Digital Radio

the thing is i’m not sure how many EPL fans would tune into EON. first, how many have a digital radio? next with the BBC world service having relatively good EPL coverage during sportsworld? it’s so easy to get the BBC - besides newsradio, theres a ton of community stations that carry it overnight.

Especially as SBS Radio 4 on digital radio is almost always running the BBC World Service.

I suppose it being only on Optus Sport helps somewhat increase the total audience willing to listen to a radio broadcast - likewise it’s probably easier to discover something that promotes itself as a sports service?

Bit late to reply, but if you look at the transmit power needed for equivalent coverage of the standard 3A FEC, when using 4A (which some stations do), that means you need a transmit power of 200kW compared with the current 50kW used with FEC 3A.

The dB scale is logarithmic, +3dB is double the power 50 to 100kW, another +3dB is double again, 100 to 200kW.

That’s why you’ll have problems if a station uses 4A FEC. Essentially that’s like them transmitting at 12.5kW when the others are transmitting at 50kW.

1 Like

I thought that when EON started broadcast live EPL from Talksport, other radio stations like SBS Radio 4 and ABC NewsRadio might have to drop Sportsworld from their overnight schedule. Guess it is not the case.

the claims were made that EON would be the exclusive radio broadcaster of the EPL but in reality this did not happen

Okay… this is just weird. Melbourne’s Classic Rock Radio is broadcasting horse racing this afternoon. Not all the time, but interspersed with the usual music format.

Thought it might have been some kind of switching / links error. But no. They’ve been id’ing as CRR. And it’s on both AM and DAB+. It’s sister station SEN isn’t broadcasting horse racing.

Why on earth would CRR want to irritate the crap out of its listener with horse racing?!

2 Likes

I thought RSN on 927am would have had sole rights to horse racing coverage on the radio in Victoria?

They did this a few weeks back, I believe SEN was taking an AFL preseason game.

Didn’t realise SEN aired horse racing, though? As above, I expected no other Melbourne station aside from RSN would bother.

1 Like

The 2SM Telstra link issue seems to have been fixed!

Have listened to a bit of 1SM and FUN so far tonight, and no glitches!

Hooray!
I quite like the music on FUN, but it was just unlistenable with those glitches.

2 Likes

##sbs Arabic24 marks first anniversary with the launch of 24/7 digital TV

To celebrate the one year anniversary of SBS Arabic24, SBS today announces that the service will be available on digital TV from 3 April 2017.

Since its launch on 7 March 2016, SBS Arabic24 has drawn significant audience growth on radio and online, offering Arabic speaking Australians and communities an impartial destination focusing on life in Australia, with global and local perspectives on world news.

SBS Director of Audio and Language Content, Mandi Wicks, said: “SBS Radio continues to play a vital role for Australia’s multicultural communities and we’re thrilled with SBS Arabic24’s growth and achievements across the last twelve months.

“We continue to explore new ways to connect diverse audiences with our distinctive multiplatform services and look forward to reaching more Arabic speaking Australians through the digital TV platform from April.”

To mark today’s anniversary, SBS Arabic24 is bringing audiences a special day of programming in the community and in studio and kicked off the celebrations at 6am with breakfast show hosts Ghassan Nakhoul and Sylva Mezher live from Centenary Square in Parramatta in Sydney.

Throughout the day presenters are taking a nostalgic trip, revisiting the launch of the service and also some of the biggest news stories from across the year. Coverage of the Yazidi refugees’ arrival in Wagga Wagga, an interview with MP Ann Ali and many other memorable interviews also feature as part of the anniversary programming.

Today from 5pm, the evening show welcomes a live session from the strumming harmonious melodies of the Mesopotamian Trio, three Iraqi musicians who shed light on the musical essence of their homeland.

Hmmm… what’s it going to replace?

SBS Arabic 24 has been on DAB+ for over a year, the announcement relates to adding the audio service to Digital TV where SBS Radio 1, 2 & 3 can already be accessed.

Radio 3 is currently Chill ~ so chances are the lounge lizards will miss out on their music… because I doubt Radio 4 (the Beeb WS) will be replaced.

SBS Radio 4 isn’t on digital TV, only DAB+.

My money is on Radio 3.

They use negligible data - no reason SBS couldn’t provide all their radio services on TV.

Indeed I’m kinda surprised there aren’t Food Network/Viceland style branded radio channels yet.

Guess what still exists…

Still silence - and I didn’t see any trace of the scrolling text, but still running the service. Perhaps they can resurrect it some time in April.

5 Likes

Yes it seems it all good. I did bushwalk in the rain and seems 2sm is better. Seems 1SM and Fun are better too. Would say flicking between 1SM and FUN are my favourite digital radio stations. The quality of sound is OK too. I don’t seem to be in area where it being 4A is a massive issue. Car might be an issue but that’s a different story.

1 Like

Yeah… it’d be good to hear them rise from the dead.

It was silence since about February.

Yep, hence me quoting the post I made in late January about it…