Digital Radio

Melbourne has’nt has The Range on Digital in over a Year.

Hmm OMG radio now replace Classic Rock. Some sort of 80s and 70s station.

Yeah OMG indeed. Seems to be a ‘random music’ format with the worlds most annoying catch-phrase “O.M.G.” between EVERY song… yeah that won’t become annoying… oh wait, it already is :slight_smile:

If you ask me, the name and even the logo for “OMG!” looks and sounds like it should be for a trashy celebrity gossip show or magazine rather than a '70s/'80s digital station:

3 Likes

So nothing to do with Orchestral Manoeuvres or Ozark Mountains?

1 Like

Where did you find that image, SCTV? I’ve scoured Facebook for an OMG! Radio page, but have only turned up a Polish station amongst other things. A Google image search also yields no joy.

Perhaps “I Can’t Believe It’s Another Digital Radio Station” would have been a better choice…

The DAB+ slideshow, of course! :slight_smile:

Of course, though I’m not as well endowed as you, so I can’t see it…

(In the DAB+ tuner department).

1 Like

I noticed that sometimes the slideshow has album art but not always.

2 Likes

Admittedly, I only use a cheap software-defined Digital TV/DAB+/FM USB tuner and the DAB Player software (the site is in German, however easily translatable and the software does have an English language version) to get all these DAB+ slideshow images. You can also see the exact bitrates of the audio streams for stations with this as well. :slight_smile:

Unfortunately, my main DAB+ radios aren’t sophisticated enough to display the slideshow images!

It’s seem too much like wsfm. Anyway I think they don’t want too much success. That’s dangerous for triple m.

2 Likes

Except that would be OMD

Perhaps they were thinking of OMC and got the spelling wrong…
Which is pretty apt.
How Bizarre!

2 Likes

I think it shows two things - they really don’t want anything that will “succeed” against Triple M. What they may find disappointing however is that I’d still rather listen to that than have to endure a minute on Triple M FM.
And secondly they are afraid of iPods and Pandora. The songs are very random and iPod like (well I’m assuming many iPods are random like mine). Anyway, it sucks :slight_smile: Bring back Classic Rock - someone!

(And thirdly, they’ll probably close it down the minute it pulls 5,000 listeners just in case 1 of them would otherwise listen to Triple M FM)

2 Likes

SCA is living up to OMG!'s slogan “Everything You Weren’t Expecting!”. :stuck_out_tongue:

Roy & HG fans can hear a familiar voice though (just tuned in).

As someone who is a fan of 80s music I might give this a go, let’s see how much variety there is and if they dare to play any ‘forgotten’ tracks.

I’ll stick to the80s.com.au thanks. Plenty of rare tracks over there, and a huge amount of vinyl too!

SCA has also axed Easy and OldSkool in Melbourne. Buddah is still on the air.

I’m getting both Easy and Old Skool in Melbourne.

Full Melbourne DAB station listing for what it's worth:

9A
1116 SEN 56 kbps
1377 3MP 56 kbps
Aussie 56 kbps
KOOOL 56 kbps
Rythmos 32 kbps

Nova 100 112 kbps
Coles Radio 40 kbps
Koffee 40 kbps
smoothfm 91.5 64 kbps

RSN Racing&Sport 64 kbps
RSN Carnival 48 kbps
RSN Carnival 2 24 kbps
TAB Live 24 kbps

3MBS Fine Music 64 kbps
3RRR Digital 64 kbps
3ZZZ Ethnic 64 kbps
IRIS Melbourne 32 kbps
LightDigital 32 kbps

9B

3AW 96 kbps
Magic 64 kbps
News Talk Sport 64 kbps

Triple M 56 kbps
Fox 56 kbps
Buddha Radio 48 kbps
Easy 48 kbps
Old Skool 48 kbps
OMG! 48 kbps
Kinderling Kids 48 kbps

Gold104.3 48 kbps
KIIS 101.1 48 kbps
EON Sports Radio 32 kbps
CW Remix 32 kbps
The 80s 32 kbps
The 90s 32 kbps
The Edge 32 kbps

VAR Digital 32 kbps
3CR Digital 64 kbps
3 Kool N Deadly 64 kbps
PBS Digital 64 kbps
SYN Nation 64 kbps

9C
774 ABCMelbourne 64 kbps
ABC Classic FM 80 kbps
ABC Country 80 kbps
ABC Extra 72 kbps
ABC Grandstand 40 kbps
ABC Jazz 80 kbps
ABCNewsRadio 48 kbps
ABCRadioNational 64 kbps
Double J 80 kbps
triple j 80 kbps
triplejUnearthed 72 kbps

SBS Arabic24 48 kbps
SBS Chill 56 kbps
SBS PopAsia 64 kbps
SBS PopDesi 48 kbps
SBS Radio 1 40 kbps
SBS Radio 2 40 kbps
SBS Radio 3 40 kbps
SBS Radio 4 48 kbps

I’m not, on both my DAB+ radios. On these channels I get “OFF AIR”.

Yeah the branding is easily the worst part of the station - the music format essentially sounds like what Gold did about a decade ago - before they started bringing in 90s-00s music.

A worse format than classic rock - but it’s certainly finding a niche away from Triple M, so SCA’s shortsighted goal is met.

But very annoying branding - that also does nothing to get people to try it, because no one’s going to associate OMG with the music format it has.

1 Like