Digital Radio

No AM? That’s interesting. Especially given it’s an SUV and shown using country roads in its print and online advertising.

Maybe the FM button toggles between AM and FM.

I suspect AM would be accessed by one of the < or > arrows.

Update from specs page:

6 Likes

Yes I’d be surprised if it didn’t have AM

The Girls Play Footy Podcast, which airs on Wednesday nights at 6pm on RSN Carnival, has its 100th episode tonight.

DAB+ is set to switch on in Hobart soon.

2 Likes

Handsdown probably the worst sell of Digital Radio I’ve ever heard, particularly explaining how people will be able to tune in.

4 Likes

Just tried scanning on my digital radio here in Hobart and it picked up all the ABC and SBS stations and they appear to all be working (have audio) bar one or two stations.

5 Likes

This “interview” was appalling! She didn’t have a clue. And neither did he. As far as I can tell they didn’t even mention that ABC Hobart would be on DAB+

And as for that listener who asked about reception in Launceston… again no clue. It won’t be able to be heard there. “Get a converter or a Mercedes”. WTF?

Thank God it looks like it was broadcast at 5:30 am. When no one was listening

3 Likes

Was the Launceston listener really told to get a converter or Merc?

How ridiculous!

1 Like

On JOY they are running sweepers stating that for the next 4 days they can be heard on SBS Digital Radio 3 across the nation.

But when I listen to SBS 3 on Sydney DAB, it’s still SBS Chill.

Is this the case in BNE ADL and PER with JOY on SBS 3?

1 Like

Same in Brisbane.

Excruciating listening. Who is the male voice? Effeminate, immature comments and a Kiwi accent. How can that be #1 ???

2 Likes

Explains why Vile and Tacky Ho are number one in this shithole… :laughing:

Is anyone hearing the dropouts on the broadcast of the Mardi Gras on SBS Radio 3 and Zed?

It is 48kbps Parametric Stereo in Brisbane.

1 Like

No dropouts after several minutes of listening with either DAB+ station.
How often are the dropouts happening with you?
Maybe your SNR is low?
Audio quality is better with Zed with 48kbps (but not ideal for me being less than 56kbps) as opposed to horrible 40kbps with SBS3.
I notice however that Zed audio is lagging considerably behind that of SBS3

All the time. The presenters actually mentioned it on air that they are having technical difficulties.

The SBS should not be saying anything. They have a big powerful transmitter at Mt Dandy that booms across into Melbourne like it’s gonna give me cancer.

Sounds very soothing, like something I would hear on JOY.

Who the fu*k is this lady to say ‘no need to scan around for a callsign or a 10-something’ I don’t think every station is FM in the 100MHz range…

Bloddy stumbling on your words, sales lady, even my English teacher reprimanded me because of my choice of words in a document I had to do.

What’s this 20% uptake per year… Sounds like a lot of people are buying cars.
And what’s the shit about the ‘new options’, get yourselves a Scanner if that’s the case, plenty to listen on there.

‘Converters’ :neutral_face::neutral_face::neutral_face::neutral_face::neutral_face::neutral_face: We are not talking about transmission devices here, we are talking about RECEIVERS…

ABC Classical is available on FM everywhere, I can receive heaps of relays from here.
Tuning your frequencies?? Duhh :unamused::unamused::unamused:

Maybe someone on here can fill me with this, what did Launceston miss ten years ago? Mt Barrow seems to be the only local radio station around Launceston and that’s FM…

What a whole load of crap… Someone from reception advice should have come on…

3 Likes

And also this:

DAB+ is far from CD quality. I’d argue that FM is closer to CD quality than DAB+…

5 Likes

Saw this digital radio on sale for $19 (in store special):

Makes for an affordable entry to digital radio listening.

At this price for retail, true cost likely under $5. When are radio stations going to show some vision and start handing these out for free to the mass market as was done in the 80’s.

3 Likes

Says $24 on my end.

It’s got an alarm, 20 presets, and a display. Looks alright for $19-24 dollars.

That would make for some nostalgia in another 20 years :sunglasses::sunglasses:

2 Likes