Digital Radio

Just an observation now I have DAB in my car. I spend about 75% of my time on DAB listening to Pure Gold 80s & 90s, More Digital, Triple M Classic Rock, Smooth FM and Double J. Occasionally I get he need for more “live” sounding radio and flick to FM for 99.7 FM, River 94.9, Breeze FM and Rebel FM. But I never feel the need to listen to the mainstream FM stations in Brisbane, either on DAB or FM. I find it interesting that the only non-DAB stations I listen to are from outside Brisbane or are community stations like 99.7 which aren’t on DAB yet.

The DAB reception is absolutely flawless right across the metro area by the way - except in the tunnels.

1 Like

If I ever have a car that has DAB+ radio, I would be spending more time on that band whilst travelling around the Sydney metro area. As for the only non-DAB stations that you listen to being those from outside a metro market or community stations, it would be the same for me, except that Smooth is available on FM in Sydney (& Melbourne). For the record, my top FM stations whilst travelling around Sydney (in no particular order) would be Smooth, C91.3, i98, 2ST & Star 104.5. :slight_smile:

Why do Nova Entertainment continue to bother broadcasting Novanation as an Internet only station?

Heard tonight (not that I regularly listen) were ads for Stereosonic 2015 tickets at Moshtix!

The website is full of broken widgets and outdated information and posts are as scarce as followers on the Facebook page.

Are they just leaving the lights on so to speak in case Coles decide not to renew their contract (not like that will be likely considering the ratings of Coles Radio)?

1 Like

If they are still making it, I wonder why they don’t broadcast it in Brisbane where they have extra space compared to the other capitals?

For anyone that uses DAB Player software I noticed that there is a newer version dated Jan 2016. Not sure what changes/improvements have been made but it may just be that it now includes L band transmissions.

http://www.ukwtv.de/cms/downloads-aside/281-dab-player-von-andreas-gsinn.html

1 Like

Except they don’t. Nova have a total of 256kbps in Melbourne, Sydney and Adelaide from their 2 AM/FM frequencies, while in Brisbane they still only have 256kbps since they only have 1 FM frequency (plus purchased an additional 128kbps) - so since they still run Smooth as a digital only station, that leaves them with the exact same amount of bandwidth as everywhere else.

I didn’t run the numbers before that post, but if they’re broadcasting those extra Coles Radio channels, something is different about what they are doing in Brisbane.

Unless that’s just Nova being 64k or something?

Random Digital Radio Thought for the day…

WHY is CW Remix still on air right now when their shops are all closed ??

I can understand Coles Radio being on air 24/7 when some of their stores never close…

1 Like

Wouldn’t CW Remix most likely just be all automated content anyway? If so, it probably wouldn’t cost that much to run 24/7.

Yes, now that I think about it, some of those automated in store stations are surprisingly quite popular with terrestrial DAB+ listeners… as per link below.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/media/coles-radio-second-most-popular-dab-radio-station/news-story/f2f71b6729e738c25581f0e0513abd48

1 Like

paywall

Coles only has four supermarkets in Australia opening 24/7 (except for Christmas Day, Good Friday and half of Anzac Day): one in Newcastle and the other three in Melbourne (Elsternwick, East Burwood Kmart and Dandenong)

Fantastic contribution to the ongoing conversation that every time someone posts an article from news limited that you are going to be a douche and post the word paywall. It’s either you have a subscription, or you take the title of the story and plug it into Google News to gain access. But know that as there is no post counter, it doesn’t help posting paywall comment other than pointing out the obvious.

3 Likes

I don’t have a News Ltd subscription and I didn’t have any issues accessing that article (as I think can you can access 1 free one per day).

Sorry if anyone couldn’t see it… I forgot about that when I posted that link.

not all NewsLimited articles are paywalled, often one or two articles from a NewsLimited paper before a pop up appears asking you to subscribe. Also news.com.au and Leader Newspapers are unpaywalled. I was only giving a heads up that the above is a paywall.

I thought that some News Corp articles are free online (apart from “premium” articles which are paywalled), or that they give you a certain number of free articles a day.

Back to the topic at hand, I wonder if/when “EON Sports Radio” will hit the multiplexes. I have no interest in the content of the station personally, but I thought it was supposed to launch in February.

[quote=“SydneyCityTV, post:136, topic:231”]
I wonder if/when “EON Sports Radio” will hit the multiplexes.
[/quote]If they’re going to use SCA bandwidth, probably at the same time they eventually get The Range playing in Melbourne.
If they insist on only using their main multiplex, Sydney is the only city with space - Sydney has 448kbits on the main multiplex compared with 384 in Brisbane and Adelaide, and 352 in Melbourne and Perth. (With available bandwidth on the other multiplex being 160 in Melbourne, 64 in Sydney and 128 in Brisbane).
Either way, they’ll have to either get rid of a station and/or change some ARN level bitrates in EON is going to broadcast in Adelaide and Perth.

1 Like

also why isn’t Triple M Modern Rock available on DAB+ in Melbourne either? Seeing though Triple M Melbourne these days is “rock variety” which includes both classic and modern rock.

No modern rock in Brisbane either

The Triple M App is your best option for Modern Rock.