Digital TV Technical Discussion

AC-3 and mpeg-2 describe the sound. AC-3 support Dolby surround. Still used today.

3 Likes

Anybody remember which year the 7 day EPG came about to replace the now and next only information? It wasn’t until about 2008 or 2008 from memory. My best set top box was the Topfield TF5000 which allowed additional programs to be written for it with the API, some great programs were written for that including one which scraped the 7 day TV guide from Ninemsn and imported it into the STB giving 7 day EPG for recording schedules about 5 years before other brands were able to when the broadcasting started. Other apps allowed full UI customisation and channel logos etc… and little things like a 3 minute ad skip button which was brilliant - ad break starts, press the red button and program is ready straight away again!

1 Like

The lack of EPG information outside of now and next spawned businesses such as IceTV that tried to fill the gap. IIRC 7 day EPG programming came in around the time IceTV won the lawsuit that Nine brought against them relating to “breach of copyright” for providing EPG data independently back in 2009 (bitter irony being that IceTVs sole purpose was always going to be thrown by the wayside as soon as the networks implemented full EPGs).

4 Likes

That’s right, I forgot about IceTV. I think the guy who started that was one of the original Topfield app developers also and it spawned from that original idea for the other brands.

AC3 is Dolby Digital, so it can be either in mono, 2.0 Dolby Surround or up to Dolby Digital EX 5.1, remember back in the day Nine used to play movies in DD-EX especially Harry Potter.

2 Likes

I don’t know what the character limit for LCN names is, but “ABC COMEDY/KIDS” wouldn’t really be that long of an LCN name when you consider that NBN used to have obscenely long ones (which did get cut off on the EPGs of some devices, from memory) like “NBN Digital Mid North Coast” up until around 2014 when the “Digital” was dropped from the LCN name(s) of the main channel.

Of course these days, the style of the LCN names in the non-overlap NBN regions matches those of Nine in metro areas (eg, “Nine Mid North Coast” and “9HD Mid North Coast”) although the NSW Central Coast oddly has “Nine-NBN Central Coast” and “9HD Central Coast”. Wonder how the situation is like up on the Gold Coast…

Apologies for the double post, but the channel name for LCN-22 is now “ABC Comendy/Kids” - yes, the misspelling is real:
ABCLCNs

8 Likes

“You had one job, Mike!”

3 Likes

I commend your effort for spotting that.

This is why dyslexic people shouldn’t work in the EPG department.

Which is why they’re all in the news graphics department.

1 Like

I’m going to write a very stern letter to the ABC.

1 Like

I’ve just noticed that LCN-22 has corrected the spelling of comedy by slightly changing its channel name to “ABCComedy/Kids”.

3 Likes

This article appeared in my local Federal Member (Pat Conroy for Shortland) December newsletter about digital TV reception in the electorate.

I have to agree, after not having much local TV reception in the last 5 days due to ducting issues.

2 Likes

I thought NBN News was available on the VAST news channels?

1 Like

Yes, that part of the article appears to be incorrect.

https://www.mysattv.com.au/NewsServices.aspx

I think they just mean at the more convenient time of 6pm.

Also noticed that none of the Nine regional bulletins are on there.

Maybe the info is out of date?

It is probably is out of date, I’m guessing. Belmont is in suburban Newcastle so there really shouldn’t be reception problems there. That there are and it hasn’t been fixed is presumably the fault of ACMA and the broadcasters.

1 Like

It’s the service itself that’s out of date. Still no Nine News regional bulletins. Only the updates on 410. Screenshot taken just now:

1 Like

Does 409 still have the full Darwin bulletin?

Yep! Literally just started when I went to check lol

4 Likes