Eurovision Song Contest

They will probably air the show that’s been put together by the EBU.

1 Like

SBS has confirmed Montaigne will represent Australia in 2021. It’s really the only fair decision. I just hope the song is a lot better :slight_smile:

1 Like

That means there will be no Eurovision: Australia Decides next year.
But Dami Im will be disappointed as she had vowed to compete for a spot in 2021.

3 Likes

There’s no reason why Dami couldn’t participate in the 2022 national final if she still wants to compete for a spot

2 Likes

Great news for Eurovision fans. A whole week of Eurovision content coming our way!

And we can vote for our 3 favourites with the results being shown 16th of May :grin:

1 Like

It’s Eurovision, 2020-style!

Respect social distancing and get behind your favourite acts. Vote for your top three now.

The results of Australia’s vote will be revealed during Eurovision 2020: Big Night In! on SBS, Saturday 16 May 2020, 7:30pm.

The real Eurovision Song Contest 2020 may be taking a break, but that doesn’t mean you still can’t have a bit of fun and vote for which songs you love the most!

SBS will unite Australians and celebrate the 2020 artists and songs with Eurovision 2020: Big Night In! premiering Saturday 16 May at 7.30pm. SBS is inviting you to vote for your favourite three 2020 acts from all competing nations* and watch as we countdown the results over three big hours.

Just like voting in the actual Eurovision, you can allocate 12, 10 or 8 points to your favourite songs to see which Eurovision performance Australia thinks is the best!

Voting is now open until Sunday 3 May at 11:59pm AEST, and all you have to do is:

Step 1: Watch the 2020 Eurovision acts

Watch or listen to the songs that would have competed in Eurovision 2020. Stream the Eurovision Song Contest playlist below or watch the videos on the YouTube channel.

Step 2: Vote!

Head to our poll here or via the link below to allocate your 12, 10 or 8 points for your 3 favourite songs.

You must rank your favourite 3 songs from 12 (highest) to 8 (lowest).

*In keeping with Eurovision rules, you cannot vote for your own country Australia (even though you may want to!) and you can only vote once.

Remember, this is a fun vote, so don’t try anything tricky to skew the results – otherwise your vote may not get counted!

Big Night In!

Plus a whole week of Eurovision programming from 10–17 May.

Following the unprecedented cancellation of the Eurovision Song Contest this year, SBS is excited to announce a week-long festival of Eurovision from 10-17 May, culminating in a brand new alternative Eurovision 2020 with SBS’s Eurovision 2020: Big Night In! and Eurovision: Europe Shine a Light from The Netherlands.

We celebrate the 2020 artists and songs with Eurovision 2020: Big Night In! premiering Saturday 16 May at 7.30pm. SBS is inviting fans to vote for their favourite three 2020 acts from all competing nations* and watch as we countdown the results over three big hours. Voting is open now until Sunday 3 May.

Hosted by Eurovisionaries music buff Myf Warhurst and comedian Joel Creasey , the must-see TV event will feature special guest appearances from big names across the globe and an exclusive studio performance from our very own Montaigne, giving audiences the first look at the performance she would have unveiled in Rotterdam next month.

Uniting our dedicated Eurovision audience watching from home, viewers can join the conversation and have the chance to see their tweets and lounge room party pics on screen during Eurovision 2020: Big Night In! by using #Eurovision #BigNightIn.

Airing on SBS on Sunday 17 May at 8.30pm will be the special two-hour program Eurovision: Europe Shine a Light hosted by Dutch Eurovision presenters Chantal Janzen, Edsilia Rombley and Jan Smit. Broadcast from The Netherlands, Eurovision: Europe Shine A Light will honour all 41 songs in a non-competitive format and provide plenty of surprises for fans at home.

On Sunday 10 May, SBS VICELAND will kick off Eurovision week with a Road to Eurovision special filmed live in The Netherlands. The two-hour program featured this year’s hosts of Eurovision celebrating the 64-year history of the event with 22 past Eurovision winners and performers coming back together to perform their biggest hits including Sergey Lazarev, Dana International, Netta and Johnny Logan.

From Monday to Friday, we celebrate Australia’s history in Eurovision. Australia has been an official competitor in the song contest since 2015 and has progressed through to the Grand Final every year since. Relive these historic moments weekdays on SBS, with replays of the Eurovision Song Contest Grand Finals 2015-2019 .

On Monday 11 May, watch 2015 wild card entrant Guy Sebastian take the stage in Vienna, Austria, with Tonight Again taking out fifth place. On Tuesday, relive the moment Australia almost won it with Dami Im’s 2016 performance of Sound of Silence in Stockholm, Sweden. On Wednesday, watch another top 10 performance from Australia with Isaiah’s Don’t Come Easy coming in ninth at the 2017 contest in Kyiv, Ukraine. On Thursday, be transported to Lisbon, Portugal in 2018 featuring Jessica Mauboy’s We Got Love, and on Friday, Kate Miller-Heidke takes Australia to new heights, literally, with the performance of Zero Gravity in 2019.

Eurovision Week on SBS and SBS VICELAND

Date Time
Sunday 10 May 8.30pm-10.30pm Road to Eurovision 2020 on SBS VICELAND
Monday 11 May 1.30pm – 5.30pm Eurovision Song Contest 2015 on SBS
Tuesday 12 May 1.30pm – 5.30pm Eurovision Song Contest 2016 on SBS
Wednesday 13 May 1.30pm – 5.30pm Eurovision Song Contest 2017 on SBS
Thursday 14 May 1.30pm – 5.30pm Eurovision Song Contest 2018 on SBS
Friday 15 May 1.15pm – 5.30pm Eurovision Song Contest 2019 on SBS
Saturday 16 May 7.30pm – 10.30pm Eurovision 2020: Big Night In!
Saturday 16 May 10.30pm – 12.30am Eurovision Top 40 Controversies on SBS
Saturday 16 May 12.30am – 1.30am Secrets of Eurovision on SBS
Sunday 17 May 8.30pm – 1030pm Eurovision: Europe Shine a Light
1 Like

I wonder why SBS didn’t start broadcasting Eurovision from the year the channel itself started broadcasting (1980)?

probally because 2015 was the first year australia competed

Huh? SBS first broadcast the Eurovision Song Contest in 1983.

thats not what i said - i said 2015 was the first year we competed. in 2015 Guy Sebastion sang Tonight Again and Lee Lin Chin announced our pomts.

Yes I know that. But you were replying to the question:

I wonder why SBS didn’t start broadcasting Eurovision from the year the channel itself started broadcasting (1980)?

probally because 2015 was the first year australia competed

To make things simpler, what I asked is this:

Why didn’t SBS start broadcasting Eurovision in the year it started transmission (1980)? The 1980 part is the year that SBS started broadcasting.

SBS-TV first went on-air in October 1980. If I’m not mistaken, the Eurovision Song Contest is traditionally held in May.

As for the reason why they didn’t broadcast the 1981 and 1982 events, well satellite technology wasn’t as advanced in the Early 1980s as it is now.

Well, I guess they couldn’t do everything from day one. Originally, they mostly just screened foreign language programs.

I guess someone working there thought it would be a great fit for the network, when they were looking for more programs with wider appeal. So they tried it out and had great success with it.

i thought we were talking about the eurovisons being shown dueing the eurovison week of programming. my bad

1 Like

Nothing like having the actual Eurovision but SBS have produced a good special with Joel and Myf with Eurovision 2020: Big Night In!

2 Likes