Digital TV Technical Discussion

I believe it would be much cheaper. Instead of maintaining lots of transmitters, they just need to pay for equipment space in Belrose and the bandwidth on the satellite.

It would go on the existing Aurora Digital platform, as far as I know.

People wont bother to changeover (and for all sorts of reasons) especially given that you can stream basically the same services (+ more)

1 Like

Does the existing Aurora Digital have capacity?

Anyway, you just canā€™t ignore that such a change would render every TV tuner in regional Australia as useless. It would cost households hundreds of dollars to just watch FTA. It would kill regional FTA for good.

2 Likes

Not sure what their current capacity is, though I do think thereā€™s enough to do this. They just need to allocate more room for VAST and and less for narrowcasters and other services on there.

But, yes, I agree, it would kill FTA regionally, unless the government does some sort of switchover subsidy program like with the digital switchover. It wouldnā€™t be something thatā€™s short term, but rather long term.

IIRC the number of new VAST installations per month is around 2000 homes. Not kidding. It used to be much higher.

2 Likes

Some public television stations in the US are doing datacasting trials. Using the stationā€™s ATSC digital transmission schools are sending files to students who otherwise donā€™t have internet access.

The pilot project in South Carolina:

3 Likes

What? Actual datacasting and not infomercials?

2 Likes

Plans to extend to iView.

2 Likes

The importance of the correct antenna set up cannot be underestimated with digital.

Iā€™m staying at an apartment hotel in Port Macquarie tonight. Whilst there are no problems with the main Middle Brother signals, the Coffs Harbour signals cannot be received (even though Myswitch suggests they are ā€œvery goodā€ here). A manual tune effort on the telly shows 38% strength, but only 1% quality. The hotel is fairly new, so likely only has vertical VHF antenna, but Coffs requires horizontal UHF.

2 Likes

Just out of interest, is there really that much difference in content with the Middle Brother & Mt Moombil DVB-T services? Obviously thereā€™d be different local ads during the breaks but aside from that, I wouldā€™ve assumed that the programming and news was pretty much exactly the same in both markets.

If you were on the border of the Mt Nardi & Mt Moombil viewing areas further up North (where thereā€™s at least the opportunity of seeing different local news content on NBN & WIN)ā€¦or maybe somewhere around Port Stephens or Bulahdelah which have a shot at receiving both Newcastle & Mid North Coast channels with their very different approaches to local news - that would be a different story.

Perhaps the MATV system only amplifies the local channels.

2 Likes

You have it pretty much spot on there - ads are the only difference Iā€™ve ever seen between Moombil and Middle Brother - News is the same on Prime7 and 9NBN, not sure about WIN though.

Edit: WIN News update just aired in Port Macquarie- it had ā€œCoffs And Mid Northā€ text in the bottom right corner, so thatā€™s the same on Moombil and Middle Brother too.

Northern Rivers have different local news on 9NBN and WIN, in the old days some AFL and rugby league programming would be different, but not anymore,

Port Stephens to Seal Rocks, maybe up towards Forster is probably the only location where you have some sort of chance of getting both Newcastle and Mid North Coast signals,

Further up, Yamba to Evans Head is similarly probably the only location where you could get both Mid North and Northern Rivers versions,

2 Likes

This is good as any place for this, but someone can more if more appropriate elsewhere?

Itā€™s not radio but is being discussed in Facebook Radio Green Room, that last night (Friday evening) a WIN Ident went to air on TEN Melbourne.

With co-joined playout everywhere now, & shared production in most places, this may happen more now than ever before.

It seems like someone in production has put the wrong code/filename on the file, so it went to the wrong place, probably a TEN Ident will, or has been played out on WIN somewhere?

So when your discussing ads, promos, etc. being played in different markets or a 7, 9 or 10 ID/promo on a regional network, it may or may not be done on purpose?

It seems more likely thereā€™ll be a mistake on a regional network, than Metro, as this instance is a rarity (& very noticeable), but it may become a more common occurrence unfortunately.

6 Likes

Possibly caused because 10 make most of WINā€™s program promos, so they would have them in their file system.

7 Likes
6 Likes

10 seems to have some sort of issues with closed captions this week. On HYBPA on Monday, captions didnā€™t appear in two segments of the show. Tonight, the captions did not appear until around 16 minutes into The Bachelorette finale.

2 Likes

Hereā€™s what the DVB-T signals look like on my spectrum analyser. Iā€™ve annotated the readouts with various information.

VHF:

UHF:

Sydney South West is very weak for me as my UHF aerial is pointed towards Knights Hill so itā€™s coming in from the side of the aerial. The Kings Cross signals are also coming in from the side of the aerial (I also have a combination VHF/UHF pointing towards Artarmon).

12 Likes

Nicely done!

I like those graphics.

Did you have to create the labels?

As I note 11 (ABC) and 12 (TEN) are the wrong way around.

3 Likes

Thanks. Iā€™ve fixed the order of ABC/TEN.

Yes, I did the block/channel number/channel name graphics manually.

3 Likes

How much does the Hills DY-14 typically cost? Tempted to purchase one for experimental purposes

2 Likes

Not sure on the price for that but I saw quite a few of them in Coniston today, perched up quite high on rooftops might I add. What do you think the gain would be on something like that?

1 Like