Driving & Traffic

2 Likes

The NSW government should use toll proceeds from Sydney Harbour Tunnel to help pay for the huge construction cost of Western Harbour Tunnel.

2 Likes
1 Like

1 Like
1 Like

Speaking of Lithgow, I was driving from Sydney to Bathurst a few weeks ago visiting from WA. Gee that road is very windy and slow. I suspect there was more traffic given Bells Line from Windsor was closed due to the severe weather. Has there been discussions of a faster connection between Penrith and the Blue Mountains?

The Kuranda Range in North QLD would be a similar setup, but a bit shorter. There’s been talk of a tunnel through the range since Adam was a boy.

1 Like

The NSW Government has committed to build a road tunnel in the Blue Mountains region, but no mention about a second road between Penrith and Blue Mountains.

3 Likes

Yep, traffic through the Blue Mountains is shocking. I call it the ‘Great Western Parking Lot’ and joke that it takes longer to traverse the mountains now than when Blaxland, Wentworth and Lawson (and those before them) crossed.

The GWH is not too bad once you get past Lithgow (the road was improved here in the 1990s). I don’t really have to use that road now; the drive to the Central Tablelands from the Canberra region is awesome by comparison, passing through the Oberon Plateau or Abercrombie Caves.

As an aside, glad to see you’ve completed the set. Perth has the Great Northern, Great Southern and Great Eastern highways.

3 Likes
1 Like

Imagine being in a traffic jam overnight for 7 hours.

3 Likes

Leaving drivers stranded for seven hours is totally unacceptable. Queensland Police and the motorway operator should apologise to the drivers and review their emergency procedures.

Are there emergency access between the carriageways along Logan Motorway? If the answer is yes, then these drivers would have been able to be diverted to the westbound carriageway and leave at the nearest motorway exit.

5 Likes

I agree. It’s a complete joke. However it doesn’t surprise me. I live in SEQ and have lived in other states, and I have to say the way the police and emergency services handle incidents on major motorways in SEQ is astoundingly bad. They leave these major arterials closed for hours while they investigate the accident. Long after the injured are taken to hospital they spend hours pontificating and photographing the incident instead of prioritising clearing and re-opening the road. It’s totally unacceptable. Once the injured are off the scene the priority should be to re-open the road as soon as humanly possible. People are often stuck for hours in the scorching heat while they faff about. It’s completely unacceptable people were stuck in cars overnight in the middle of winter. Just clear the cars and open the damn road.

2 Likes
3 Likes

The double whammy of going back to full excise and the potential end of U91 is going to reflect very poorly on Labor.

The other, unspoken problem with EVs is that global car manufacturers have far less of an appetite to produce and sell them in right hand drive markets, and the big Japanese brands like Toyota that dominate the Australian vehicle market still aren’t really interested in EVs.

1 Like

I thought Toyota had an EV coming out soon?

2 Likes

They have an EV that they’ve collaborated with Suburu on (Toyota bZ4X / Suburu Solterra), which has significantly reduced range and features compared to others on the market.

3 Likes

What about UK? If they dont make right hand drive EVs they’ll be selling zero cars there from 2030.

Also Toyota’s first global electric car comes out next year.

2 Likes

There are a few things that are going to work against EVs (at least in the short term) in Australia

• We’ve left our run so late that many manufacturers simply aren’t interested in trying here, they know they can sell EVs in a lot of other markets without much issue. There is also no incentive to sell EVs here because our fuel and emission standards are so lax the manufacturers aren’t having to meet mandated targets.
  • Our desire and need for greater range has (and will) turn people off or make them wait - this is an area where there needs to be better education around expectation and reality - while many of us would like vehicles with a much greater range, the real need for them is probably not as great, most people’s driving requirements are satisfied by the EV range that currently exists
  • The types of vehicles that we tend to buy haven’t gone EV yet - utes in particular - but I suspect we’re on the cusp of seeing some come to market real soon

Cost is starting to become less of a barrier to entry for EV or PHEV (although I’m not sure that the MG EV is a great buy) - we’re also seeing electric vehicles that are less like the Tesla (thats trying to reinvent what it is to drive) and more “traditional” but with the modern gadgets that people are starting to expect.

7 Likes

As a VW fan it’s been frustrating to watch and wait, and wait, and wait for them to even consoder releasing an EV.

I hope Honda do more EVs. Theyre pretty much the only other brand I’d be interested in buying from.

3 Likes

Add to that…

• Inferior charging infrastructure
  • Impractical recharging times for the distances we travel
  • Our reliance on coal somewhat means (to a degree) we are just moving emissions from exhaust pipes in our cars to exhaust stacks at power stations.
1 Like