Digital TV Technical Discussion

Maybe they’re keeping a LCN spare (point to 10 SD for now) for a future channel, so they can avoid another reshuffle down the line.

1 Like

Presuming that 15 Spree TV is remaining on-air (as shifting TVSN to 16 would suggest is likely to be the case), I wouldn’t rule out the possibility of a 2nd HD channel being introduced to LCN-14 on the Network Ten multiplex.

Less likely but still possible, LCN-14 being used as a Ten HD redirect.

2 Likes

Mew multiples line up for 10 with Mbps for last 30 minutes

10 HD and 10 Shake are MPEG 4

LCN CH Mbps
1 10HD 4.99
10 10 3.15
11 10 Peach 4.58
12 10 Bold 2.97
13 10 Shake 2.13
16 TVSN 2
17 Spree TV 1.91
5 Likes

I’ve just rescanned my Topfield box manually (ie. just the 10 multiplex on VHF-11) in Sydney, and for some reason, 10 Shake is not on LCN 13, but is instead slotted somewhere on the 1000s. :flushed:

1 Like

Looking at the ASI input streams to the Transmitters it looks like TVSN & SpreeTV are MPEG 4 now, as well as 10HD & 10 Shake?

If correct that makes TEN’s mux the same as WIN’s now (except no Shake on WIN,) who have WINHD, SKY News on WIN, TVSN & GOLD all in MPEG4.

3 Likes

Yep, Spree/TVSN/Shake are SD MPEG4 and 10 HD in HD MPEG4.

2 Likes

Will also mean Spree TV will have to update their logo since it had the number 15 in it previously. Haven’t checked yet today if that has happened.

1 Like

I came up with a solution to fix my problem, by deleting all of 10’s channels from my box & then rescan. It worked, with 10 Shake now on its correct LCN number of 13. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

The gap for Channels 14 and 15 would imply that these reserved for future use… or am I just getting a little ahead of myself?

4 Likes

15 is a 10HD redirect but 14 is free.

2 Likes

No change to Spree w/m

5 Likes

Can you think of why they would have a redirect on 15? Does it take up any extra bandwidth?

I wonder why they moved Spree, perhaps so that it was after TVSN which is probably the more popular shopping channel. Also probably future planning?

2 Likes

Redirection doesn’t take up any bandwidth. It would be to create of suite of consecutive channel numbers 10 - 17 for people who use the up and down buttons on the remote.

With Ch 14 vacant we clearly need a new topic on Media Spy for “10’s 4th multichannel:slight_smile:

7 Likes

14 could be a promo loop for Paramount+ programming? :man_shrugging:t3:

2 Likes

You must have the same (or very similar) Topfield set top box - this also happened on my end.

Surprised that it was decided that TVSN & Spree TV should become MPEG4 channels. I probably would’ve expected them to slash the bitrate of Ten HD in half so they could fit in six MPEG2 SD channels!

1 Like

I have the TBF-200HD that I bought from JB Hi-Fi back in April 2016, as my bedroom TV is not MPEG-4 compatible (all other TVs in my house, plus my USB TV tuner, is MPEG-4 compatible). I assume you have the same model? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yep, that’s the one! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Great to see Ten putting 10HD on channel 1. Maybe one day they’ll all use their single digit spots for the HD channel. We know how reluctant people are to press two buttons!

Also good that Shake is in MPEG4. The last thing we should be doing is allowing more MPEG2 stuff on the air. Given the younger audience base, there are probably fewer TVs out there among them that cannot see MPEG4 channels.

4 Likes

Same thing happened to me.

A manual scan put 10Shake on 350, left 10Bold on 1, 10HD on 13, but moved TVSN to 16 and Spree to 17.

Only a full rescan resolved that.

Spree watermark still has 15 in it though.
Wonder how long it’s going to stay like that for.

Just did a rescan, TVSN and Spree haven’t moved for me.

1 Like