Digital TV Technical Discussion

No.

Shouldn’t need one out near Campbelltown… it’s not exactly Sticksville.

2 Likes

Is the bedroom closer to the antenna? (The actual cable run) … the longer the coax the weaker the signal.

There’s also a correlation between temperature and the signal strength from the transmitter… I cant remember which way it goes, but in colder (or hotter?) weather the signal has to work harder to reach you. Which is why it’s probably only happened today.

1 Like

Nine times out of ten it will be the cable - check all terminations, junctions, etc.

If you’re really keen, next time it happens, swap the TV’s over and see if it still exists… it might help isolate the type of fault to the TV, or a nearby interference source… have you bought any new appliances lately? What about the neighbour?

2 Likes

No, I haven’t.

As for the suggestion of swapping the TVs around, that would be impossible for me, as the living room TV is mounted to the wall.

Thanks for the comments on what might have caused the problem. I suspected that it might have something to do with the cable that’s connected to the living room TV.

2 Likes

Moving this discussion to here.

I also had some numbering issues when I did a re-scan of the SBS signal. World Movies showed up as a new channel (rather than just a re-naming of the existing Viceland SD) but because Viceland was already on LCN 32 the receiver ended up putting SBS World Movies at the end of the receiver’s channel list at 400. I had to manually switch it to 32. That happened on a fairly new receiver that usually handles these things very well.

By contrast when 95 changed from the blank screen SD to the HD version of 9Gem it didn’t show up as a new channel and just tuned in automatically.

On all the tuners I tried LCN 32 showed up as a black screen after the change to HD. Only a retune would get World Movies close to working.

2 Likes

On my Panasonic DVR, whilst 9Gem HD did appear on 95 immediately, I had to do a full rescan to get the LCN name updated.

But same as you, 32 was blank and World Movies was on 351 after doing a single channel rescan. But I also had to do a full rescan to get it to appear on 32.

1 Like

32 disappeared for me after they switched, I had to rescan.

2 Likes

I didn’t even need to rescan my TV for both World Movies and that ‘channel 351’ to show up.

1 Like

Pity anyone trying to watch 9Go tonight. With sport on 9, 9HD, 9Gem and 9Gem HD there doesn’t seem to be much left over.

9 4.6
9HD 5.0
9Gem 3.0
9Gem HD 3.39
9Life 2.17
9Go 1.48

I would have thought that some bandwidth from the 2 SD channels that have HD versions could have been spared for 9Go and 9Life.

5 Likes

Well it’s not surprising in some ways with sport on both 9 & 9Gem and in HD as well.

I didn’t think it was possible to run watchable MPEG-2 @ around 1.5 Mbps… but it doesn’t look TOO bad in Sydney.

1 Like

Does the 9Go! picture everywhere have the black vertical bars?

1 Like

All good here.

1 Like

Looks alright here too.

1 Like

It was like this yesterday as well. Tonight comparing the Brisbane picture with the Southern Cross 9 version:

Brisbane:

Southern Cross 9

1 Like

Aside from the aspect problem, they’re so much crisper than WIN’s!

1 Like

Wall to wall Home Shopping across the channels of Seven in Melbourne tonight/Thursday morning. One guesses they’ll be in disaster recovery mode or switching from BCM to NPC?

2-4am (2.30-4am on 7flix) across all channels except Racing.com and Openshop

4 Likes

I don’t know if they still do this but a few years ago (before 7Flix launched), Seven’s early morning disaster recovery mode was done by running an episode of Sons & Daughters across the main channel, 7TWO and 7mate. During this time, the PRG reverted to an older version while the EPG for 7mate reverted to pre-launch status.

Of course we’ll just have to wait and see what happens but I think you might be onto something, especially since it’s the first of the month and it makes sense to switch over during the middle of the night when barely anyone’s watching.

Although with 7Food now using the new PRG/watermark design, I thought the playout of that channel might’ve already switched over to NPC?

From a regional perspective, I guess it’ll also be interesting to see whether Seven Gold Coast is finally made available in HD for the switch to NPC playout. That and whether the other markets of Regional Queensland will get the main channel in SD again with the HD channel in MPEG4.

6 Likes

Recording 7HD, 7Two, Food Network and Flix - let’s see what happens :slight_smile:

4 Likes

And openshop?

1 Like