Digital Radio

Flicking through the channels on the train, came across 1SM and it was playing Amazing Grace by the Royal Scots Draggon Guards(???)…was that an example of a hit back in 2SM’s heyday? :joy::joy::joy:

Maybe as they eased out of the classical music after the Pope or Archbishop of Sydney died.

Noticed starting today that the SCA digital stations have started playing a lot of ads! A lot…

It may have something to do with this: Southern Cross Austereo (Company) - #41 by TV-Expert

1 Like

Rather than the regular on the hour ad for Nimble, Easy had a couple of minutes of other ads.

Amazingly these new ads are localised on DAB+ in Perth. I heard an ad for Metro City (which TIL is still around :astonished: ) A better effort than others cough The Edge.

Don’t think the online streams are local though, they seem to play out Melbourne ads.

Yes, I heard Melbourne ads around 5:00pm on Easy via RadioApp.

Hmm, if I go to the Hit websites (hit.com.au/oldskool or hit.com.au/easy), when you click Listen, you’re now asked to select a city. The Perth online stream matches up to Perth DAB+, and the programming is also delayed according to the timezone.

I’ll have to adjust my Sonos links.

Trying to listen to MMM Classic Rock but after waiting 10 mins for the ads to finish, I’ve given up!

3 Likes

SCA have destroyed Easy. One annoying ad for Nimble every hour, has been replaced with three minutes of ads every ten minutes. Streaming Smooth Brisbane is a better option.

2 Likes

I have to agree with @Rob2144 and @littlegezzybear in that SCA have really gone way too hard with the ad content on their DAB stations. Of course they need to play ads but boy they’ve gone completely overboard! LONG ad breaks on both Easy and the MMM stations.

2 Likes

At least KCDX is still commercial- and almost announcement- free! Rock Antenne Classic Perlen and Rock Antenne Alternative are also good choices for commercial free rock. These options are probably not available in Karen’s workplace- poor sod!

1 Like

And imagine how clients are being misled with supposed ‘bonus spots’.

The latest DAB+ ratings are out: http://www.radioalive.com.au/RA/media/General/Documents/Surveys%20for%20DAB/GfK_DAB-Only-Summary-Report-National_Survey-7-2017.pdf?ext=.pdf

Noteworthy points:

• In Sydney, MMM Classic Rock & Greatest Hits are on par, with the latter ahead in 40-54s, whilst the former leads in the 55-64s.
  • In Melbourne, The 80s has as many cumulative listeners as Talking Lifestyle.
  • In Brisbane, both MMM Classic Rock & Smooth has higher cumes than Talking Lifestyle.
  • In Adelaide, The 90s & Buddha Hits is #1, whilst in Perth, both Smooth & OldSkool Hits tops the ratings.
7 Likes

ABC Jazz has the highest cume in Sydney being way ahead in 25-39 and 55-64. Edge Digital is second, ahead in 10-17 and doing well in 18-24 and 25-39, though I wonder if some of that reported listening is actually via FM.

Meanwhile, in the 40-54s in Sydney, Double J is #1, followed by a 3-way tie of Buddha Hits, MMM Greatest Hits & The 80s. In Melbourne in that same demographic, The 80s is #1, followed by Aussie in 2nd place.

Interestingly, MMM Classic Rock have far lower cumes in Sydney on among the 40-54s with 2,000 compared to Melbourne (15,000), Brisbane (17,000) & Perth (6,000). In Sydney, MMM Greatest Hits is far more popular on among the 40-54s with 15,000, way higher than in Melbourne (6,000), Brisbane (6,000) & Adelaide (2,000).

2 Likes

Meanwhile…

Following extensive trials of DAB+ in Canberra and Darwin since 2010, applications opened yesterday for one permanent licence in each capital city.

The ACMA has published a notice inviting eligible joint venture companies to apply for foundation category 1 digital radio multiplex transmitter licences.

Source: Radioinfo

1 Like

Is 1RPH eligible??? Because the AMCA definition of the commercial and community stations that are eligible states:

The 1RPH licence area includes Wagga Wagga, so it is larger than the licence area of the commercial stations and other community stations. I hope it’s just an oversight and 1RPH is indeed eligible. Plainly the Tuggeranong, Queanbeyan and Yass community stations are not eligible to be included.

The three Darwin community radio stations have different licence areas to the two commercial stations. The licence areas are substantially different with the commercials having a bit under twice the population of the community stations. How will it work in Darwin, I wonder, as all three stations appear to be ineligible.

1 Like

I would say 1RPH are ineligible, as they’re licensed under Canberra RA2, where the Commercials & other community stations are both under Canberra RA1.

This will have to be looked at & modified if they’re serious about rolling out DAB+ regionally, though the entire LAP’s need looking at.

For example, on the NSW Central Coast, both commercials & community are under Gosford RA1 & all have the same licence area, but the community stations can only operate on FM at 1/8th the power of the commercials, to cover the same area, but theoretically both could go digital at the same power.

In Newcastle the commercials operate under Newcastle RA1, but the community stations operate under Newcastle RA2 (which is a smaller LAP area), this would also mean under those DAB+ eligibility rules, that no Newcastle community stations would be able to go digital with the commercials.

2 Likes

And Radio TAB will most likely wish to lease spectrum to continue being heard on static free digital in Darwin.

1 Like