Digital Radio

No wonder EON Sports Radio are in financial trouble, a very disappointing result for them.

Something I don’t really understand is how come Coles Radio is far more popular than Chemist Warehouse Remix?

2 Likes

Yes Dab+ on the Coast will be problematic even at 5KW which is the maximum ACMA will licence for regional markets. Let’s hope if DAB+ comes they don’t licence it for anything less.

They will have to use Forresters and Bouddi with relatively high powered directional beams into these blackspot areas, and or add additional DAB+ translators.

Coles Radio?!? what is wrong with people

:point_down:

Down Down

Yes, the results for ABC Jazz and Coles surprised me the most there.

And I think some people have reported listening to The Edge on FM in this survey even though it’s meant to be Digital and Online only figures.

1 Like

There you have it Bill’s BOG DAB+ stations are not surveyed, just like in the official Sydney ratings. Obviously don’t want to pay to have them included!

1 Like

Good to see the more detailed digital results - even if cume isn’t the best measure for real listening - the strong result for ABC Extra would show that off well (they are currently my most listened to digital station, but only for the cricket coverage).

Comments Melbourne focused - and from a quick look, contradicted elsewhere

LOL @ NTS - pathetic station rates pathetically. Stupid that they didn’t put a Magic music loop on DAB.

Buddha being that much above Koffee surprises me, I wonder how NovaNation would be rating if they kept it the other way around when they dropped one for Coles?

Aussie doing well isn’t surprising - it’s a really good format -

The ABC’s content is interesting - not surprised Jazz and Double J do well - I wonder if those include digital TV listening?

The demographics seem really strange - Aussie and not Easy as the top over 65s station in Melbourne? NTS getting its listener in 18-24?

Well people probably sample Coles Radio in store far more, and it’s a far more adventurous music mix - certainly a better one in my view. The ‘CW Remix’ name on DAB probably doesn’t help people discover it, even if they did like it.

Given the ratings of the two iHeartRadio stations, they might be better served going back to being the product placement on that station - they originally launched as Chemist Warehouse Mix 90s.

They don’t have overall figures for the time sessions. The closest they have is Monday-Friday, so the difference would be the number who only listen on the weekend.

I would never touch Chemist Warehouse.

1 Like

My thoughts exactly re Coles radio! What is wrong with people. That’s if you believe the figures. They can’t possibly be right can they? The only place I’ve ever heard Coles radio is in Coles.

Yeah ABC Jazz surprises me. Wonder if some people are actually listening on Digital TV. Might also bump up the Double J figures.

In Sydney I’m sure the FM signal helps The Edge figures.

2 Likes

With the results presented as cumulative audience makes it hard to compare. Having the highest cume means just that the station has the highest number of listeners. If Coles Radio listeners are reporting hearing the radio in store for 15 minutes once per week, how does that compare to another station like Koffee that might be the station of choice at a workplace for 8 hours per day 5 days per week. As has been mentioned ABC Grandstand might be sampled for say 2 hours on a Saturday only. Comparing to AM/FM ratings the station with the highest audience share doesn’t usually have the largest number of listeners.

3 Likes

What surprises me about DAB ratings is when Austereo issue a press release OMG doesn’t get mentioned does anyone else think that’s weird

1 Like

Nah, that’s just because of their impending relaunch as a Jazz only station.

Yeah that’s a valid point becouse let’s be honest here we are dealing with Austereo not the smartest radio company in the world and another thing they’ve covered nearly every single format on DAB radio the only two that are missing is jazz and classic rock

1 Like

They did have Triple M Classic Rock Digital, but it was too popular for their liking as it was deemed to be taking listeners away from their main FM station. So elements of it was incorporated into their FM station, and OMG! replaced it.

Yeah you’re right that did happen but I was wondering why they don’t mention omg in their press releases Ps half of those press releases are bs anyway

You’re right. I didn’t notice one was Mon-Fri vs Mon-Sun.

And TV Cynic raises a good point. They are only cume audiences. The figures only reflect that someone listened for a short period at least once in a week. Not how long. They could be listening to Easy for hours but this survey doesn’t show it.

Also let’s remember that the audience figures are pretty low. So unless they have a huge sample they shouldn’t be taken too seriously.

1 Like

Id just like to say I really liked Stardust and I miss it … it had character of its own

and I am way out of the demographic

3 Likes

Probably because if what @Moe said above is correct, OMG! is being replaced soon