Digital Radio

Just a quick question, what part of the DAB signal carries the time? Is the multiplex or the individual channels?

This is because my clock radio grabs the time from DAB and I had to turn it on (from standby) to update the time when DST started. For reference it was on ABC Sydney. Just wondering if it got the time from the ABC or the multiplex.

I guess the answer would lie in whether for instance, the ABC and SBS stations that are on 9C all display the same time when you press the ‘info’ button on the display.

Well 1SM is back. No call ID though (at this stage). Just 50 -70s music.

1 Like

The latest DAB+ ratings are out: http://www.gfk.com/en-au/insights/report/digital-radio-report/

This survey sees the debut of the new Triple M DAB+ stations, with Classic Rock scoring particularly well. In Sydney, ABC Jazz tops the list, followed by The Edge & Coles Radio. In Melbourne, Triple M Classic Rock Digital tops the chart on debut, followed by Double J, Easy Hits, The 80s, Coles Radio, ABC Jazz & Aussie. It’s worth noting that MMM Classic Rock, Double J & Easy Hits have higher cumes than Talking Lifestyle 1278.

In Brisbane, Coles Radio is #1, followed by ABC Grandstand, OldSkool Hits & MMM Classic Rock. The first two have a higher cume than Talking Lifestyle 882. In Adelaide, The 90s is #1, followed by Smooth, The 80s, Coles & Double J, whilst in Perth, Smooth tops the chart, followed by OldSkool Hits, Double J & My Perth Digital, which tied with Buddha Hits.

4 Likes

I am in the process of updating my mini HiFi system to something a bit better sounding and with more modern features like Wifi and Bluetooth (which my current $350 Panasonic SA-PMX5DB doesn’t have, which I’ve had for about 6 years now).

The 2 contenders are these:

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/tv-home-entertainment/micro-hi-fi/sony/sony-cmt-sx7-hi-fi-system-with-usb/808894/

and

http://www.audiojunction.com.au/shop-product/micro-systems/denon-d-m41-micro-hifi-system

There is DAB+ version of the above Denon unit at $999, but apparently, there has been a hold up with the development of DAB for this unit and there is no ETA on when it will be available…

The salesman at Audio Junction (Newcastle) tried to tell me that “Digital Radio is only available within a 26 km radius of Sydney” (which I have never heard stated before)… I told him where I live (which is over 100 km from Sydney as the crow flies) and I can get it, to which I either think he didn’t believe and/or was thinking “what do you need it for” , as he also tried to convince me that I should stream internet radio to it instead.

The Denon was a very nice sounding unit, but then so was the Sony… so it looks like it is going to be the latter… as there doesn’t appear to be anything else around in the $800-$1,000 bracket that has DAB+, FM, Wifi, Bluetooth etc.

There are 4 JB HiFi stores in Newcastle, but NONE had the Sony unit in stock :frowning_face: … so it will need to be ordered in… which should only take 3-4 days… So I will pop back to my local Charlestown store tomorrow, and order that, I think.

1 Like

Just had a look and there’s only 1 store in Melbourne that has it in stock, and 6 in Sydney - so it can’t be a very popular model for them.
Looks like a nice unit though.

1 Like

WHEN is 2CH going to get with the times and put Song info on Digital Radio? And multi stations would be nice too.

There is no 2nd line text AT ALL… Just 2CH 1170 on the top line and that’s it.

…

2SM does have multi stations with Song into, but oddly the main station is still 100% mono with no 2nd line text either…

Right now 2SM is playing Don McLean’s “American Pie” in MONO… :crazy_face: Oh the horror… It’s like listening to AM radio, that deserves another :crazy_face:

2 Likes

the main 2SM is mostly talk, though; I’d hate to hear how Carter’s country music show sounds (let alone in mono)

1 Like

Being talk stations doesn’t seem to stop 2GB, Talking Lifestyle or even ABC Radio Sydney from having at least their studio-based programing in stereo.

3 Likes

in Melbourne AM community radio station 3CR has its DAB+ digital feed in mono, most of its programming is (left-wing) talk and ethnic but has lots of music programmes as well.

2 Likes

Ausmusic Month - November

ABC Jazz

ABC Jazz will be hitting the road during Ausmusic Month, bringing live music from Wangaratta, a town that has played host to some of the most progressive Australian (and international) jazz musicians for over two decades. Highlights include coverage of the National Jazz Awards on 5 November. ABC Jazz and ABC Music will also release a digital compilation album, Jazz Calls, boasting some of the best recordings made by the network in the past 18 months.

1 Like

In Sydney, a new pop up station Christnas Hope has, well, popped up on my radio.

Looks like Hope 103.2 is running this… it’s just dead air at the moment though.

1 Like

Yeah, Christmas Hope has been running on Sydney DAB+ for a few festive seasons now. Obviously from the same people who bring you Hope 103.2 and Inspire Digital.

I suppose it won’t be overly long before ARN brings Elf Radio back for another year.

4 Likes

Melbourne also has Light Christmas every year from the Light FM/Light Digital community group.

2 Likes

Have there been any updates on planning for DAB roll-out to the Gold Coast or other regional areas?
It seems painfully slow…

3 Likes

Canberra should be straightforward you would think as they have been test broadcasting for over seven years, but nothing has happened.

2 Likes

Ditto for Brisbane but now with Christmas music.

1 Like

Christmas Hope is now playing music here in Sydney as well.

For those interested, it’s on the “DAB+ Sydney 1” 9A multiplex at 48kbps.

1 Like

The Brisbane licensees remain in disagreement with the Gold Coast and vice versa. Radiation pattern and timing of implementation remain the points of disagreement + the other market licensees e.g Caralis & Jowitt and others who are not happy at their exclusion.

You also have the ABC and (more muted) SBS who quite rightly argue that they should not be limited by commercial radio licence areas and should have a full OD pattern, this would improve coverage to the west and south. I am in support of this as it would show the full potential of ERP 50kW OD in Bris for DAB+. Remember the current analogue FM allocation is OD and 96kW for the nationals and -9dB and same for the commercials and community Bris RA1.

There’s also the ridiculous 5kW cap on regional allocations. If implemented, creates a costly SFN arrangement with rental of the DTV sites and more across the Gold Coast. If only 5kW from Tamborine, large areas will have poor or no signal. Higher ERP from Tamborine will reduce the number of translators. Remember, the Gold Coast FM signal drops off when you go south of Burleigh ridge as it is.

Canberra is the same, the ABC provided public modelling of what 20kW ERP covers - how it is needed, but instead, -6dB of this is allocated. Capital argued similar. 20kW is very much justified considering the terrain and again, limits the cost of multiple sites.

3 Likes

Kmart have the following DAB/FM for $29… And as I had the “I need another radio” bug again, I bought one! At that price, I thought, how bad can it be?! It’s my first foray into the el cheapo end of radio.

http://www.kmart.com.au/product/fm-and-dab+-digital-radio/1217809

First, the bad:

• Display is hard to read, particularly outside with sunglasses on, even with mains power connected. This can’t be adjusted unfortunately.

• Can be quite prone to noise on FM on weak signals, but this can be nulled out to a degree.

• Sound is a bit too bright, lacking in bass even when using headphones. Not quite loud enough on DAB, though fine on FM.

• Doesn’t cope well with splatter, no chance of me hearing eg. SWR 999 next to Rhema 99.7 (other radios I have cope better with this).

The good

• Does pick up fair to strong signals clearly on FM ( though it had issues with 96.1 The Edge for some reason).

• No issues with DAB reception

• Has RDS on FM! That was a nice surprise at this price point! Worked well on most stations.

• Also has a signal strength bar on FM, wasn’t expecting that either.

All in all, not too bad for $29, but wont be using it a lot. The dim display spoils it a bit. Will try it indoors one night and see how it goes then.

2 Likes