Digital TV Technical Discussion

Yep! Literally just started when I went to check lol

4 Likes

Due to the restack of Knights Hill and Sugarloaf using the same block of channels.

One of these sites needs to change, and the cascade of changes begins with translator sites on an alternate block needing to swap and suffering the same fate.

If a regional service had been co channeled with a metro service and the metro service suffered, there would’ve been immediate action.

The cosy cartel of Prime, WIN, 9 and SCA don’t seem to have an interest.

I think their hands are tied somewhat since I recall @RFBurns (I think) saying that broadcasters agreed to protect Central Coast over Newcastle when it came to co-channelling (since there are only 5 ‘blocks’ of channels available post restack thanks to the sell off the UHF 52-69 spectrum to telcos for 5G mobile services).

Meaning that Newcastle and Wollongong high power services were stuck on the same ‘block’ (Block C - UHF 35-39, with 34 as the spare).

Yes that’s right, when they were re-stacking the channels, the metro commercial stations over ruled the regionals, & chose to protect the NSW Central Coast over Newcastle, with the Sydney stations getting Block D on the Central Coast, leaving Block E for the Central Coast regional channels.

The regionals were originally pushing to have Newcastle (Mt Sugarloaf) on Block B, but Sydney took Block B for the SFN translator services at Kings Cross & North Head.

2 Likes

Thanks, frustrating and required ministerial intervention.

ALP were in power for the restack? It’s their seats in Hunter and Illawarra regions, they should’ve done better.

2 Likes

Same as Ocean Grove and other areas around Geelong.

The area was stuffed after the restack too even tho it was an ALP seat.

1 Like

How? There is a booster in Highton.

4G Overload and Ducting from Tasmaina, adding to that and there was no campaign to tell people that there was a Transmitter at Highton and to switch if there were issues.
http://www.geelongaustralia.com.au/council/article/item/8ccdc59532c3b08.aspx
http://sarahhenderson.com.au/2015/01/13/various-issues-impair-television-reception-in-corangamite/

"Telstra advises that some people living near mobile base stations may experience reception difficulties following the rollout of its 4GX network due to ‘receiver overload’.

Telstra says that local residents will need to either install a filter or remove an amplifier at their own cost. It advises that residents who experience any issues should speak with a licensed antenna installer or go to the ACMA website for advice."

I went for a walk some months back around the block in Ocean Grove and about 7-10 houses had an Antenna pointing towards Highton / Lookout Hill.

I did speak to some members on here and it seemed that receiving out of area stations are achievable but when I done some analysis on the SDR display, I yielded no results for an antenna pointing towards Mt Dandy.

1 Like

Interested to know what you would expect the DTV signal to look like. Do you have a screen shot of a Melbourne frequency?

Here, coming off Mt Dandy from Inner Melbourne.
SBS

Nine

2 Likes

Thanks. That’s what I was expecting, a wide band with sharp edges, that is otherwise indistinguishable from noise. I think it makes it hard to use the radio to check for the presence of low level signals from a distant transmitter.

A couple of questions about DTV in Tasmania

1. Are the news bulletins on SC and WIN the same throughout the state, or do they have local “windows” for local news, sport or weather for say North (Launceston) and South (Hobart)?

2. Is the advertising the same thoroughout on each of SC, WIN and TDT, or again do they have say a North and South ad feed?

Both SC & WIN’s bulletin is the same throughout the whole state.

SC & WIN’s main channels have separate North & South ad feeds, whilst the whole TDT network (Nine, 9Gem, 9Go!), as well as SC & WIN’s multichannels, have a single ad feed for the whole state.

2 Likes

Yep, as TV-Expert said single bulletin for both WIN and SC and noodle updates for TDT Nine. WIN used to do a separate bulletin for the north and the south when their “Six O’Clock with Penny Tame” bulletin aired but that eventually went back to being a single state wide bulletin and then went back to being a combined local, national and international bulletin before being made an hour again when Nine News went to an hour. The changes since that stage are just too many to remember since Ten affiliation!

It’s still thought of at times by people that Southern Cross is northern-focussed and WIN is southern-focussed due to where they are both filmed however this has improved over the years and they both cover the state fully including the North-West.

As for ads, yep, separate feeds for WIN and SC and TDT Nine and all the multichannels have a statewide feed.

2 Likes

Does Aspire TV exist at all in Tasmania?

Nope, not on TDT Nine or Southern Cross.

Southern Cross:
6 - SC SD
60 - 60 SC HD
61 - SC SD
62 - 7TWO
63 - 7mate
64 - SBN
68 - Racing.com

TDT:
5 - Nine Tasmania
50 - Nine HD
51 - Nine SD
52? - 9Go!
53? - 9Gem

2 Likes

It’s the other way around:

52 - 9Gem
53 - 9Go!

2 Likes

Quality of Imparja and Nine West. Really hope 9HD comes about after renegotiations in 6 months time.

6 Likes

Is there going to be another swap??

Maybe the Nine West picture quality looks ever so slightly better than Imparja’s quality (something to do with the lack of coverup, perhaps?) but both look poor IMO.