Digital TV Technical Discussion

My suggestion is 7Horses.

Also I think HEVC would probably come with DVB-T2 and/or 4k. Major hurdle being both licensing it and people being able to receive it.

You can view Department Of Commuications documents on it from 2013 here - Plans relating to transition to DVB-T2 and MPEG-4 - a Freedom of Information request to Department of Communications and the Arts - Right to Know

1 Like

My name suggestion is 7Horse :poop::poop:

Itā€™s the same story in the southern half of the Sunshine Coast, where both 7 Brisbane & 7 Sunshine Coast are available from the Bald Knob transmitter, which is located near Maleny, west of Caloundra.

1 Like

Whatā€™s the issue with the audio on 9HD when recorded?
It sounds very tinny and like I was tuned into a CB channel with the wrong modulation.

It started not long after 9HD came online and goes away intermittently.

Example:

ā€¦and on Nineā€™s SD channels, I think they still have the ā€œbuzzingā€ sound in the background thatā€™s been there since (approximately) Late 2011?

Iā€™ve never heard that before on a actual TV set but I might run a sample of video through Audacity and see if there is any buzz.

From the looks of it, it only happens on Nineā€™s O&O stations running through the main transmitter sites (SFNā€™s would be relayed off air).

I think thatā€™s understating it. Iā€™d say compatibility would be basically zero at the moment.

2 Likes

For on the shelf STBā€™s and TVā€™s.

Add SDRā€™s and TV tuners into the mix and the sky is the limit.

@RFBurns posted above about issues with ducting interfering with feeds to translator sites.

Well I have to say Iā€™m VERY surprised Bouddi would be affected by this, since itā€™s only 35 km from Artarmon.

And I donā€™t think itā€™s good enough for Central Coast viewers, a population of some 300,000 people to mostly be without their preferred commercial TV channels because of this. They deserve to have their TV sites inputted with more reliable signals.

2 Likes

Port Stephens had greater problems then the Central Coast. The Illawarra digital tv channels used to kill the feed from Mt Sugarloaf when they got ducted. I believe they have implemented a new solution that has fixed the problem.

3 Likes

In defence, just about every TV translator site in Australia will be fed off air, from a high power main site (or off air from other translator sites), except for extreme cases.
Itā€™s cost prohibitive to feed them via microwave, fibre or even satellite. Itā€™s cheaper to make the area a blackspot & give the viewers a VAST Service.

The current conditions are extreme & rare.

Bouddi alone, doesnā€™t serve 300,000 viewers either.

Bouddi was an issue because itā€™s a major site (but not main), & there were viewer complaints. Our monitoring said everything was working as normal, & Bouddi never went off air, so we donā€™t know if it was transmitting a pixelated picture from the receiver, or the issue was at the viewers locations?

The current conditions have been unpredictable, weā€™ve had no reception on a top diversity antenna, & good reception on a bottom diversity antenna, 3 meters lower down the tower, at at least one site.

Aside from the Sydney issues, the Port Stephens translator site eventually got upgraded to a microwave feed, but that was an absolute last resort (due to costs involved), after many things were tried, but nothing else worked. It was also effected for long periods of time, multiple times per year, creating a high percentage down time.

Generally speaking, this current sort of ducting & off air feeds issue, would cause less than 1% of down time per year, at most larger, (tiny small population area & the old self help type site are not included), TV translator sites.

I lost my TV reception at Floraville last night, due to Iā€™m guessing Knights Hill (going by posts here about Newcastle TV around Campbelltown), from Mt Sugarloaf (Main site) & also the local translator at Belmont North.
Not much point having the local translator on Block B, when itā€™s fed off air from Mt Sugarloaf on Block C, in a spot that is well known for regular ducting Block C co-channel interference issues from Knights Hill.

The Sydney issues are not Co-Channel ducting issues, they are refracting signals from the main site, not being where they are supposed to be, & where they normally are.

3 Likes

Having issues again with Kurrajong Heights (NW Sydney) in Stanhope Gardens signal and quality went from 100% to 0%, thank god for Netflix!!

May need to put up a 10 element band 3 antenna and get DTV directly from Sydney and use my UHF for Illawarra. Ducting will be worse for Illawarra of course!!

1 Like

Thanks, the 300,000 also included Wyong and Gosford, I assumed they were impacted by the same issue as Bouddi had, though maybe not to the same extent.

I can understand that off air feeds are the most cost effective solution.

Yes, Iā€™ve been losing Sugarloaf on my external TV antenna a bit lately too, though oddly neighbours in my building havenā€™t reported the same issues. But in any case, rabbit ears usually gets Sydney reception perfectly on those occasions. I didnt watch any telly yesterday though.

1 Like

Noticed the TV antennas in these tweets about Royal National Park (as one does)

1 Like

Also cheaper to feed it via IP and use the 7plus and 9Now streams and play them out via CasparCG on Linux for down conversion and addition of HD overlays.

I think that would be problematic given they are on an SFN, the streams would need to be in sync, and buffering could be an issue with IP.

1 Like

Ah. I donā€™t know much about SFNā€™s and how they need to be exact.

The stream would already be out by around 1-2 seconds with the IP transmission but buffering wouldnā€™t be a real big issue if there is a NBN FTTN connection ready to be connected to the site.

I know for a fact that my TvHeadend server which is a TV Server for linux is out by 3-4 seconds from the time it comes off the mux and into the IP system.

Few issues there:

1. How would you propose to get the IP data to the sites for no cost?

2. Why would you use a consumer grade web stream to feed the translator services, when you have available to use at/from the main sites, professional broadcast grade input data?

3. SFNā€™s need to be timed exactly, & all translator site TX data streams include GPS timing via whatā€™s called a MIP PID, if this is missing the SFNā€™s donā€™t work, even though each of the sites has there own GPS clocks. The MIP PID is sent from the Broadcasters as part of their data stream & is transmitted from the main sites as part of the final signal data package. The web streams donā€™t include this vital info as itā€™s not needed to watch a web catchup stream.

4. Most sites are on the top of a mountain without any landline services available (except overhead power lines).
    A few of the translator sites used to have a phone landline (overhead), but every time a storm or bushfire went through the lines would be lost, so they were abandoned, all TX monitoring is via off air back to the main site (if possible) for visual, & monitoring data is sent back to the the main sites via 4G mobile networks.

Quite a few translator sites are in NBN Fixed Wireless areas, so NBN FTTN/FTTC/FTTP will never be available.

If you want to know what a MIP PID is, & how time critical SFNā€™s are? Look at Single Frequency Networks on Wikipedia, it give basic, reasonably easy to understand info. Saves me having to explain it all.

8 Likes

Yeah overhead copper telco lines are a disaster waiting to happen. I got rid of my last one and went to 4G monitoring after a lightning strike destroyed it and it took Telstra 12 weeks to repair it.

3 Likes

Alright a technical request from me!

Iā€™m wondering if a couple of people can help me out. Iā€™ve had a problem with my Fetch box for a couple of months where it gets all channels except for on the WIN multiplex it will only get WIN and ONE. It wonā€™t get Eleven, WIN HD, Gold, WIN Network etcā€¦ I think it changed just after the WIN Network page changed over to the video format they now have.
Iā€™ve been working with Fetch with it and Iā€™ve offered to help their software engineers work with it as Iā€™ve had a replacement box which didnā€™t fix it and I think it seems to be something localised to Tasmania and maybe a couple of other regions. When I was in Harvey Norman replacing the box the other week I asked the guy if heā€™d had any others but he said no but there was a recent issue occurring with one model of Sony TVā€™s from a couple of years ago affecting the same channels on WIN in Tasmania and one region in Victoria which he thought might be Ballarat or Bendigo. Something that Sony have been trying to fix.

Anyway, so what Iā€™m after is any of the technical details that people might be able to provide me for WIN in their areas so I can compare them against Tasmania. I havenā€™t seen @EyewitnessTV around for a bit but Iā€™m hoping he might be able to grab some details for Tassie too (I miss my tuner card :frowning: ) Happy to take some recordings of transport streams or any reports and I can provide an email or hosting area if people want too. Not a huge deal, once the Big Bash is over I rarely watch WIN but one Iā€™m curious about and would like to solve!

1 Like