Eurovision Song Contest

Wonder if Eurovision Asia-Pacific will end up happening at all.

This year’s Junior Eurovision Song Contest will be shown on ABC ME on Monday, November 27 at 7.30pm (see ABC ME thread for details), following discussions between the ABC, SBS, and the European Broadcasting Union. This means though the event, to be held at Tbilisi, Georgia, will not be shown live on TV in Australia, and fans will have to catch the live broadcast on YouTube.

A lot of sharing between ABC and SBS lately which makes you wonder if this heading closer to a merger of the two entities.

I don’t necessarily think so, I think it’s more just the two public broadcasters working collaboratively rather than competitively, which is what they should be doing. SBS never really knew what to do with JESC so at least with ABC ME it gets a better profile among its target age group

4 Likes

SBS secures Australia’s spot in the 2018 Eurovision Song Contest

SBS has once again secured Australia’s participation as a competitor on the world’s biggest stage, at the 2018 Eurovision Song Contest to be held in Lisbon, Portugal.

The 2018 contest will mark Australia’s fourth year of competing in the event, following a remarkable record of three top ten finishes, with Guy Sebastian’s fifth place in 2015, Dami Im’s second place in 2016, and Isaiah Firebrace coming ninth in the 2017 contest, which was held earlier this year in Kyiv, Ukraine.

Eurovision will be broadcast on SBS in May 2018, and will be hosted by Myf Warhurst and Joel Creasey, returning after their debut as hosts and commentators at the 2017 contest.

The Eurovision Song Contest is the world’s largest television music competition and in 2017, the Semi Finals and Grand Final attracted 182 million* viewers worldwide and reached more than three million** Australians.

SBS has been the home of the Eurovision Song Contest in Australia for more than 30 years. Eurovision celebrates diversity and strengthens bonds between different cultures by bringing them together; united in a common passion for music.

SBS Managing Director Michael Ebeid said: “SBS is proud to secure Australia’s return as competitors in the Eurovision Song Contest for the fourth year, as the country’s unique affection and passion for Eurovision continues to grow.

“In Guy, Dami and Isaiah, SBS has showcased the incredible talent of Australia’s musical performers on the world stage, and in turn, the wonderful diversity that makes up Australia today.

“It’s also great to be welcoming back hosts Myf Warhurst and Joel Creasey after they perfectly captured the spirit of the contest in their debut this year. We’re looking forward to revealing more exciting news in the coming months.”

Australian Head of Delegation and Director of Blink TV, Paul Clarke, said: “It’s wonderful that we’re back! In the three years that we have competed in Eurovision we have achieved huge success, ranking second in the results overall behind Sweden. It’s an exciting challenge for us to find a competitor who can fly the flag high for Australia, and we can’t wait to begin that search.”

In 2018, the Eurovision Song Contest will be hosted for the first time ever by Portugal, in its capital city of Lisbon, after Salvador Sobral won the 2017 competition with his love ballad Amar Pelos Dois.

3 Likes

ABC announces the song choice for this year’s Junior Eurovision Song Contest:

Junior Eurovision

Monday 27 November at 7:30pm

Join ABC ME’s Grace Koh, Pip Rasmussen and Tim Matthews as they take you through all the action from this incredible event, including the performance of our very own Isabella Clarke.

Public voting opens this Friday at Junior Eurovision website. You can even vote for Australia to win. Public voting comprises 50% of the final tally.

Isabella Clarke has finished third in this year’s Junior Eurovision Song Contest. That is a great result.

Seems to be very little interest in this anywhere.

I’m a follower of various ESC Twitters and i didn’t see a single spoiler ahead of ABC’s screening :wink:

Who will represent Australia at Eurovision 2018?

Start guessing… Australia’s 2018 Eurovision Song Contest artist to be revealed Monday 11 December!

The Australian artist chasing Eurovision glory at the world’s biggest song contest is about to be announced, on Monday 11 December.

The 2018 Eurovision Contest will mark Australia’s fourth year of competing in the event, following a remarkable record of three top ten finishes, with Guy Sebastian’s fifth place in 2015, Dami Im’s second place in 2016, and Isaiah Firebrace coming ninth in the 2017 contest, which was held earlier this year in Kyiv, Ukraine.

Now comes our chance to do it all again, at the 2018 Eurovision Song Contest in Lisbon, Portugal in May.

So, who will our next Eurovision star be? Will it be a group, a male or female solo artist representing Australia on the world stage?

Who will represent Australia at Eurovision 2018?

All will be revealed on Monday 11 December.

Eurovision will be broadcast on SBS in May 2018, and will be hosted by Myf Warhurst and Joel Creasey, returning after their debut as hosts and commentators at the 2017 contest.

1 Like

As Fairfax is reporting, Jessica Mauboy will be Australia’s entrant for the 2018 event

EDIT: Announcement tweet/video:

1 Like

My interest in the Australian entry is minimal. Australia should never have been an official entrant, and that it continues is farcical. SBS has the same EBU membership status as NBC, CBS, ABC and numerous other non-European broadcasters - they are all associate members, not full members.

The difference being that there is very little following of the song contest in the United States - mainly because it isn’t broadcast there, whereas SBS has been broadcasting it here for several decades.

Plus there is quite a strong connection between Australia and Europe in terms of culture.

My main objection is that the contestant is not selected by the public, and the Sony Music influence over the selection is unacceptable.

2 Likes

Sony’s the one paying the bills apparently, or at least subsidising some of SBS’s costs, so it’s they who get to call the shots I guess

So then, expect Johnny Famham to be on when the list has been exhausted.

3 Likes

I would look forward to seeing “Channel Seven personalities and shows” :weary:

2 Likes

I don’t know, ‘So Fresh compilation albums’ is looking rather promising. :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes