Digital Radio

What happens here is that the images get sent out a few KB at a time - and that your receiver needs to get that in order. So if you tune to the station mid way through that, you need to wait until it finishes sending the previous slideshow image, and then wait for it to start sending the new one.

Joy doesn’t trigger the slideshow functionality in my DAB+ receiver software, but on other community stations, there are 10-15KB images, that get downloaded at a rate of ~1KB/s - so if you tune in just as it starts sending one, you could be waiting 30 seconds before it completes that cycle and you get a slideshow image.

Remember, every bit dedicated to making those slideshow images load quicker is a bit taken away from audio quality. Given how uninteresting most of the slideshow images are, and how low the bitrates are in the first place - they come at way too high of a price imo.

7 Likes

…not to mention how probably very few people would have a receiver (taking those of us with USB tuners + appropriate software out of the equation) which can actually display the images. And that slideshow facilities are often down/unavailable for many stations.

TBH I only bother looking at DAB+ slideshow images occasionally - usually for new stations (so I’ll most likely check to see what “Urban Hits” has tomorrow) or for updated images when existing stations rebrand/have programming changes.

1 Like

I think that is increasing as more cars start coming with DAB+ capable head units - most of which have a display that supports it.

That said, I don’t think anything more than a station logo is much of a value add. Stuff like news headlines and weather end up too small to be readable - and just as easily done with scrolling text.

1 Like

Racing radio probably makes the best use of the slideshow:

4TAB

imageimage

7 Likes

There is now a loop message for Urban Hits advising:

Please rescan your digital radio now to find Kinderling Kids Radio. From Monday July 2, you’ll also get the brand new station Urban Hits.

Theres even slideshow images for these.

4 Likes

Same loop up on the website stream - http://player.hit.com.au/urbanhits/

1 Like

I noted just the one pink & yellow slideshow image on Z for Joy a week ago.
How long it’s been up prior to that I don’t know.
I didn’t have time to advise last week & then forgot about it…

Which reminds me… Koori Radio (I noted last week) seams to have also added 2 or 3 slideshow images.

2 Likes

Racing radio probably makes the best use of the slideshow:
4TAB

Yes. Brilliant!
I can’t fathom why Sky Sports Radio doesn’t do the same.
They haven’t implemented any Slideshows (from when I last looked)

1 Like

Yeah, it looks like they’ve got the weather in addition to the station logo - using the same (or a very similar) design template as other community stations that have their slideshow functionality on.

The Sky Sports Radio stations here in Sydney have done DAB+ slideshow images in the past (with OK usage of the images for race coverage and promotional content at other times, such as during breakfast) but unfortunately this functionality isn’t available at the moment.

While I’m here, Urban Hits is now on-air with music after running the placeholder loop for 24 hours. Presumably flicked over right on midnight, but can’t confirm either way. For what it’s worth, here’s a sample of what they’re running in the way of DAB+ slideshow imagery:
UrbanHitsSydneyDAB%20SlideshowJuly2018%231UrbanHitsSydneyDAB%20SlideshowJuly2018%232

4 Likes

RSN have a slide show, but it’s not as well done as 4TAB’s.

slide165964_45slide165964_47

1 Like

Yes, obviously not well done when they can’t even get the website address correct…maybe just trying to compete with the new player “all the tim”.

6 Likes

Correct, 8 commercial stations, so 2 blocks in Brisbane.

Perhaps there are some managements who actually listen to their engineers? As remote a possibility I know.

Would miss the reach of the Mt Lofty signal for Adelaide if done. Barely notice the notch towards Murray Bridge from the wonderfully high site that is Mt Lofty.

Thanks @ozbark for that slide for history. SCA and ARN have managed the transition of this leased service well.

Agree, no slideshows should be the way to go.

And they look terribly low rate on the screens, so why have it.

One of a few exceptions. 4TAB has the data for other, more primary uses and plenty of spectrum. Well done @4TAB-1008kHz and team.

2 Likes

They could always make the change, and then use the problem it creates to push for increased power levels to make up for it - just like the AM to FM conversions will do…

1 Like

Good point. I wonder what Mandurah would have to say of it? Strange they haven’t commenced the application for digital radio.

i feel for any parent who left the kids radio on kinderling without paying attenton as (at least on my car radio) it automatically switched to urban - name and all.

1 Like

An interesting topic.
I’m probably the odd one out here as I love the DAB+ slideshows.
For me it’s like comparing an old textual based MS DOS computer to a multimedia rich windows computer.
Gimme the multimedia Windows computer any day.
That said I agree some graphic resolutions on the slideshows are poor.
And some engineers at radio stations get the balancing act of slideshow resolutions & their slideshow update frequency & number of slideshow images & percentage bitrate/bandwidth vs allocation to audio better than other stations. I’m sure it’s a balancing act for those lower bitrate stations. Plenty of variables to consider.
Thing is, slideshows on the whole should be used as intended with higher bit rate stations.

I think if I was a driver of car with DAB + radio capable of displaying slideshows. I’d certainly like the option to turn the screen off or stop the screenshows updates or scrolling text. I’d like to think this is possible on most cars. Any text or changing graphics can be a dangerous distraction whilst in motion & driving, amongst the many distractions in vehicles these days.

I use & appreciate the screenshows on my computer based SDR & tabletop DAB+ radio. I do turn my nose up at those slideshow images that are:-

1. Very low resolution (not all are low) or rough scanned logos.
  2. Show those unwarranted DAB+ promo logos - why bother in long established markets?
  3. Weather 5 day forecasts; these often seam outdated compared to respected weather apps. If they were more accurate or current I’d appreciate them.
2 Likes

i unplugged my DAB+ clock radio tonight after relising the last time it was used for any music was at least 4 months ago - it was still tuned to elf radio when i turned it on.

In contrast i use my google home and amazon echo - both of which are on my bedside table, multiple times a day and they have taken the place of the radio

2 Likes

Interesting tagline on Urban Hits

5 Likes

There is now also variable scrolling text for the JOY FM audio feed on Zed

3 Likes

You’d think they would just rename the station name - even if just to ‘Zed - JOY’ if there’s some meaning behind the Zed.

1 Like