DRM - Is this the future of Regional and Remote Broadcasting?

Fantastic research again @ron12

Interesting that Russia hasn’t deployed DRM or in typical Ruski pride, developed their own digital concept.

I hope to god they don’t agree with it especially for AM, it will make the AM band full of wide band noise and especially jam up the band for any hope of DXing

6 Likes

IIRC WorldSpace was also receivable in the Kimberley.

1 Like

If the government was to specially fund the ABC to have some high powered DRM transmitters, and the car industry was happy to make Australia-only spec car entertainment units (as no country has both DAB and DRM receivers in their cars), then the technology would have some chance in Australia.

Once the receivers were in cars, there would be a number of organisations interested in broadcasting. Not necessarily a lot of mainstream entertainment broadcasters, but organisations none-the-less. Think people like Vision Christian Radio, SEN, LPONers and the remote commercial broadcasters.

Another plausible scenario would be for the ABC to replace their defunct domestic SW service with a similar DRM one. Some people in remote areas, on sea-going boats and in caravans would buy specialty receivers. VAST-radio-on-the-move. But it would have to have a wider audience/be much cheaper to operate than the old SW service.

A third option would be to do as NZ as done, and have a single transmitter with Radio Australia on it, intended for international consumption.

2 Likes

the problem is getting the Australia specific tech out there, and in large enough numbers to make broadcasting worthwhile. The cost of the receiver could be more than the value of some of the paddock bashers the farmers use. on top of that there’s not just cars - there’s harvesters, tractors, long distance trucks and even in home.

I feel like a better option is to piggy back off existing tech from overseas.

VAST radio is a great idea. lets use Satellite radio to distribute instead - like Sirius XM in the USA. Sirius sell a unit that transfers between the home and car for $190 (with no sub required to purchase at that price)

The government could, for remote users subsidise the price and non abc outlets like Vision, SEN and the various aboriginal focused broadcasters could pay for access

2 Likes

When will we have Answers on Launching DRM in Australia?

Unfortunately, wouldn’t be holding my breath. I still think it seems the answer to Regional Digital Radio, spectrum efficient Using existing frequency and bandwidth, cost efficient no 3rd party licensing, no MUX fees, most of existing infrastructure can be used, chip sets with DRM standard in cars now across many European Countries. Especially useful for ABC AM services. Here, I rely on 621 Khz from Melbourne, and it’s reception is shocking. When ABC ran R.N on DRM from their 747Khz TX in Wangaratta, at last, I could listen to it with FM quality and it did not require ABC to need extra channels or bandwidth etc. Just one example of how beneficial DRM would be in Regional Aust. Just my two bobs worth. I know there are lots of fors and against’s for DRM and both sides have merits.

3 Likes

Many more fors

1 Like

Actually the L-Band satellite trials were undertaken by the Communications Laboratory (a research/technical laboratory in the then Department of Communications Information Technology and the Arts) using the Australian Optus B3 spacecraft.

A series of terrestrial L-Band trials/demonstrations were also undertaken by the laboratory in the mid to late nineties. One trial involving three transmitters operating as a single frequency network achieved mobile (outdoor) coverage of most areas of Canberra.

3 Likes