Digital Radio

I think I heard somewhere that the reason we still have VHF for Digital TV broadcasting is because it works better in metro areas or something.

Yes, I can imagine that there would be a number of households in metro areas who never bothered with a UHF antenna just to get SBS and maybe a community TV channel.

5 Likes

What else do you expect from the pack of baboons we have in Canberra and in ACMA and in the industry? :roll_eyes::joy:

1 Like

ABC today announced changes to the Double J line-up for 2018: https://radio.press.abc.net.au/zan-rowe-tim-rogers-gemma-pike-hau-latukefu-join-double-j-as-we-farewell-myf-warhurst#

1 Like

Was in Perth this week and noticed ARN are now broadcasting 96fm, The 80s, The Edge and Elf Radio on DAB+ - all at 32kbps

2 Likes

Is Elf Radio really worth it? Such a shame for 96fm to go from one of the few 128kbps stations all the way down to 32.

Surely itā€™s in the interest of all Perth/Adelaide broadcasters to lobby to be given access to a secondary DAB multiplex - itā€™s not like thereā€™s the pressing spectrum capacity issues for adjacent markets that there are in the other states.

3 Likes

1SM is gone in Sydney,replaced by the previously gone Dance Super Digi

2 Likes

So Perth doesnā€™t get The 90s on DAB?

I think The 80s is much better anyway :smile:

Perhaps when Elf Radio finishes after Christmasā€¦

2 Likes

Does anyone have a Sangean DPR-39?

http://www.canohm.com.au/sangean-pocket-radios/sangean-dpr-39.html

I had a Sangean DT-120 (the AM/FM version), it was good & got quite a bit of use, but it only lasted about 2 years, before it got a mind of itā€™s own, doing random things.

Iā€™m thinking of upgrading to the DAB+ version, & even though itā€™s cheaper than what the DT-120 was at the time, Iā€™m not sure itā€™s worth it if itā€™ll only last a couple of years?

If anyone has the DPR-39, whatā€™s the FM & DAB+ reception like, & is the sound quality good?

Gorilla also has some form of dance music format, doesnā€™t it? If so, the return of ā€œDance Super Digiā€ doesnā€™t add much to the Sydney DAB+ landscape IMO. Fair enough, have a dance music-themed station on Sydney digital radio but is it really necessary for there to be two from the same network?

Incidentally, hereā€™s how Iā€™d program the SRN/BOG stations in Sydney if I was ever in charge:

2SM 1269: Same format as now, but with more professionalism and localism to properly compete with the MRN talk stations.
2SM Classic: Relaunched version of ā€œFun Classic Hitsā€ predominately focusing on music from the 60s to the 80s, with some 50s and 90s tunes thrown in.
Gorilla Dance Hits: Dance-themed music station.
Zoo Music Variety: Relaunched with the regional FM network music format for Sydney, excluding syndicated content for rights reasons.

2 Likes

I donā€™t know much about the DPR-39, I have the DPR-34 Plus, and it is good unit for itā€™s size.
Sound quality is good, reception isnā€™t as good as larger units, partly because the aerial is shorter, but I donā€™t many issues with reception - still possible to get Sydney FM and DAB from my place near Newcastle with only the odd drop out on DAB when walking aroundā€¦

My only real gripes with the 34 Plus are that the jog wheel is a bit hard and fiddly to use to change stations and to switch from FM to DABā€¦ The display can be hard to read too.

The DPR-35 is currently on sale at JB Hifi for $140, only a little bit more than the DPR-39 at $116, and looks to have a different wheel mechanism, so it may solve one of those above issues.

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/tv-home-entertainment/all-tv--home-entertainment/sangean/sangean-dpr-35-dab-pocket-radio-black/334608/

http://www.canohm.com.au/sangean-pocket-radios/sangean-dpr-35.html

2 Likes

Iā€™ve used both the DPR-34+ and the DPR-39. The main difference between the two is that the 39 doesnā€™t have an antenna or an internal speaker. Headphones are the antenna and I find it to work fine for reception.

My DPR-34+ ended up with a dodgy 3.5mm socket so now I just use it at home with the internal speaker only. Then bought the 39 for use with headphones when Iā€™m out and about.

2 Likes

My dpr39 now has an issue with earphone jack not fitting securely in. The dpr 34+ also died after 2 to 3 years. Now using the bush pocket radio. Its ok but keeps reseting itself.

I will be interested to see if the 2sm have changed the error correction. I will boot up my pc and check tomorrow.

1 Like

It is still on EEP 4-A.

Iā€™ve also found the sensitivity on the DPR-34 to be excellent. In Brisbane, there is almost no need to extend the antenna on DAB+ and with FM, I can get Sunny Coast FM with RDS inside.

2 Likes

The new Commodore specs are out and it looks like DAB+ on all except the base model (hard to tell though).

1 Like

JB HiFi has an expanded range of Sony digital radios. Bland styling, but itā€™s good there is more choice.

2 Likes

Ah yes, the brand new Citroen Commodore.

Citroen? I thought it was based on an Opel design?

2 Likes

Looks like the 2nd tier RS doesnā€™t get DAB either.
You have to go the mid range Calais or RS-V to get it.