Digital TV Technical Discussion

There often isn’t consistency across the 3 networks when it comes to LCN names.

1 Like

Indeed WIN was that literally - as in the channel was at one point just “Latrobe Valley” and no reference to WIN or anything in the title.

6 Likes

Another detailed dive from Gough Lui this time Darwin

1 Like

First Nations TV in MPEG-4 720p?!

1 Like

and nearly 7Mb/s - has to be the most over specced service on DVB-T

DDT HD has turned up the bitrate too

2 Likes

6Mb/s+ for 7HD too. Would have to be the best looking 7 and 10 channels in the country!

1 Like
3 Likes

Goddamn that’s some old footage they’re showcasing

1 Like

The 7 Regional QLD multiplex at the moment with 7Two now just a slide - average MBps over 4 hours.

7HD 5.1 Mpeg 2
7Two 1.1 Mpeg 2
7TwoHD 5.4 Mpeg 4
7MAteHD 5.6 Mpeg 4
7Flix 2.4 Mpeg 2
Racing 2.2 Mpeg 4
3 Likes

Why do they bother with MPEG2 and MPEG4 versions of 7TWO?
Why not make it MPEG2 only like with 7?

If anything, they should be doing the MP2/4 simulcasts for the main channel, not 7TWO.

7Two is just a placeholder slide and will disappear.

3 Likes

Ah thanks, I misunderstood that 7TWO wasn’t actually a simulcast anymore.

1 Like

But you do raise a good point. I understand that opting for a primary MPEG-2 1440x1080 HD service in the beginning was due to technical limitations. But since then they’ve launched 7mate and 7two in proper HD with simulcasts. You’d think they would have swapped over to a 7 and 7HD simulcast in the meantime like the rest of their network, and left the experimental MPEG-2 service for 7two or 7mate instead

7TWO in HD?

Three HD stations for regional QLD is good for 7, as I don’t think this is available in the metros, 7TWO is only in SD.

1 Like

It’ll be interesting to see if all commercial networks, ABC and SBS drop SD feeds of their channels ands just broadcast in HD in the future

1 Like

That is the question, although you would have to think Seven Queensland are being used as a test market prior to any changes with their metro stations, not to mention their recently acquired Prime stations.

I would imagine there is equipment that has to be upgraded to make this happen, for each feed being converted into MPEG4, although that might no longer be the case these days like it once was, with NPC playout. My understanding of the process drops off a cliff here.

4 Likes

A change from MPEG-2 to MPEG-4 would really only require a software licence to activate these days. Sometimes a hardware module needs to be installed, but that’s usually older encoders.

2 Likes

Can Coonabarabran receive digital tv from Mt Dowe?

1 Like

There’s a slim chance, I reckon you’d need a tall mast and high gain antenna to have a chance.

2 Likes

Yeah I didn’t know until recently they were apart of the Southern NSW tv licence i always thought it was Northern NSW seeing how close it is to Narrabri and Gunnedah

1 Like