ESPN

Hmm, Fox Sports must’ve had a different contract then if they managed to show the NBC feed during the Stanley Cup Finals and the All-Star Game… :face_with_monocle:

1 Like

I don’t often watch ESPN but found it interesting that when watching this morning that they had a local Sportscenter Now updates hosted by Mark Brown during the commercial breaks. So one update had information on Australian cricket team the other I saw had highlights of last nights A-league game.

I use to watch a lot of ESPN back when they covered a larger range of sports and I am interested in how long these local SC Now updates have been running for and how often?

i’m going to be buying mlb tv this year just to get away from espn’s horrid coverage. 3 games a week is not enough (seriously… can we get mlb tv here?)

According to Finder.com.au, yes (the MLB website seems to not explicitly say one way or the other)

Since Australian free-to-air TV doesn’t cover MLB games, Aussie MLB.TV subscribers get access to every game of the season, live and on-demand.

i’ve emailed MLB and confirmed there are no blackouts here. when i mean 3 games a week thats what i heard espn will be showing here

ESPN tends to show the games which ESPN US airs (Sunday/Monday/Wednesday Night Baseball) along with MLB Network’s ‘Strike Zone’ (MLB’s equivalent of NFL RedZone) on Saturday mornings. Pretty sure they also air other games (using regional RSN feeds) somewhat regularly

I don’t see the point of these but ESPN so called twice weekly Sportscenter Australia opener from Wednesday (sorry for the poor quality)

Didn’t ESPN produce a local Aus/NZ edition of Sportscenter from there Bristol studios that use to screen in the mornings like at 7.00am about 10 years ago?

Someone can correct me if I am wrong I think it started in 2007 in a morning timeslot in 2010 they revamped it move into HD 16:9 studios and moved it into a 6:30pm timeslot which also saw them cut down coving local sports before it finally got axed in 2012.

Strange how their has been no advertisement for the return of SC Aus I am guessing it got reinstated at the start of the NBA session as the 2 30 minute bulletins Wednesday & Friday are build up to NBA games. From my viewing they also produce two 1 minute Sportscenter Right Now updates on Thursday and Saturday mornings. Going from this week the 2 Thursday updates only covered American sports like the 2 30 minute editions, the Saturday updates from last week were more local covering A-league highlights and a cricket story.

The only event in Australia big enough to get a world feed is the Australian Open. Everything else is small potatoes and barely watched overseas.

Yesterday ESPN revealed it had signed a new deal with the Football Association to show the FA Cup in Australia, ahead of this weekend’s semi finals. Its previous broadcast deal expired at the end of 2018 and local fans missed out on seeing the fourth and fifth rounds and quarter finals of 2018/19 tournament on TV.
ESPN’s new FA Cup deal also covers the Caribbean and Spanish-speaking parts of Latin America.

EDIT: C21 adds that under the new deal, ESPN will show 79 FA Cup matches in the 2019-20 season, plus tournament highlights and the season opening FA Community Shield.

4 Likes

FA Cup final only on ESPN from 1.55am AEST on Sunday morning

Two NBL primetime games to air on ESPN, another sport that won’t air on Fox Sports anymore

4 Likes

Any news on NFL rights, Obviously ESPN has SNF, MNF, Redzone and its normal array of programming. What about FTA, still 7Mate or has 10 Bold won the rights.

The NBL website has no news on the ESPN broadcast deal yet.

That is still yet to be determined as 7’s deal has already lapsed. It expired June 30

Regarding the NBL, there’s 5 - 7 games per round - we know 9Go will air 2 games a round while ESPN will show 2 - 3 games (rough guess based on the number of primetime games played last season). That still leaves quite a number of games without a broadcast partner

Is NBL the first Australian sporting league to be shown on ESPN?

Think someone has ‘jumped the gun’ on the announcement - both the tweet & article linked to above have been deleted