Digital Radio

Very good post there, especially regarding the limitations of the proposed amounts of DAB+ coverage for outside of towns - something I’ve been banging on about here since I first saw those planning documents.

The current proposal for DAB+ is just unworkable on the face of it for regional areas - and nothing I’ve seen suggests that the CRA have a better plan beyond begging for more spectrum to be handed to them.

DRM would be particularly good for remote area broadcasters - Rebel/Breeze could perhaps operate a pair of DRM30 transmitters, they could broadcast their primary programs to huge amounts of their broadcast area that currently aren’t covered by terrestrial radio - at least outside of maybe a very high powered AM ABC station.

That said, given remote zone DAB allocations were made, what stops Rebel just applying for those now and getting on air? Would be hilarious if they managed to get their Mt Tamborine site on air before Gold Coast DAB exists.

3 Likes

Actually that would be hilarious if Rebel/Breeze launched DAB from Mt Tambourine while the big boys were still squabbling.

3 Likes

I see that Territory FM and 97seven , 2 Darwin community stations are now broadcasting in DAB. Discovered them by accident last night. Does anyone know when they started broadcasting .

5 Likes

Is 8KNB 94.5 on DAB there?

1 Like

I don’t think so. Just the 2 as mentioned above.

2 Likes

After weeks of dead air, sound has returned to ZOO in Sydney.
Hooray!
BUT still in mono though… sigh.

3 Likes

@gordo92 can you let them know?

3 Likes

And the online streams for Zoo and Gorilla are still down, while we’re on the subject

2 Likes

I’ve just noticed Elf Radio is back on air already and it’s only October! :santa: :mrs_claus: :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Aren’t they a bit late!

I think Christmas Hope has been back on air since May already?

Christmas Hope doesn’t appear to be on air.

1 Like

Will send the guy a email in Sydney :grin:

2 Likes

A Gold 104.3 promo just slipped through on WSFM 80s.

2 Likes

This is interesting. From memory the 80s and stations were all played out locally (using an identical music log). This must have changed?

1 Like

Is there a 4kq 70’s in brisbane or is it 4kq 80’s just like wsfm/gold 104.3?

There is no 4KQ 70s (there really should be one, especially in Sydney & Melbourne), but there is 97.3 80s available.

1 Like

No but there should be. I’ve even written to ARN suggesting it but no reply of course. They should do a 4KQ/2WS/3KZ/5AD 70s station.

3 Likes

iHeartRadio has a 70s stream so it shouldn’t be too difficult. They also have 50s and 60s.

1 Like

I dusted off my Blaupunkt DAB radio that I haven’t used for a while, and found that somewhat surprisingly 2RPH (in Sydney) seems to have the best use of slideshow images, including “Now” and “Next” program info - like the following.

Which I thought was somewhat ironic since their listeners are probably the most likely to be sight challenged and not able to benefit from it as much.

4 Likes

“Gold 104.3” contest promo as heard on 97.3 80’s today.

3 Likes