Digital TV Technical Discussion

Happens every time we go in/out of daylight saving. It can take a day or two to resolve itself. I don’t know why, and I don’t think it’s unique to SBS, but it always does.

1 Like

So SBS is going to add another free to air channel in May. How on earth can they squash another channel in the mux when they’re already running 3xHDs and 3xSDs plus radio. World Movies looks pretty bad for an HD channel at the moment, so let’s hope it won’t be even worse.

Unless they might become the first network to drop the SD simulcast of the main channel.

5 Likes

They will most likely go MPEG4-only for all their multichannels. Food is currently in MPEG2 SD so converting it to MPEG4SD alongside World News in MPEG4SD is nearly equivalent to a single MPEG2 SD channel.

7 Likes

NITV is MPEG 2 as well.

1 Like

No brainer to go MPEG4 for all multis then.

3 Likes

This is the current bitrate in Brisbane (averaged over 4 hours) in Mbps (vision + audio)

SBS ONE MPEG2 2.924
Food MPEG2 2.54
NITV MPEG2 2.57
SBS HD MPEG4 4.69
Viceland MPEG4 4.35
World Movies MPEG4 3.05

The 11 radio channels are all 146.62 Kbps.

5 Likes

Sure it’s not just an upscaled movie? I watched it the other night and it was fine.

4 are simulcasts so really it’s just 7 services.

2 Likes

That’s a terrible bitrate for World Movies. I agree that sometimes it looks okay.

Wouldn’t consider NITV as a ‘multichannel’ - like SBS it should be widely accessible by being MPEG-2.

Actions for me to squeeze in the World News channel would be to lower the SBS SD bitrate and horizontal resolution - anyone who cares about picture quality will watch in HD, and then move SBS Food to MPEG-4 SD. Both those should be enough - especially for news content that won’t need much bits.

In Melbourne at least PopAsia are PopDesi are in AAC at 80kbps - while the rest are MPEG-2 Layer 1 audio at 128kbps (both have some overheads for the non round numbers in the TS recording).

I assume they’ve done it this way to ensure access to the core services.

Wonder when we’ll see movement on 7Two HD expanding?

2 Likes

Checking out a Travel Guides preview where they are on houseboats. Noticed that they all seem to have fixed TV antennas of various types. Surprised they don’t use more omni directional ones designed for boats and caravans etc. Since they will always be receiving the same channels (Renmark) they can focus on the correct channel combo (band IV) but I would have thought that part of the time the antenna would be directed backwards. One houseboat looked like it had 2 back to back phased arrays though.

On the Youtube channel you can see all of the boats.

7 Likes

I not quite sure if this is the right thread but this keeps coming up on the top of the TV does anyone know how to get rid of it? My Mum pressed the wrong button. The Model of the TV Bravia HX8 2011.

1 Like

Look in the menus for something called Shop Mode or Demo Mode. It’s the mode for when it’s at the store to show all the specs that it has.

4 Likes

That 3D logo brings back the memories haha.

2 Likes

How to Exit Demo Mode on a Sony TV

1. Press the “Home” button on the supplied remote.
  2. On the screen, select “Settings.”
  3. Then complete the on-screen steps, depending on your TV: Choose “Device Preferences,” “Retail mode settings,” then set “Demo mode” and “Picture reset mode” options to “Off”; or.

Or Google “How to Exit Demo Mode on a Sony TV” and check some of the other solutions.

5 Likes

Update SBS multiplex

Before Today
SBS ONE MPEG2 2.92 2.53
Food MPEG2 2.54 2.74
NITV MPEG2 2.57 2.38
SBS HD MPEG4 4.69 3.26
Viceland MPEG4 4.35 3.23
World Movies MPEG4 3.05 4.26
WorldWatch MPEG4 1.53
6 Likes

Would be good to see them make NITV and Food both MPEG4 for greater bandwidth between all the channels.

5 Likes

That’s really crunching SBS HD and Viceland. Not good.

1 Like

ABC TV channels are off air tonight

2 Likes

Seems to have been nationwide, and everything. Terrestrial, satellite, streaming, even Australia+

Back now.

2 Likes

So that’s what that switch turns off

I better label it appropriately

11 Likes