Early Evening Game shows

Were early evening game shows more popular in the 90s and 00s compared to the 10s.

Some of the classics include Family Feud, Wheel of Fortune, Catch Phrase, The Price is Right, Deal or No Deal, Million Dollar Minute, Sale of the Century/Temptation and Hot Seat

What were your favourites?

My favourite was Wheel of Fortune hosted by John Burgess

3 Likes

As well as this, SBS also had Letters and Numbers in 2010 right through to 2012.
Nine also had short lived game show Pass the Buck being hosted by John Burgess in 2002, but was cancelled after several weeks due to low ratings.

1 Like

Family Feud and Wheel of Fortune were top viewing back in the 90s!

1 Like

Nine had The Price is Right back in 1993 right through to October 1998 with Larry Emdur as host and Shawn Cosgrove as the announcer of “COME ON DOWN!”. In June 2003, the show was revived with the same host and the same announcer, but with a different set. In 2004, Nine also introduced a Showcase vs the money incentives. The last new episode of The Price is Right ended on Nine on 24 November 2005 and Larry Emdur left Nine to head off to Seven to host Wheel of Fortune in 2006. Larry Emdur appeared on two TV networks simultaneously (Wheel of Fortune on 7, rpt of The Price is Right on Nine but with a new on-air look PRG). In 2006, the Seven Network axed the long-time game show after 25 years (except 2005 where this was put on hiatus). Following the axing of Wheel of Fortune, Seven aired 20 unaired episodes from 2005 with Steve Oemcke as host.

3 Likes

Eh, might as well make another mention of Supermarket Sweep. :joy:

2 Likes

Remember that terrible battle of the sexes show on ten? 6pm weeknights from memory. Was so tacky.

1 Like

Then after a long hiatus, Larry decided in 2012 to host The Price is Right…again.

1 Like

Technically Supermarket Sweep was a daytime game show. It was scheduled at 3.30pm on metro stations for most of its run but did play out later in the afternoon on some regionals, making way for local childrens’ programming.

2 Likes

The terrible Big W version

2 Likes

When it first began, me and my brother would watch Sale Of The Century on the spare room TV after dinner while dad would watch Willesee or ABC News on the lounge room TV.

9-year-old me also liked Catch Us If You Can on Channel 7 in early 1981 but it was a very short-lived show. According to Wikipedia it only lasted 30 episodes which is probably about right.

YouTube: Johnson9493

2 Likes

Seven’s answer to their 6pm woes when they couldn’t get ahead of Eyewitness News and The Young Doctors. Appeal to the audience’s greed.

Catch Us If You Can was an Australian concept devised by a former Grundy executive. A one hour pilot was made for Nine, they aired it, it won its slot but they’d let the option on a series lapse so Seven swooped in and picked it up. Seven claimed they’d be giving away more prizes than Sale of the Century each week. They gave away a car each week as part of treasure hunt and there were Double Dare like games with contestants swimming in custard. My favourite was the money machine.

Someone at Nine must’ve been pretty relieved when this failed and left the airwaves fairly quickly.

3 Likes

So a predecessor to Double Dare then?

I used to love that show but it was on when I was in primary school so maybe I didn’t realise back then how bad it was.

Here a couple of afternoon game shows that I don’t think lasted very long in the late 90s / early 2000s but I still enjoyed them (I would’ve been in primary school / late high school so maybe also thought these were better than they actually were)

Pass the buck

Hot Streak

Pass the Buck was a short lived game show which was axed after a few weeks on air

Pass the Buck was part of Nine’s string of failed game shows along with Shafted and Fear Factor.

Hot Streak aired in 1998 on Seven, but wasn’t renewed after its first season.

3 Likes

The Price is right gameplay from 2004 with the $500,000 mega showcase on offer. The contestant can either take the showcase or a cash offer.

That’s how I remember it. 4:30pm or 5pm at around '94? Didn’t realise it was originally a 3.30pm show!

1 Like

A long time ago, when I was in the airport waiting for my dad, I watched Wheel of Fortune with Steve Oemcke as host. In the 4th round, the host spun up the wheel and landed on $2500!. The clue was a Place. One contestant had a value worth over $20 000! Incredible. That contestant solved the puzzle, Melbourne Cricket Ground. I would have thought that was the highest value in Wheel of Fortune’s history. It would be nice to see an episode of players earning more than $10 000 on a night.

1 Like

Family Feud (2006-07) aka Bert’s Family Feud had a top prize of $100,000 during its brief run. Bert Newton was poached from 10 to 9 to host a version of Family Feud.

1 Like