Digital TV Technical Discussion

I thought they have now switched it back? With SD on LCN8 again.

3 Likes

Yep. Maybe it will return nationally once Nine affiliation is in place? Though I’m not sure why there would be a need. Nine O&O copes just fine with 2 HD and 6 SD.

5 Likes

I woke up this morning, and for some odd reason all ABC channels have disappeared from my TV. I have auto-tuned twice with no fix.

I live in Sydney. All other TV channels and radio channels are there except ABC channels.

1 Like

Can you access your antenna to check if any connections have come loose, or if it has shifted in the wind a bit?

Assuming your reception is coming from the main site at Artarmon/Gore Hill, it could be that, as ABC is on VHF 12, which can be the most difficult to receive being on the highest VHF frequency.

Check indoor connections too.

1 Like

I wouldn’t think bad or no reception would delete the channels from the box. I think you may have to factory reset it.

Seven and FTA do not support handing back spectrum in exchange for reduced licence fees at the moment.

1 Like

Nice to see yet more rent seeking

2 Likes

They want to keep the spectrum they have AND pay virtually no licence fees.

Looks like there is an outage at the BAI (ABC site at Knights Hill Wollongong affecting all ABC services.

ABC tv, 90.9 News Radio, 95.7 Classic, 97.3 ABC Illawarra and Triple J are all off air.

Commercials tv Prime, Win, SCA9, and radio stations Power, Wave, and i98 are unaffected as they are broadcasted from the Win Tower site. I will also post this in the dx radio thread.

4 Likes

An opportunity for Sydneysiders to catch Prime7 and WIN Newcastle.

1 Like

A post on Twitter indicates that SBS is also down.

4 Likes

SBS and the ABC both come from the same site the BAI site.

4 Likes

Update ABC tv and radio now back on air from Knights Hill Wollongong.

From comments I have read online the outage was caused by a power failure at Knights Hill. It must have been very localised as the Commercial tv and fm stations at the WIN site were unaffected, unless their generators kicked in.

I wonder why the backup power did not kick in at the BAI site if it was as reported a power outage?

2 Likes

The ABC website is a bit behind-

ABC TV & RADIO OUTAGE - ILLAWARRA REGION

Close

The ABC is working to urgently resolve a transmission issue affecting TV and Radio services to the Illawarra. We apologise for the disruption to your service. You can live stream ABC TV at iview.abc.net.au and listen online via the ABC listen app go to help.abc.net.au for further details.

2 Likes

Why is the Gold Coast Multiplex repeating Mount Coot tha and Richmond Tweed signals?

2 Likes

The licence areas for commercial TV for Brisbane and Richmond Tweed both cover the Gold Coast. Results from historically RTN 8 being considered a local Gold Coast station in addition to the Brisbane stations, so when UHF relays were introduced from Mt Tamborine they were for the 5 Brisbane stations plus RTN 8. Then when aggregation happened, that added another 2 stations.

7 Likes

And it’s a similar story on the NSW Central Coast with Sydney TV repeaters alongside Northern NSW regional commercial channels.

4 Likes

One of my TVs EPGs seems to be playing up, tv issue? Transmission site issue? Or network playout issue?
When changing channel and/or clicking channel info button, they’re blank (program title and description), “no information”. Although channel name is still there.
However, when clicking EPG button to expand guide, the listingss then all appear.

Any thoughts?

2 Likes

My loungeroom TV has this issue as well, but no EPG. Change the channel too fast and the TV blanks for 10 seconds, with no information.

4 posts were merged into an existing topic: Sports Broadcasting History