ESPN

ESPN Extra on Channel 510 is needed for Overflow Of Sports.

1 Like

Less Fox Sports channels and more ESPN channels needed. I think ESPN will only get bigger with more LIVE content while Fox Sports have paid too much for rights and left the other important sports out. Once ESPN gains alot of Fox US (and world) assets, I can the need for more ESPN channels needed. Maybe just brand it as ESPN+ rather than ESPN3. Not sure if a PPV service ala ESPN+ US will work here.

With the superbowl wonder if ESPN will do their own telecast rather than take the world feed.

1 Like

yes, Booger, Jason and Joe are calling the game for us.

1 Like

It’s been woeful. Never again, hopefully.

1 Like

Like the idea of a tailored call. It’s just ESPN has a bad team to do it with

Why do we need a tailored call?

ESPN could have given us the best analyst in the game in Tony Romo, instead we get this atrocious team and cringeworthy Australia/NZ references.

Well done to the New England Parrots winning their Sixth Super Bowl title, beating the LA Rams 13 to 3.

Whoops I mean the Patriots :stuck_out_tongue:

It was pretty bad - but as the only available HD coverage, it was a toss up between being able to see the ball or not

2 Likes

There was always NFL Gamepass streaming CBS (including US commercials) in HD if you were willing to pay. That’s what I usually watch during the season.

At first when I saw ESPN doing their own coverage I thought they’d taken over World Feed production as they had the CBS down markers mixed in with their own graphics. That they produced a feed just for Australia/New Zealand is mind boggling when that effort would have been better spent providing the feed to all of their non-US markets, if they were so intent on not taking the CBS call.

When will they learn, the only way to avoid criticism is to take the host broadcaster feed. 2017 ESPN taking World Feed instead of Fox, 2016 Seven accidentally taking World Feed instead of CBS for the first half…nobody wants a dumbed down product. If we’re watching it in the middle of the day on a Monday, we get the game and want the professional A-Grade coverage we’re used to.

1 Like

Whatever this world feed is, it shouldn’t exist. There should just be the US free-to-air coverage and commentary, with the Spanish commentary available for whoever wants it. CBS television had the ESPN Spanish radio coverage available on their secondary audio program.

it’s the NFL Network’s coverage but they dumb it down as they know most people will be watching it on the main network.

The NFL Network doesn’t show the game in the US.

The world feed is easier for broadcasters to work with worldwide as there is a structure to the transmission around ads and timing etc. CBS plays it a bit fast and loose and obviously comes with inbuilt advertising that networks around the world might not want to show their viewers.

2 Likes

I’m not saying we need it - I’m just saying I like the idea (and I’m saying that as someone who watched 7mate in order to hear Romo)

ESPN have some form in this regard. Since they took the MLB rights from Fox Sports, they’ve taken the world feed for the World Series. During the NHL All-Star game last weekend, they took the NBCSN pre-game show, then switched to the world feed for some reason. They’ve never listened to viewers complaints on social media - such is the problem of having an Australian-aired channel run and played out from World HQ in Bristol.

1 Like

Taking the world feed over the regulars is a pet hate of mine. Fox use it for the Masters where they have one guy repeatedly come over the top of the CBS guys for no reason

1 Like

Think they don’t have a choice when it comes to the MLB - I know BT Sport in the UK and even Sportsnet in Canada do that as well

In regards to the NHL All-Star game:
https://twitter.com/ESPNAusNZ/status/1089379879483654145

2 Likes

The world feed for MLB World Series drives me crazy, and makes me cough find way around it.

Fox Sports seem to be forced to take a world feed of NASCAR too, even when Fox is the host broadcaster. The commentators just randomly disappear (during sponsored portions of the American broadcast) and the studio hosts are rarely seen.

3 Likes

I hate to think the sort of bullshit that we inflict on overseas viewers of local sport because they dont produce world feeds - we dont need to see clumsy cross-promotion, let alone anyone out side of this country