Erotic Stories

SBS reveal cast for provocative new Australian drama anthology – Erotic Stories

L-R, top: Frances O’Connor, Kate Box, Yuchen Wang, Emily Havea, Dominic Ona-Ariki. Centre: Bert LaBonte, Crystal Nguyen, Rarriwuy Hick, Joel Lago, Alex Fitzalan. Bottom: Melanie Vallejo, Bernie Van Tiel, Googoorewon Knox, Tim Draxl, Danielle Cormack.

Erotic Stories, SBS’s bold and transgressive new original anthology drama series, has commenced production in Sydney with a stellar ensemble cast including Golden Globe Best Actress nominee Frances O’Connor (The Missing, Madam Bovary, The End).

O’Connor is joined by Kate Box (Rake, Wentworth and the upcoming Deadloch), Danielle Cormack (Year Of, Secret She Keeps, My Life is Murder), Rarriwuy Hick (Wentworth, True Colours), Googoorewon Knox (While The Men Are Away, Black Snow), Melanie Vallejo (Upgrade, Winners and Losers), Tim Draxl (In Our Blood, A Place to Call Home), Yuchen Wang (Safe Home, New Gold Mountain, Hungry Ghosts), Dominic Ona-Ariki (Shortland Street, One Lane Bridge), Bert LaBonte (The Newsreader, Colin From Accounts, Five Bedrooms), Emily Havea (Latecomers, Darby & Joan, A Perfect Pairing), Fayssal Bazzi (Shantaram, Stateless), Bernie Van Tiel (Class of ’07), Roman Delo (Bump), Victoria Haralabidou (Wakefield, The Tourist), Kween Kong (RuPaul’s Drag Race) and Alex FitzAlan (The Wilds, Chevalier and the upcoming series Prosper), and introduces Joel Lago and Crystal Nguyen in their breakout roles. More cast to be announced.

The eight-part anthology is produced by Lingo Pictures, part of ITV Studios, and penned by some of Australia’s most exciting writers including Sarah Walker, Marieke Hardy, Adrian Chiarella, Alistair Baldwin, Jean Tong, Tamara Asmar, Sara Khan and Christine Bartlett.

The series is set to change the narrative of what sex and intimacy look like today, delving into the delight, complexity and chaos of lust and longing. This deliciously provocative series tells unique stories with each of the lead characters someone who has not typically been written as sexual leads on Australian screens; be it queer, gender-diverse, living with disability, middle-aged and/or people of colour. Erotic Stories step into these fresh perspectives allowing them to explore desire, from their own point of view.

Producers are Lingo Pictures’ Helen Bowden (The Secrets She Keeps, On the Ropes and the upcoming Queen of Oz), with Liam Heyen (Latecomers, Top End Wedding). Executive Producer is Jason Stephens (The Lambs of God, Upright, The Messenger) and directors are Madeleine Gottlieb, who directed Latecomers and whose short films have screened at major film festivals including Toronto, SXSW, Aspen, Melbourne, Sydney, Seattle, Palm Springs and Interfilm Berlin, and award-winning Argentinian-born Australian stage and screen director Leticia Cáceres (Bump, The Spooky Files).

Helen Bowden, Lingo Pictures, said: “True to the title, this series is truly erotic. It is sensual and honest and full of positive human connections…. And hopefully it’ll be a turn on for everyone! Thanks to SBS for giving Lingo the best brief ever, and for being entirely supportive as we’ve developed these funny, moving and surprising stories. “

Julie Eckersley, SBS’ Head of Scripted, said: “There are so many things to love about this inventive and cheeky series. True to the unique and noisy drama that SBS is known for making, it uses the erotic to take the audience into new worlds and points of view, as the best drama does. It is a series that is going to glue audiences to the screen… and maybe make them blush a little if their mother sees them watching it.”

Grainne Brunsdon, Screen Australia’s Head of Content, said: “Lingo Pictures have cleverly crafted a timely and challenging series that reminds us that sex and intimacy is both personal and universal. From the creative minds of a truly talented writing team, and the diverse cast announced today, audiences can look forward to uplifting and honest stories from a wide range of characters we can relate to.”

Richard Cohen, Acting Head of Screen NSW, said: “Screen NSW is thrilled to support Erotic Stories from leading NSW-based production company Lingo Pictures. This bold new anthology series promises to provoke conversation and change the way sex, intimacy and connection are commonly viewed. We can’t wait for audiences to see this fresh take on Australian storytelling from a strong, diverse creative team.”

Erotic Stories is a Lingo Pictures, part of ITV Studios, production for SBS with major production investment from Screen Australia in association with SBS. Financed with support from Screen NSW.

Erotic Stories will premiere on SBS and SBS On Demand in 2023 and is produced in association with, and distributed internationally by, ITV Studios.

2 Likes

This brings back memories of me as a young teen in the early 2000’s trying to catch episodes of Erotic Tales on SBS

7 Likes

SBS = Sex before Soccer. :rofl:

3 Likes

Erotic Stories will have its world premiere at SXSW Sydney Festival at Event Cinemas George Street on October 18.

Updated 23/9/2023

Lol me too . Before we had internet too. It was European from memory.

1 Like

Seductive SBS Original drama series Erotic Stories premieres Thursday 26 October on SBS and SBS On Demand

Untitled

SBS’s deliciously provocative new series Erotic Stories will premiere on Thursday 26 October, with all episodes available to stream on SBS On Demand and double episodes to air at 9:30pm on SBS each Thursday.

In eight steamy stories we explore sex and intimacy with a star-studded cast like you’ve never seen them before. These intriguing tales star a formidable cast of Australian greats, including Golden Globe Best Actress nominee Frances O’Connor (The Importance of Being Earnest, Madam Bovary, The Missing), Mark Coles Smith (Mystery Road: Origin, The Clearing, The Drover’s Wife), Kate Box (Deadloch, Wentworth, Rake), Tim Draxl (In Our Blood, A Place to Call Home, The Newsreader) Danielle Cormack (Wentworth, Rake, The Secrets She Keeps), Alex FitzAlan (The Twelve, The Wilds and upcoming series Prosper), Rärriwuy Hick (True Colours, Wentworth, Redfern Now), and Catherine McClements (Total Control, Ms Fisher’s Modern Murder Mysteries, Pieces of Her).

Of signing up to star in the series for Come As You Are Frances O’Connor said: “I wanted to do it because I thought the writing was really strong and I think it’s really exciting storytelling. Eroticism is something that we don’t really explore in a conscious, public way.”

Guaranteed to spark fervent conversation the tales twist and turn with fresh takes on universal themes. In Philia, middle-aged mates put their friendship to the test when they experiment with remotely connected sex toys. The Deluge explores breaking a sexual drought with someone you meet on a dating app, while Bound delves into the world of a young gay man being fetishised for his disability.

Co-star of Bound, Tim Draxl, said: “Eroticism, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder, and the eroticism in Bound deals with something that is quite taboo and probably carries a lot of stigma around it. I love that this show is bringing that out into the open and making it a discussion.”

In Powerful Owl, a young First Nations couple are forced to put their strong sensual bond to the test as they struggle with the complications of long-distance intimacy.

Star of Powerful Owl Rärriwuy Hick said: “I’ve played many amazing roles in my career – but none of them showed a side of me where I could be completely vulnerable, sensitive and gentle. And I get to play a lawyer by day, and sexy at night. I wanted that challenge. It scared me. It’s been a while since I’ve had a script come to me that I felt nervous about. It was when I got that feeling reading the script that I knew I needed to do this.”

Walking Gambit is a story of two men who meet at a beat, while in Imperfect Paw Paw an overworked marketing executive indulges in an unpredictable night of wild, erotic hedonism.

Come As You Are explores how boundaries can be respected within BDSM, and in Masc Up, a New Year’s Eve tradition is turned upside down by someone who can’t orgasm.

Erotic Stories portrays a refreshingly honest view of lust and desire. At its core, it is an uplifting series about our need for physical and emotional connection. It takes us into worlds where we see that intimacy is both personal and universal.

SBS Head of Scripted, Julie Eckersley, says: “I don’t think I have ever made a show there has been so much anticipation about. Erotic Stories is everything that the title promises and delivers on the delightfully cheeky claim we made to audiences of ‘bringing sexy back’ to SBS. It takes you into new worlds and points of view, as all the best dramas do and is going to have audiences glued to their screens.”

Series Producer and Lingo Pictures Managing Director Helen Bowden, says: “Our series does exactly what it says on the tin – tells Erotic Stories. They are sensual, honest and full of positive human connections. They are funny, surprising, twisty and humane. And hopefully they’ll be a turn on for everyone! The eight stories are set in completely different worlds, each with a fresh cast, and each telling a new story. It’s a chance for the audiences to watch a sexy story in a snackable way – and I think once they snack one, they’ll want to snack the rest!”

Screen Australia Head of Content, Grainne Brunsdon, says: “Erotic Stories is a boldly stimulating series that embraces the essence of desire, intimacy, and sex in a refreshingly diverse way. Lingo Pictures has crafted this timely show that reminds us that these themes are both deeply personal and universally resonant. With a talented writing team and a brilliant cast, audiences can anticipate uplifting and authentic stories with wide appeal.”

Erotic Stories is produced by Lingo Pictures, part of ITV Studios, for SBS with major production investment from Screen Australia in association with SBS. Financed with support from Screen NSW. Produced in association with and distributed internationally by ITV Studios.

Erotic Stories will be available to stream on SBS On Demand with subtitles in five languages: Simplified Chinese, Arabic, Vietnamese, Traditional Chinese and Korean and Vietnamese. The series will also be available with audio description for blind and low vision audiences.

Erotic Stories will also be supported by the SBS Audio series Erotic Stories: The Podcast, which amplifies the themes of each episode through real life stories, unfiltered conversations, and behind the scenes titbits.

1 Like

Kate Box features in Sunday Life magazine today.

Hong Kong’s Now TV and New Zealand’s Rialto Channel have bought the show from distributor ITV Studios.