Digital Radio

2CA & 6iX often promote themselves as being available on digital radio.

2 Likes

A little off topic, I listen to 4kq over iheartradio in my car. It is a very different format to wsfm. I think if KIIS was not a success in Sydney you could have 2UW 106.5 FM the same format as 4KQ. A lot more 60s music.

1 Like

FiveAA has been promoting online and digital for years now

2 Likes

Yeah but KQ is rating 9.9% just a whisker behind its four FM competitors in the third biggest market in Australia. For an AM music station nothing really comes close in terms of influence or the potential to promote a large digital radio uptake. IMHO both 2CA and 6IX should be doing a lot better in their respective markets.

4 Likes

I don’t think any commercial FM station in a metro market would play much 60s or 70s music these days. If only Sydney & Melbourne have a commercial AM music station that is sounding close to 4KQ.

That’s a very good point.

I agree.

3 Likes

Yes and I wonder if on FM would they be number one?

I guess they would be, but then they would sound more like WS/Gold to better suit the FM band. 60s/70s is pretty much exclusively for the AM band these days.

2 Likes

Shall Iheart Radio Create an Exclusive iheart 60’s & 70’s Music Station for Sydney & Melbourne?

But 2CH does’nt Play Classic Rock While Classic Rock 1377 does’nt Play Easy Pop Music As Smooth, Easy Hits & MMM Classic Rock & Greatest Hits Digital Sometimes.

What?

1 Like

I cant see the point of FM-DAB station silmicasts. If I was me I would drop them and that would free up bandwidth for more stations. Whats the point of having smooth/nova on both FM and DAB for in the first place?

That’s probably one of the keys to KQ’s success, they play some classic rock and some softer classic hits. Also the fact that Macquarie handed them 4BH’s audience.

They definitely should. BTW 4KQ also play some 80s and even the odd 90s song.

1 Like

I can see your point, but I would personally prefer to see DAB remain as a more holistic offering, rather than just being all secondary stations.

And to be a consistent offering with ALL (and not just some) of the metro wide AM and FM stations on it.

I agree.

When Wesgo took control, the 80/90’s era of ‘Greatest memories, latest hits’, they played lots of 80/90’s music.

Today I was on hold with a business for a brief moment to hear the hook of Owen Paul - My Favourite Waste Of Time.

This is a softer 80’s song that would’ve gone well on the more Smooth like format that Geoff Harrison was running on BH prior to its demise to Magic.

I’m actually wondering if many of the BH audience moved to KQ or its a consolidation of the top end of MMM and 973 audiences moving over to KQ?

What certainly needs to be done for KQ is to improve the digital radio uptake. Even if it is 48kbps, it’s still better than mono AM.

1 Like

Yeah I think there would definitely be some older listeners of MMM and 97.3 moving to KQ but it’s such a hard leap to go back to AM after years (decades) on FM. I’ve got friends in their late 40s and early 50s who grumble a lot about the likes of MMM and particularly 97.3 of late. But they are more likely to turn off radio and go to streaming than flick over to AM. That’s why DAB is imperative in places like Brisbane with no Gold or Smooth on FM. Radio is losing people.

I think some BH listeners have begrudgingly moved to KQ. Stalwart 4BH listeners at my local Post Office always had 4BH on but they’re now on 4KQ - interestingly they’ve listened on DAB for quite a number of years.

1 Like

Zed (JOY Melbourne) has gone from Sydney DAB.

4 Likes

Gearing up for the move to 954 perhaps?? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

JOY 954 Sydney perhaps???!!! :joy:

3 Likes

Just need to remove the response restriction and it would sound like the Melbourne broadcast!

1 Like