Driving & Traffic

Good to see Adelaide is finally getting an internal motorway… It is most unusual for a city of over 1 million to not have one.

3 Likes

The internal motorway had been in the works for more than 15 years. A shame it is built as an internal bypass rather than a direct motorway to Adelaide CBD, and doesn’t have a direct link to the airport or the South Eastern Freeway either.

4 Likes

It’s a great project for Adelaide and well overdue, but $15 billion dollars? Wowza!!

2 Likes

It’s about time! Driving from one end from Adelaide to the other was a painful one. :joy:

I think Adelaide’s unique where it doesn’t really need a direct motorway to the CBD because the A2/M2 is so close to the CBD anyway.

2 Likes

The last place I lived at in Adelaide was just off one of the more congested parts of South Road that is yet to be bypassed, this is welcome news

4 Likes
2 Likes

The NSW government accepted on Wednesday a Transurban-led consortium’s unsolicited proposal to widen 23 kilometres of the motorway from two to three lanes in both directions between Prestons and Oakhurst, as well as building an interchange between the M7 and the new M12 motorway.

1 Like

haven’t been here for… a while

Google Australia have forcibly edited their traffic layer at the “West Gate Bridge” location in Melbourne within Maps at request by VicRoads, after it was advising drivers’ routes of only 20 or 30min delays, when in fact VicRoads’ system showed the delays were actually in excess of 3 hours yesterday afternoon, with 5 outbound carriageway lanes down to 1 for annual roadworks during the quietest week of the year. Been in the news cycle the past 24 hours. It’s reportedly the busiest section of road in Australia.

How could something like this be so incorrect. I’d be bloody furious too, always found Google’s traffic layer highly accurate and incredibly useful, often at late notice too.

This is regardless of the heavy advanced warnings from the government in the weeks leading up.

4 Likes

A 3 hour delay for roadworks?

That sounds impossible.

4 Likes

I had to head that way today and even the detour took me about 30 minutes more than the usual trip. I’d believe it that going over the bridge would be over an hour, and if there’s lots trying it’d be closer to two. Traffic looked to be at a standstill when I glanced over.

It’s “live” - so if people listen to the public communications and avoid it, then that in turn makes it ‘clear’ of traffic, and then if the app starts recommending it as the fastest, by the time people start going that way, then there’s a lag before it starts being congested enough for it to stop being the ‘fastest’ route.

By that point it’s too late and hundreds of cars would have routed onto the bridge.

The biggest problem for me is that the Google Maps app is a pain when you manually select a different route - it constantly wants to reroute you onto the “fastest” - even if you tap on the alternate route at the start, it will often just announce “we found this faster route, tap the screen to not take it”. So even if you knew the bridge was down to one lane, it’d keep trying to send you that way, unless you knew the detour well enough to avoid it.

5 Likes

The Victorian Government announced late this afternoon that the four outbound lanes on West Gate Bridge would reopen tonight at 9pm, with maintenance works completed ahead of schedule.

3 Likes

That’s a good point.

1 Like

Toyota HiLux tops the sales charts for seventh consecutive year

The annual automotive sales figures have been released and our obsession with US-style pick-ups shows no signs of abating, despite increased EV sales.

2 Likes
2 Likes
2 Likes

M4-M8 Link opens on Friday at 3am

1 Like

Construction channel the B1M just uploaded this video about the Western Harbour Tunnel

4 Likes

The tunnel was officially opened by NSW Premier Dominic Perrottet this morning.
https://twitter.com/westconnex/status/1615864207324639232

1 Like
2 Likes

We so need these in the Clem7 tunnel in Brisbane. Cars just drop in speed on the uphill stretch without them seeming to be aware. Usually they drop to 60kmh from 80kmh for no reason other than they’re not keeping track.

1 Like