ESPN

Foxtel Group announces ground-breaking deal with the NBL and ESPN

Every game live to watch on Foxtel and stream on Kayo from 2021

Foxtel Group and News Corp to extend NBL’s reach with two games of every round available as Kayo Freebies.

The Foxtel Group today announced a new, ground breaking three-year agreement with the National Basketball League and ESPN that will see every game of the NBL season and finals live on ESPN broadcast on Foxtel and streamed on Kayo.

With NBL on the rise, one of Australia’s fastest growing sports, the new deal will see a new media partnership with the Foxtel Group and News Corp to take the reach of the league to the next level attracting new audiences, and providing more content, game analysis, engagement and general coverage.

Patrick Delany, Foxtel Group Chief Executive Officer said Australian sports fans want to follow and watch the best in sport and there is no doubt audience interest in the NBL is at a tipping point.

“We have a long and rich history with the NBL and over the years have seen the players, coaches, clubs and national participation in the sport go from strength to strength. Our partnership with ESPN allows us to use the growing scale of our Foxtel and Kayo sports platform to significantly build audience engagement.”

“With 2.4 million households now watching sport on Foxtel and streaming Kayo, the Foxtel Group provides the largest audience of sports fans in the country. As a key broadcast partner of ESPN in Australia, we are pleased to be bringing all NBL games of this world-class competition to fans live and on demand this season.”

“And to take reach of the NBL even further, we will be streaming two games from every round on Kayo Freebies. With almost 90% of Australian households with internet access, this will unlock even more opportunities to grow basketball in Australia.”

TV audiences of NBL grew 72% over the last six seasons between 2014 and 2020 marking significant growth of fans in the sport*.

Larry Kestelman, NBL owner and executive chairman, said Foxtel Group’s coverage on Foxtel as well as Kayo Sports completes the best broadcast deal in the history of the NBL.

“I want to thank ESPN and Foxtel Group for their continued support, and for having the belief and confidence in us as a competition and organisation,” he said.

“With more than 1.1 million people playing basketball nationally each year, our sport is exploding in popularity and we cannot wait to work together to attract and entertain a legion of new members, fans and supporters, and show them what our league has to offer.

“This media deal is a game changer in every sense and shows we are a league that continues to rise in stature, reputation and popularity. Our fans are at the heart of everything we do and there is something for everyone in this exciting new deal and it serves as a huge vote of confidence in our clubs, players and the path we’re on together.”

Every game of the new NBL season will be available on Foxtel and streamed on Kayo from October 2021.

So it will all be on ESPN via Foxtel, streaming on Kayo (+ some matches available as freebies) and a yet to be announced FTA Partner?

Yes.

1 Like

ESPN has today announced details of an expanded NFL rights agreement which runs until the 2032/33 season (in line with the length of ESPN’s Monday Night Football rights agreement).

The network will continue to air all the games they have in the past few seasons (ie; 2 Sunday afternoon games, Sunday, Monday & Thursday Night Football and the Playoffs + Super Bowl). In addition though, an additional Sunday afternoon game as well as the NFL Network and NFL RedZone will all be available exclusively on the ESPN app.

Nice to see Redzone return.

Awwww damn! I just bought NFL Game Pass. :joy::tired_face: Ah well, next season I’ll just get a Foxtel Now subscription.

Would be nice if they put Redzone on one of the channels. But I’ve got game pass anyways

1 Like

With the NFL Game Pass, you will be able to watch games not covered by ESPN or 7mate.

Once you go RedZone, you won’t need the individual games. :grin:

2 Likes

Especially when you’re a Jets fan, you don’t need individual games from Week 2 onwards.

2 Likes

NHL.TV is no longer accessible to Australian viewers. ESPN is to announce details of how to watch the 2021-22 NHL season in Australia

Once you’ve experienced the magic of 7 hours of commercial-free football, it’s hard to go back to watching individual games (unless it’s a really compelling one).

According to the NHL’s website, NHL.TV is being replaced by Watch ESPN (ie; the ESPN app and website). I’m assuming that means every game will be available through ESPN’s platforms.

3 Likes

Oof. :joy: I’m a Bears fan though so I can’t talk, haha.

I’m a Packers fan. We get games on either ESPN or 7mate

1 Like

That’s what I like to see! #gopackgo

2 Likes

Here are the details of ESPN’s broadcast deal with the NHL.

2 Likes

Interesting to see this strategy

ESPN is shunting a decent amount of content to their app, which is unavailable (currently) to Kayo subscribers - will be interesting to see if that changes or it remains “premium” content for Foxtel/Fetch subscribers

4 Likes

The ice hockey fans I know are furious. Absolutely livid.

2 Likes