine they’ll just do the same as last year

With the election to be held on May 18, SBS’ primetime schedule is already disrupted

I was about to say the primetime replay of semi final 2 on May 18 will take a hit in the ratings, not to mention it being interrupted by federal election coverage.

You’d think SBS will probably move some coverage of the Eurovision Song Contest to SBS VICELAND on May 18 while the main channel focuses on Federal Election coverage?

Or encourage fans to watch the live telecast of semi final 2 instead? It will air on SBS on early morning of May 17.
This clash is getting quite a lot of mention on social media.

I don’t see what problem the election causes for Eurovsion coverage. They aren’t on the same nights are they?

2 Likes

Last year’s schedule was

Friday - Semi Final 2 replay 319,000 ranked 20th
Saturday - Eurovision Top 40 Controversies (ranked outside top 20)
Sunday - Final replay ranked 25th

2 Likes

That won’t be a problem if like last year the prime time replays are on Wednesday the 15th , Friday the 17th and Sunday the 19th.

3 Likes

In the past SBS used to air the 2nd semi final delayed on Saturday nights but more recently they’ve shown those on the Friday night (following live broadcast on Friday morning)

But does SBS bother with big election coverage anyway? Probably no reason they couldn’t run a Eurovision-themed special on Saturday night (as they may do) then lead into an election roundup. Or utilise Viceland for Eurovision specials. Don’t really see it as a big issue myself.

3 Likes

There won’t be any clash if like last year the prime time replays are on Wednesday the 15th , Friday the 17th and Sunday the 19th.

2 Likes

There won’t be a disruption if like last year the prime time replays are on Wednesday the 15th , Friday the 17th and Sunday the 19th.

1 Like

SBS are mixing up the evening broadcasts for this year.

Evening broadcasts 8:30pm on Thursday, Friday and Sunday.
Live shows still 5am (AEST) Wednesday, Friday, Sunday.

So they must have been planning Friday, Saturday and Sunday before the election interrupted that.

Why Thursday? I just don’t get why they wouldn’t air it the same night as the morning broadcast.

2 Likes

Last year the prime time replays were same day as live (Wednesday, Friday, Sunday).

My exact thoughts and why have they pushed the replays back an hour. The final will now finish after midnight.

Maybe they were thinking about switching the repeats to consecutive nights though. Why else would they move the Wednesday one to Thursday then?

Does SBS ever do big election coverage anyway?

They never have. They usually just have news breaks.