Digital TV Technical Discussion

Just did a bitrate test on all FTA channels here in Townsville not too long ago, all using 2 minute samples.

ABC
4.14 Mb/s -> ABC HD [MPEG-4]
3.62 Mb/s -> ABC
4.04 Mb/s -> ABC 2
0.65 Mb/s -> ABC 3 (showing o’night placeholder)
3.77 Mb/s -> ABC News 24
0.12 Mb/s -> Double J
0.12 Mb/s -> ABC Jazz

SBS
2.37 Mb/s -> SBS
2.89 Mb/s -> SBS ONE HD [MPEG-4]
4.10 Mb/s -> SBS VICELAND HD [MPEG-4]
2.14 Mb/s -> SBS VICELAND
3.69 Mb/s -> FOOD NETWORK
3.41 Mb/s -> NITV
0.12 Mb/s -> SBS ARABIC 24
0.12 Mb/s -> SBS RADIO 1
0.12 Mb/s -> SBS RADIO 2

NINE (via SCA)
6.55 Mb/s -> 9HD [MPEG-4]
3.69 Mb/s -> NINE
3.04 Mb/s -> 9GEM
3.73 Mb/s -> 9GO!
2.31 Mb/s -> 9LIFE [MPEG-4]
1.09 Mb/s -> TO BE ADVISED [MPEG-4]
1.16 Mb/s -> ASPIRE [MPEG-4]

SEVEN
3.06 Mb/s -> 7 SD
3.91 Mb/s -> 7 TWO
10.02 Mb/s -> 7 MATE HD
2.99 Mb/s -> 7 FLIX
1.75 Mb/s -> RACING.COM [MPEG-4]

TEN (via WIN)
7.01 Mb/s -> WIN HD [MPEG-4]
3.34 Mb/s -> WIN
3.73 Mb/s -> ONE
2.86 Mb/s -> ELEVEN
1.29 Mb/s -> WIN NETWORK
1.98 Mb/s -> TVSN
1.07 Mb/s -> WIN GOLD [MPEG-4]

3 Likes

Since the transmissions are now stat-muxed, I recorded the Sydney and Illawarra signals simultaneously to provide a more accurate comparison between the different transmitters. Whilst I recorded them at the same time, the broadcasts from the towers are not synched (I think Prime is more than 10 seconds behind 7, as an example), so it’s not a 100% like-for-like comparison, but still gives a good indication. As with NQCQTV2’s comparison, it is based on a two-minute sample of each transmission.

Green cells indicate MPEG-4/H264 for video and AAC/AAC+ for audio. There are 7 MPEG-4/H264 channels in Sydney compared to 12 in the Illawarra.

The WIN Network slide has a ridiculously high audio bitrate for some reason (384 kbps). At the other end, 7 uses AAC+ on Racing.com at only 48 kbps.

Chart:

6 Likes

Interesting to see that Seven Sydney is running the racing channel at a ridiculously high level for an MPEG 4 SD channel as the same is happening in Brisbane - the picture quality however doesn’t reflect the bit allocation.

What a waste of space for SCA’s blank channel and WIN’s placeholder. Even ABC Me on its overnight run is considerably lower. How can WIN Gold, that actually shows content, be taking up less space than WIN’s placeholder?

4 Likes

Endless recycled promos for Crawford’s DVDs, infomercials and very old 4:3 early morning religious programs - it’s pushing it to call that ‘content’! :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

I use the term loosely. As opposed to the placeholder which is just a static image and looped audio, WIN Gold shows something.

1 Like

Yeah, I was very surprised to see how high SCA TBA and WIN Network’s bitrates were.
Especially TBA, which is just a black screen with nothing on it.

I was also shocked at 7mateHD taking up 10 Mb/s, as well as WIN HD using 7 Mb/s when it’s on MPEG4!

2 Likes

I wonder what WIN’s reasoning behind not broadcasting TVSN and the WIN placeholder in MPEG-4 is? It would save on bandwidth which could then be pumped back into the other content channels.

Money

Hi all,

How accurate are the http://myswitch.digitalready.gov.au coverage summaries?

Do you find them pessimistic (ie. cover more than depicted), optimistic (less coverage than shown) or about right?

Keen to read your experiences.

Seems very accurate predictor for my location.

It seems mostly accurate.

Though I noticed down the other side of the hill from where I live it still suggests that Sydney TV reception is possible, but in reality, only if you have a 50ft mast!

One thing it doesn’t take into account is co-channeling. Potentially a moderate signal from two transmitters would cause problems that the site wouldn’t recognise.

1 Like

Though with a directional antenna, you could null out the unwanted signal?

1 Like

Just based on my location and only talking about fringe reception outside the licence area, an unwanted signal on the same frequency can wipe out even a fairly good signal despite a directional antenna. Obviously depends on the relative signal strengths and directions - a 90 degree directional difference would probably be easiest to null but a 180 degree (ie off the back) would be very hard to null.

I’d say the you really have to have green on the map to have reliable reception.

1 Like

Yes that is true.

I have Sydney and Wyong listed as “moderate” (orange) and the reception does pixelate at times - though it’s still very watchable, moreso with Wyong.

With Sydney, Nine and SBS have the best reception, Seven and Ten can be flaky.

Where I am in Sydney, the main Newcastle and Wollongong are at about 180 degrees to each other. I normally get 10/10 signal strength and quality from Wollongong, but when there’s tropo, it can render my Wollongong TV completely unwatchable. Signal strength stays at 10 but quality drops to 0. This is with a highly directional deep fringe yagi antenna.

2 Likes

In Brisbane at the moment.
Found this on the TV in my motel room.

Tried to rescan and they’ve completely disabled any menu or settings options :frowning:

The LCNs still point to the current channels, despite the wrong names (I.e. 90 shows 9HD, 94 shows 9Life).

But there’s no access at all to ABC HD, TEN HD, SBS VICELAND HD, or 9GEM.

2 Likes

It would be a good idea to bring it up with staff, not they they would probably care.

1 Like